U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 10:47 AM

8,185 posts, read 21,741,076 times

Advertisements

Okay, I was born in California. Even though I was raised in Nor Cal, the majority of my family lives in LA. I even lived there for a moment of my life. I have also lived in the Mid West and now on the East Coast, so I have a good idea about the 'fake' identity that LA has associated with its name.

The largest contributor to the perception of LA being fake is the media and entertainment. Not Hollywood as a whole, mind you, but they do not help, either. Television shows like Entertainment Tonight and Hollywood Access/Insider and tabloids in the check out lines at grocery stores only add to the (mis)conception that LA only cares about celebrity gossip over real news. Or, whenever an NBA team is playing the Lakers at the Staple Center the camera ALWAYS has to point out the numerous celebrities who are in attendance.

Also, many 'reality' TV shows are based in LA, and give the impression that people who live in LA are only concerned about material objects, plastic surgery, wearing too much make-up, and spending money without concern.

The notion that LA has a preoccupation with money is another key factor. Heck, even gangbangers in LA like to flaunt how much money they have. Baltimore will continue to be viewed as a real city, thanks in part to The Wire-which showed young drug dealers in the ghetto selling heroin all day long....yet they were still f*cking poor at the end of the day.

The list can go on, but I'll just mention a few more:

Actors/celebrities. They only appear to do things for the publicity.

People who were born/raised in LA tend to think that they are better than everyone else, OR, that LA is the best place to live, OR, that people from the Mid West are simple, OR, that the Mid West does not exist (C'mon, every Californian knows that the USA only consists of California, Oregon, Seattle, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, New Orleans, Florida, Atlanta, New York City, and Boston).

Having an unhealthy obsession with appearance is probably the biggest one, though.

Oh, and contradictions like driving an expensive luxury car to a charity event for the homeless; being vehemently against smoking, yet living in a city that is so polluted it is akin to smoking a pack a day-yet denying it; the weird obsession with yoga, and every/any trend in natural/whole foods, dieting, lifestyles, etc. Especially if they promise longevity, and still living in one of the most polluted cities in the US. Or having a love affair with the sun to the point where having orange skin that is tough like an alligator's hide and gives the appearance that the person you are looking at is twenty years older than they really are, then turning around and getting plastic surgery so they can continue to look young.

A 'real' city is a place where the inhabitants are more blue collar/working class. Where they don't feel the need to flaunt what they have or follow the latest trends. Where the idea of rain or cold does not phase them. Where, even if they can afford it, they enjoy a more modest lifestyle. Incidentally, LA is more real than people may think and any 'real' city has its problems with being 'fake', too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 10:57 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
a city that is so polluted it is akin to smoking a pack a day
Hyperbole alert.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:01 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Quote:
Okay, I was born in California. Even though I was raised in Nor Cal, the majority of my family lives in LA. I even lived there for a moment of my life. I have also lived in the Mid West and now on the East Coast, so I have a good idea about the 'fake' identity that LA has associated with its name.

The largest contributor to the perception of LA being fake is the media and entertainment. Not Hollywood as a whole, mind you, but they do not help, either. Television shows like Entertainment Tonight and Hollywood Access/Insider and tabloids in the check out lines at grocery stores only add to the (mis)conception that LA only cares about celebrity gossip over real news. Or, whenever an NBA team is playing the Lakers at the Staple Center the camera ALWAYS has to point out the numerous celebrities who are in attendance.

Also, many 'reality' TV shows are based in LA, and give the impression that people who live in LA are only concerned about material objects, plastic surgery, wearing too much make-up, and spending money without concern.

The notion that LA has a preoccupation with money is another key factor. Heck, even gangbangers in LA like to flaunt how much money they have. Baltimore will continue to be viewed as a real city, thanks in part to The Wire-which showed young drug dealers in the ghetto selling heroin all day long....yet they were still f*cking poor at the end of the day.

People who were born/raised in LA tend to think that they are better than everyone else, OR, that LA is the best place to live, OR, that people from the Mid West are simple, OR, that the Mid West does not exist (C'mon, every Californian knows that the USA only consists of California, Oregon, Seattle, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, New Orleans, Florida, Atlanta, New York City, and Boston).

Having an unhealthy obsession with appearance is probably the biggest one, though.

Oh, and contradictions like driving an expensive luxury car to a charity event for the homeless; being vehemently against smoking, yet living in a city that is so polluted it is akin to smoking a pack a day-yet denying it; the weird obsession with yoga, and every/any trend in natural/whole foods, dieting, lifestyles, etc. Especially if they promise longevity, and still living in one of the most polluted cities in the US. Or having a love affair with the sun to the point where having orange skin that is tough like an alligator's hide and gives the appearance that the person you are looking at is twenty years older than they really are, then turning around and getting plastic surgery so they can continue to look young.

A 'real' city is a place where the inhabitants are more blue collar/working class. Where they don't feel the need to flaunt what they have or follow the latest trends. Where the idea of rain or cold does not phase them. Where, even if they can afford it, they enjoy a more modest lifestyle. Incidentally, LA is more real than people may think and any 'real' city has its problems with being 'fake', too.
Enjoyed reading your thoughtful comments and agree with you on some things. But not every city in America can be like Baltimore and who wants a country where every thing is alike? The very fact that things like yoga and health foods are more common here is a plus not a negative. If the air quality is poor due to the geographic layout of the city does that mean we should all just go ahead and smoke? The worst states for obesity and smoking tobacco are in the South. Are they more real\ genuine because of that?

I love California for its diversity and willingness to do things differently than much of the nation. And Los Angeles is a main contributor to that mindset. All the writers\ actors\ musicians\ silly wealthy people [ie Paris Hilton] etc. make Los Angeles a very interesting city. There is hardly a boring day because of all the things happening and I wouldn't have it any other way. Los Angeles will never be Baltimore and visa versa yet people here don't accuse Baltimore [or any other major U.S. city] of being "real" America.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM

16,138 posts, read 21,387,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
What criteria are you using for "fake"?
I guess the same shallow criteria we're all using. It's all subjective whichever criteria one uses.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:43 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,012,809 times
Thank you, K-Luv, for sharing your thoughts and others' perceptions of L.A. I'm well aware that L.A. is considered the "land of fruits and nuts" - or is that California as a whole?

Although I've never lived anywhere else, I have visited other places. I loved Minneapolis; I just couldn't take the cold in the winter or the humidity in the summer! Ft. Myers, FL is nice, too, but again the humidity would probably kill me...

It's sad that people's perceptions of Los Angeles are shaped by what they see on T.V. Anyone who thinks that any reality show is truly reality has a lot to learn! I never watch T.V.; this is one of the reasons. And I'll be the first to admit that the news really isn't news; it's "infotainment" - heavy on the entertainment, light on the actual info!

Also, though many people are obsessed with their physical appearance, if you walk into any Target or Wal-Mart, you'll see the normal side of the L.A. population, and we come in all shapes, sizes, and colors!

If you go to Hollywood clubs, of course, you'll see a completely different group of people. I can't stand that scene; many of us feel the same. It's entirely fake, pretentious, and designed to part you with as much of your money as possible, very quickly! (Can you tell that I don't do "trendy"?) These are the places that make you basically pay for the "privilege" of being able to sit down! $100 bottle service, anyone? Yuck.

My idea of exercise is to walk around a nearby park while listening to my iPod. I'd probably ride my bike in Santa Monica or Venice if I lived closer to the beach. I don't knock yoga for those who like it; exercise is good, so who cares what form it takes?

For entertainment I'm more likely to read a book than watch a movie. I was going to go see a movie on Memorial Day weekend, and couldn't find anything appealing.

The "alligator skin" comment cracks me up, because I know exactly what you mean. I've seen a lot of women ruin their skin and then get laser peels, etc. to try to reverse that damage. I'm too afraid of skin cancer to be out in the sun that much!

L.A. had a very big blue collar, working class population until many businesses began pulling out in the 80s and 90s. Manufacturing is still big here, but a lot of it has moved offshore or to countries like Mexico, etc. Now we have service industries taking up the slack.

I work with financial advisors, which means we work with millionaires. They all look like anyone else, except that they may drive nicer cars - nicer, not flashier! They're usually living in the same house they bought over twenty or thirty years ago. These are people who worked for their money and kept saving and saving until they had a nice nest egg to retire on and to leave to their children. If you're talking about new money, about the rap stars who flaunt their wealth - well, they don't stay wealthy very long! Those who do tend to keep a low profile.

While I know that I don't represent L.A. as a whole any more than a plastic, Malibu Barbi woman does, I wrote this post to illustrate how different everyone here is. You can't fit everyone into one mold here; L.A. County has 11 million people! Most of us are just trying to survive and we're here because we like the weather or our families are here, etc.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Quote:
Baltimore will continue to be viewed as a real city...
Balto's a real city... as in real abandoned, desolate, depopulated and blighted. At least that's the way it was when I found myself driving around, lost, in the old downtown core some 9 years ago. An eerie, unfamiliar experience to say the least.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:22 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,982 times
Quote:
No more so than other large cities. In fact, I find that attitude far, far, far more prevalent in San Francisco and NYC.

Most reflections on L.A. as a state of mind are media driven constructs and exist almost entirely in the imaginations of both critics and boosters of the city. Los Angeles becomes culturally symbolic rather than real, so people turn it and its residents into allegorical figures, because moralizing is more seductive than any lifestyle. There was an actress who interviewed that she moved back to Arkansas because she honestly believes the weather here creates problems of character, nevermind how her shallow anthropological analysis indicts everyone living near the equatorial latitudes. And, of course, her own rectitude is intact, because she's better than that!

I have to say the way people conjure L.A. symbolically is part of what makes it a fascinating place. But 99.9% of us, real people--acknowledged or not--aren't being figurative about our lives and just living them the best we can. Other people's fables are entirely their issue.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:37 PM

2,561 posts, read 4,868,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
No more so than other large cities. In fact, I find that attitude far, far, far more prevalent in San Francisco and NYC.

Most reflections on L.A. as a state of mind are media driven constructs and exist almost entirely in the imaginations of both critics and boosters of the city. Los Angeles becomes culturally symbolic rather than real, so people turn it and its residents into allegorical figures, because moralizing is more seductive than any lifestyle. There was an actress who interviewed that she moved back to Arkansas because she honestly believes the weather here creates problems of character, nevermind how her shallow anthropological analysis indicts everyone living near the equatorial latitudes. And, of course, her own rectitude is intact, because she's better than that!

I have to say the way people conjure L.A. symbolically is part of what makes it a fascinating place. But 99.9% of us, real people--acknowledged or not--aren't being figurative about our lives and just living them the best we can. Other people's fables are entirely their issue.
You are kidding..seriously...sorry to alienate LA residents..LA is the most vapid,superficial cities I have ever lived.....West siders you know I'm right. "Yes, this exists everywhere, but Los Angeles is on a scale of its own. I am moving back to Southern California, but I'm not looking forward to the attitude of some places .

Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Double-post.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:44 PM

Yes, please return with your sorely needed moral compass. I'm ethically lost without you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or