U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 01:03 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,375,223 times

Advertisements

Besides Beverly Hills, Bel Air, etc, and some parts of OC, most of GLAMA is laid back and normal people. People watch way too many reality TV shows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:17 PM

5,256 posts, read 12,560,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
The people that follow the negative stereotypes of L.A. and Southern California about being fake and superficial are usually transplants from other places in my experience. Many people move here and feed into the stereotypes. The natives are laid back and real.
I completely disagree with this. Transplants like myself DO NOT feed into this at all. How can you? When you actually move here and are part of the city everyday you will see first hand that it is not like that at all. I don't even think the natives are all that laid back either. The people that bring up the 'fake and superficial' bs are people who have never been. One thing I must bring up is I've noticed people who have lived here most if not all of there lives need to do some exploring. If I have to ask someone about a particular area or place they either have never been or don't know what I'm talking about or feed into some place being dangerous with gangs and shootings when it really isn't. Get out and explore.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,676,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I completely disagree with this. Transplants like myself DO NOT feed into this at all. How can you? When you actually move here and are part of the city everyday you will see first hand that it is not like that at all. I don't even think the natives are all that laid back either. The people that bring up the 'fake and superficial' bs are people who have never been. One thing I must bring up is I've noticed people who have lived here most if not all of there lives need to do some exploring. If I have to ask someone about a particular area or place they either have never been or don't know what I'm talking about or feed into some place being dangerous with gangs and shootings when it really isn't. Get out and explore.

There is plenty of superficial and fake around these parts from both transplants and natives, it just doesn't represent the city of LA as a whole. It's good for "The Hills" or "The Kardashians" or whatever reality show is out there. Unfortunately those kind of people do exist.

I happen to agree with natives not getting out there and exploring. I think part of the midset for this is because LA was far more dangerous in the past than now, so it was just safe to stay within your boundaries. LA also wasn't really set up for exploring. Public transit really sucked.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:39 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,209,420 times
Quote:
I agree with this. I know first hand that people in other states buy into the "fake and stuck up" stereotype. I met a woman on another website forum that lived in Missouri. We messaged back and forth a lot. We got into an argument because she claimed that a girl at her work was a brat and should move to California because she heard everyone there especially in LA are stuck up and fake so the girl would fit right in. She said California is nothing but beaches and hot weather and that Missouri has so much more. She had never been to California in her life and was just making this stuff up.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM

132 posts, read 156,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethwulf_Zero View Post
I think there's an even mix of native folks, somewhat. I grew up in South LA, then lived in Van Nuys, went to high school in the Palisades - just mentioning this as a sort of frame of reference.

In regards to wanting to go out and see the world, well, most kids I met wanted to. Only difference between them and me was that most of them were rich to, haha. Many of them would visit San Francisco, Vancouver, NYC, London, Paris, Tehran, Israel, Hong Kong, Holland, Japan, etc. And they'd come back and tell me how awesome everywhere else is, how much L.A. might have its problems...but beyond that, most of them still preferred living in L.A. to anywhere else. Granted, I never asked them why, as I felt the same way, so it sort of felt like common sense And for the few friends I know who decided to move away for good, it was mostly because they wanted a change of pace - which also seemed like a very reasonable thing to me, as, I mean, how often does every teen stay in the place they grew up?

So as of now, even though I'm in Denver, I already know another friend of mine is down south in...well, still here in CO, just can't remember the city xP Most went to schools scattered through the west coast, mostly in SoCal or in Washington (kind of interesting, if you ask me). A handful went out east. I figure that at some point, when we're all said 'n done with college, maybe about half of them will move back, who knows. I only know I'd like to

I know who I wouldn't want to move back, though. The a**holes! There was a fair share of them, and most of them went to school out east, so, good for them
Okay, but they're your acquaintances & friends. What about you specifically? Have you traveled across the country & abroad? Besides SF, SD, & LV? Now you live in Denver, CO to be fair enough. Yeah I didn't have a lot of money when I traveled too, but I saved & spent my travel money wisely such as I stayed in International Youth Hostels for lodging, took the mass transit to get me around (buses & rails), ate & drank at bars & restaurants that were in my budget, found bargain air tickets & tourist items, etc.

As you know that I'm in my 30s. If you read my statements on this thread about my ex. HS classmates in LA, who they tried to add-friend & message me on FB, but I declined b/c HS is the passed for me to move forward in my life. Although I checked on theirs & others (classmates that I disliked, acquaintance, curiosity, & love crush) FB album pics. 75% of my ex. HS classmates stayed on the WC, but 25% like myself & others left to settle across the nation or globe. It pertains all types of clicks: athletes, bike riders (bicyclists & motorbikes), book worms, cheerleaders, drama club, fast & furious drivers, gangsters, geeks, honor's program (overachievers), hot rodders, hip-hoppers, loners (myself), low riders, marching & music bands, nerds, preppies, rockers, skateboarders, stage production, skateboarders, stoners, student gov't, techies, trendies, etc. The 25% that left, but not all of them were the book worms, geeks, honor's program, loners, marching & music bands, nerds, preppies, student gov't, & techies. You probably wonder why not the athletes? None of them that I know got any scholarships to play Division 1A or played professional. Guess they were too dumb to score high on their SATS. LOL!

It's funny how HS life can lead people to other places or not, but I don't regret it at all.

Last edited by LUCIFER#666; 01-09-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
There is plenty of superficial and fake around these parts from both transplants and natives, it just doesn't represent the city of LA as a whole. It's good for "The Hills" or "The Kardashians" or whatever reality show is out there. Unfortunately those kind of people do exist.

I happen to agree with natives not getting out there and exploring. I think part of the mindset for this is because LA was far more dangerous in the past than now, so it was just safe to stay within your boundaries. LA also wasn't really set up for exploring. Public transit really sucked.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

FYI,

I tried to explain & text on this thread about how LA folks don't travel too much across the country & abroad. These LA bloggers kept on stating, "Oh yeah LA is for real, the transplants are the fakers & not us, 247 tropical paradise of climate & geography, who wants to ride on the mass transit, there is no place like it, we have everything, laid back & easy going, and the list goes on." Sorry that I kind of over exaggerate, but they text here to act like it.

CAN I GET A WITNESS?

A-MOFO-MEN!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

FYI,

I tried to explain & text on this thread about how LA folks don't travel too much across the country & abroad. These LA bloggers kept on stating, "Oh yeah LA is for real, the transplants are the fakers & not us, 247 tropical paradise of climate & geography, who wants to ride on the mass transit, there is no place like it, we have everything, laid back & easy going, and the list goes on." Sorry that I kind of over exaggerate, but they text here to act like it.

CAN I GET A WITNESS?

A-MOFO-MEN!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exetermedia View Post
besides beverly hills, bel air, etc, and some parts of oc, most of glama is laid back and normal people. People watch way too many reality tv shows.
amen to that! :d

Old 01-09-2014, 08:51 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,676,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

FYI,

CAN I GET A WITNESS?

A-MOFO-MEN!
There are plenty of LA natives that travel all over the country and the world, they just don't explore their own city beyond certain boundaries. That is changing.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
There are plenty of LA natives that travel all over the country and the world, they just don't explore their own city beyond certain boundaries. That is changing.
Fair enough!

But I'm glad that you were able to call out on their aloofness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or