U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Downtown LA
1,192 posts, read 1,231,409 times
Reputation: 848

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
LA is "FAKE" b/c of its high % population to be very artificial & flaky. When a person arranges a plan to meet up with someone at a certain date, place, & time; therefore, he/she expects this person to be there. Unless he/she contacts his/her meeting to be a little delayed ahead of time then it is fine. However, when this person flakes out & he/she doesn't show up at all then this is very inconsiderate. The person spends his/her day, money, & time to arrange this meeting in order to make it happen. This is one of the reasons why LA is "FAKE" due to poor time mgmt.

YES, unfortunately the Hollywood culture didn't help to portray this image. Sadly this is how out of towners will feel very disappointed when they visit LA. The glitz & glamour is not what it is cracked up to be unimpressive. You will see LA's true gritty & ugliness.

Oh I forgot to text here about how LA folks are not "CULTURED" to be defined as "KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM." Those stereotypical LA folks "DON'T CARE" to be defined again as "LAID BACK" of what is going on around the globe, or have a philosophical conversation. It seems for them to be self-centered with their superficial celebrity status, multiple plastic surgeries, road rage, or too busy to be stuck in traffic, etc.
More tired LA tropes. I'm annoyed at myself for even taking the time to respond to your earlier comment, as your history shoes you to be a flamebait-posting troll with a chip on his shoulder about LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
9,197 posts, read 13,497,623 times
Reputation: 6317
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
LA is "FAKE" b/c of its high % population to be very artificial & flaky. When a person arranges a plan to meet up with someone at a certain date, place, & time; therefore, he/she expects this person to be there. Unless he/she contacts his/her meeting to be a little delayed ahead of time then it is fine. However, when this person flakes out & he/she doesn't show up at all then this is very inconsiderate. The person spends his/her day, money, & time to arrange this meeting in order to make it happen. This is one of the reasons why LA is "FAKE" due to poor time mgmt.

YES, unfortunately the Hollywood culture didn't help to portray this image. Sadly this is how out of towners will feel very disappointed when they visit LA. The glitz & glamour is not what it is cracked up to be unimpressive. You will see LA's true gritty & ugliness.

Oh I forgot to text here about how LA folks are not "CULTURED" to be defined as "KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM." Those stereotypical LA folks "DON'T CARE" to be defined again as "LAID BACK" of what is going on around the globe, or have a philosophical conversation. It seems for them to be self-centered with their superficial celebrity status, multiple plastic surgeries, road rage, or too busy to be stuck in traffic, etc.
And you have how much firsthand experience with this? About how long have you lived there?

As one who grew up there and frequently visits, my own experience suggests the above to be the exception to the norm, to put it ever so mildly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
66 posts, read 66,665 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
"So you claim" - Ali G.

"I know folks, who smoke crack & they make more sense than you" - Ex. Convict, Austin Powers, Gold Member.
Speak for yourself. You sound like you are from flyover and couldnt distinguish between natural beauty and fake implants. Frisco's the most boring city I have been to. Ugly chatty nerdy socially awkward women with a closet kink fetish and an appetite to stop partying at midnight. Eww. Definition of soulless and boring. Suits flyover country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 05:55 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 4,196,212 times
Reputation: 1636
I've not read this whole thread, but two aspects come to mind, about both LA and so cal as a whole:

People come to/migrate from other places to LA/so cal FOR THE IMAGE. So they perpetuate and help to cultivate said image. Even if the image is a stereotype and not 'real'. SO, you have many people [not all] living a life that is 'in their minds' [or dreams, or nightmares....etc etc]. The fact that you are wearing a costume to live a life that you imagine, makes it fake. People move to reinvent themselves all of the time. To many places around the world. From rural to urban, etc etc

LA is a huge magnet for this scenario, however, b/c of the entertainment industry, the size of the city and the west coast/CA gold rush mindset. It's CA as a whole and specifically so cal/LA, as the projection for dreams, and has been for many people, for decades and decades. In fact, it was/is where many people do make their dreams come true. And many others simply live a facade.

Stereotype (also a true one in my experience): So CAL as a whole is known for its laid back attitude, and it also tends towards superficial/less intellectual interests. This is true on average, and as far as atmosphere. Some contributing reasons, in my view:

The region does not have an entrenched academic/upper class/boarding school lineage, etc.
*Not tied to tradition and set mindset/ways of doing things, compared to many, older or less transient parts of the country. Again, this is a draw for people. But this characteristic contributes to a less engaged or cohesive reality, too. 'Do your own thing' is very cool, appealing and alluring. But it means that people will be....doing their own things!!!

When people move to LA or CA to perpetuate that reality, it's because it is desirable to them. Some visit or move here and find that this attitude of laid back instead/also feels disinterested and insincere. And the superficial translates as fake. I wonder if there is also a longer term midwestern 'nice' influence that has rubbed off, as well. Because people are not particularly comfortable being very straight forward and seem to try to be 'nice' and avoid conflict.

Conversations more than 3 sentences each way seem to make people nervous. lol [My source for this opinion: Grew up in the NE, lived in MT, CO, SFO and now 10 years in SD]. People from the NE in particular, through the mid atlantic seaboard, and maybe the chicago area, can get kind of bummed with the make plans and not follow through thing. Or the superficial thing can seem evasive. Or the nice chat but not really interested in doing anything about it except being superficially pleasant-in-that-moment attitude gets to some (ie, not making any plans after that initial nice chat, whether for friends or dating wise).

I personally have found that there are many different types of people in so cal (shock of shocks, I know!!!), though the overarching atmosphere does fit the stereotypes to a large extent. Similarly, certain cultural attributes/stereotypes are pervasive in different areas of the country-new england, northwest, texas, deep south, etc.

So CAL definitely has a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to it, however, b/c so many people are drawn to invent or reinvent or escape themselves through what the project onto the area. Some do this, and become the stereotype, furthering the cycle. (:

I mean, I can tell people that my spouse and family are SD natives, and many of my first friends when I moved here are SD/so cal/LA natives and how down to earth they are, etc. and people do not believe me. None of them (the natives I know) fit the stereotype AT ALL. And they are from diverse backgrounds. The people I meet who do fit the stereotype are actually from elsewhere. lol.

What can you do? LA: The city people love to hate.

I am, however, finding it weird how many threads on this forum bash the looks of women in SFO/bay area. Strange...Haven't seen many threads discussing guys in the bay area vs. so cal. I'm sure they exist. But, I can assure you, you're not all princes, fellas! lol I amuse myself... Why does this get discussed, however, in a moving/city forum? Shouldn't those types of discussions be in the general forums under some random, highly subjective and inflammatory topic, with a telling title so that women or anyone could enter at own risk?

Last edited by lrmsd; 01-07-2014 at 07:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 PM
 
2,147 posts, read 4,196,212 times
Reputation: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
I have to admit LA ppl are weak. I always thought I wasnt macho enough in Texas but in LA I'm like Mark Whalberg by comparison to some of the guys here. I'm talking about straight guys too
I think this may be the best/funniest thing I've read on CD...very funny. But how many LA people are FROM LA???? Or is it the self fulfilling prophecy of people moving here from elsewhere to find their dream version of LA and furthering contributing to it? Though, generally, yes, west coast guys are a little more 'yin' than the rest of the country. I personally find this has positive attributes, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:17 PM
 
132 posts, read 156,887 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
More tired LA tropes. I'm annoyed at myself for even taking the time to respond to your earlier comment, as your history shoes you to be a flamebait-posting troll with a chip on his shoulder about LA.
TROLL? = SUCH EURO SLANG NONSENSE!

Yes, I was born in LA & raised in the SF Valley. Until I graduated from HS in the late 1990s. Afterwards I moved & lived up in San Francisco during the late 1990s & early 2000s. Yes again, I was there when the Dot Com was at its peak & decline. When I first arrived to SF at the time that I fell in love with the city such as its architecture, cuisine, mass transit, & the list goes on. I left b/c of the POLITICAL ACTIVIST CULTURE TO BE AN OVERKILL & FLAWED. Once I left the WC & I traveled across the nation & world for that matter. I got to observe various cultural & philosophical perspectives in order to broaden my horizon & intelligence. Whether or not if I agree with them, but during my travels that most people could really careless about CA. Maybe they ask about CA's nice climate & geography, but as far as the stereotypical characters to be "FAKE." There I texted it.

I have no regrets to leave CA & WC at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:43 PM
 
132 posts, read 156,887 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
And you have how much firsthand experience with this? About how long have you lived there?

As one who grew up there and frequently visits, my own experience suggests the above to be the exception to the norm, to put it ever so mildly.
FYI,

I was born in LA & raised in the SF Valley. Until I graduated from HS in the late 1990s. Afterwards I moved & lived up in San Francisco. Yes, I was there when the Dot Com was at its peak & decline. When I first arrived to SF; therefore, I really fell in love with the city such as its architecture, cuisine, mass transit, & the list goes on. But I eventually moved out of SF b/c of its POLITICAL ACTIVIST CULTURE TO BE AN OVERKILL & FLAWED. It's funny how these so-called political activists try so hard to make their claim to fame statements about their anarchism & socialism during traffic rush hour in downtown SF. How they block the streets to hate capitalism, yet they cause destruction & havoc not to be very peaceful. So they can show how mad they are throughout the nation & globe to be childish.

Once I left CA & I joined the US Air Force to be stationed nearby New Orleans. At the same time that I got to travel across the country & world for that matter. Yes, I did 1 tour in Iraq during 2004-05 timeframe. But I have no regrets to be deployed & served my country. Despite all of the bureaucratic stuff behind closed doors & out open in the media. I got to see how other people in very poor nations live to be very sad, but we should be thankful to live in a industrialized nation to have modern things.

After my honorable discharged from the USAF, I decided to move & live up in the EC. I attended & graduated in business marketing & finance from Temple U in Philly. Meanwhile I did an internship in Boston before I graduated. Now I live in NYC baby! At the same time, I still travel around the country & world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
 
132 posts, read 156,887 times
Reputation: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to the 'States View Post
Speak for yourself. You sound like you are from flyover and couldnt distinguish between natural beauty and fake implants. Frisco's the most boring city I have been to. Ugly chatty nerdy socially awkward women with a closet kink fetish and an appetite to stop partying at midnight. Eww. Definition of soulless and boring. Suits flyover country.
"COCAINE IS A HELL OF A DRUG" - RICK JAMES, DAVE CHAPELLE SHOW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
 
1,971 posts, read 2,389,031 times
Reputation: 2167
NYC kinda took the fakeness crown during the past 10 years when it turned into a place where people from LA moved to pretend to be New Yorkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 PM
 
5,807 posts, read 10,367,791 times
Reputation: 4311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
I've not read this whole thread, but two aspects come to mind, about both LA and so cal as a whole:

People come to/migrate from other places to LA/so cal FOR THE IMAGE. So they perpetuate and help to cultivate said image. Even if the image is a stereotype and not 'real'. SO, you have many people [not all] living a life that is 'in their minds' [or dreams, or nightmares....etc etc]. The fact that you are wearing a costume to live a life that you imagine, makes it fake. People move to reinvent themselves all of the time. To many places around the world. From rural to urban, etc etc

LA is a huge magnet for this scenario, however, b/c of the entertainment industry, the size of the city and the west coast/CA gold rush mindset. It's CA as a whole and specifically so cal/LA) the projection for dreams, and has been for many people, for decades and decades. In fact, it was/is where many people do make their dreams come true. And many others simply live a facade.

Stereotype (also a true one in my experience): So CAL as a whole is known for its laid back attitude, and it also tends towards superficial/less intellectual interests. This is true on average, and as far as atmosphere. Some contributing reasons, in my view:

The region does not have an entrenched academic/upper class/boarding school lineage, etc.
*Not tied to tradition and set mindset/ways of doing things, compared to many, older or less transient parts of the country. Again, this is a draw for people. But this characteristic contributes to a less engaged or cohesive reality, too. 'Do your own thing' is very cool, appealing and alluring. But it means that people will be....doing their own things!!!


When people come to perpetuate that reality, it's because it is desirable to them. Some visit or move here and find that this attitude of laid back instead/also feels disinterested and insincere. And the superficial translates as fake. I wonder if there is also a longer term midwestern 'nice' influence that has rubbed off, as well. Because people are not particularly comfortable being very straight forward and seem to try to be 'nice' and avoid conflict.

Conversations more than 3 sentences each way seem to make people nervous. lol [My source for this opinion: Grew up in the NE, lived in MT, CO, SFO and now 10 years in SD]. People from the NE in particular, through the mid atlantic seaboard, and maybe the chicago area, can get kind of bummed with the make plans and not follow through thing. Or the superficial thing can seem evasive. Or the nice chat but not really interested in doing anything about it except being superficially pleasant-in-that-moment attitude gets to some (ie, not making any plans after that initial nice chat, whether for friends or dating wise).

I personally have found that there are many different types of people in so cal (shock of shocks, I know!!!), though the overarching atmosphere does fit the stereotypes to a large extent. Similarly, certain cultures are pervasive in different areas of the country-new england, northwest, texas, deep south, etc.

So CAL definitely has a self-fulfilling prophecy aspect to it, however, b/c so many people are drawn to invent or reinvent or escape themselves through what the project onto the area. Some do this, and become the stereotype, furthering the cycle. (:

I mean, I can tell people that my spouse and family are SD natives, and many of my first friends when I moved here are SD/so cal/LA natives and how down to earth they are, etc. and people do not believe me. None of them fit the stereotype ALL ALL. And they are from diverse backgrounds. The people I meet who do fit the stereotype are actually from elsewhere. lol.

What can you do? LA: The city people love to hate.

I am, however, finding it weird how many threads on this forum bash the looks of women in SFO/bay area. Strange...Haven't seen many threads discussing guys in the bay area vs. so cal. I'm sure they exist. But, I can assure you, you're not all princes, fellas! lol I amuse myself... Why does this get discussed, however, in a moving/city forum? Shouldn't those types of discussions be in the general forums under some random, highly subjective and inflammatory topic, with a telling title so that women or anyone could enter at own risk?
This is a very well written, well thought out post, and one of the few that cogently spells out the origin for a lot of these LA/SoCal stereotypes.

However, I would like to pick it apart if you don't mind.

You are right that people do come here to "reinvent themselves" however, for the very reasons that you describe as attracting people to LA and SoCal, people can actually become truly, truly "real" just as much as they come to live out some image. For transplants it can and does go both ways. But IMO, I can't imagine how much effort one must go through to completely live a fake, reinvented "costumed" life, that's a LOT of work and one couldn't keep that up forever.

On the flipside because regions of deeper traditions, less transient, more set in their ways tend to put more pressure on people to conform . . . thus making them more "fake" back in their hometowns.

Small Midwestern and Southern towns are NOTORIOUS for people having skeletons in their closet, because they are constantly living up to the model citizen to gain approval from the fellow peers. And even if its not "skeletons in ones' closet, a Utah native being more serious about LDS/Mormon faith than they really are, is being fake IN Utah for example.

Pseudo-intellectuals are NOTORIOUSLY fake. People make liberal statements just because that is the "educated" thing to say. Political activism without being super well educated on whatever issue, is actually being VERY fake.

I also think small talk is very, very valuable. I HATE it more than anything else, when people insist on interviewing me. When they bombard me with a string of specific questions, or even worse give me unsolicited advice, when they hardly know me. I find it an ultimate insult, not to respect my individualism and complexity. Being able to strike up a conversation without having to extract knowledge from someone about that someone is very important. And I love how native Southern Californians respect that.

Bottom line: conforming to whatever culture one grew up in is living more of a fake life, than living where everyone is doing their own thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top