U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 09:27 PM

132 posts, read 156,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
For the most part the average working to middle class Angeleno is very down to earth and friendly. The rich in LA are a bit uppity and can be insufferable. You can meet some real hoity toity folks in LA.

Transplants that move here and act Hollywood are the worst people on the planet. Sometimes I do get annoyed by the overbearing geekdom of some of the transplants too.
"SPARE ME YOUR MOCKERY OF JUSTICE" - KRANIX, TF THE MOVIE 1986.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 09:56 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,225,996 times
I just wanted to point out to everyone that you all been attempting to have a well-reasoned debate for the past 8 pages with a self-described "LA / West Coast hater" who responds to everyone with movie quotes and who kicked off the recent discussion by saying "Look at the Californians sketch on SNL! See? Angelenos are fake!" Why bother?

Gonna head out now and mingle with all the fake Angelenos at the DTLA Art Walk. /s

G'nite!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:43 PM

16 posts, read 13,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUCIFER#666 View Post
Okay, but they're your acquaintances & friends. What about you specifically? Have you traveled across the country & abroad? Besides SF, SD, & LV? Now you live in Denver, CO to be fair enough. Yeah I didn't have a lot of money when I traveled too, but I saved & spent my travel money wisely such as I stayed in International Youth Hostels for lodging, took the mass transit to get me around (buses & rails), ate & drank at bars & restaurants that were in my budget, found bargain air tickets & tourist items, etc.
The only cities I've been in consciously are L.A., Las Vegas, and here in Denver. Well, I went on a field trip to the San Diego Zoo in 3rd grade I think, but I honestly can't remember if that was a real trip or not, lol. I've been to New York, but was, like, 3 at the time, so all I remember of it was my grandmother (may she R.I.P.) spanking me because I told her the spaghetti she made was nasty, haha.

I'd like to get out and see the world someday, when I can afford it, lol. Until then, I'm happy as I am, with what I've got. Only thing I really don't like about Denver is the RTD - oh my lord, the RTD sucks so much. After being here for a few months, I can easily say that getting around Denver without a car is rather hard.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:45 AM

132 posts, read 156,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dethwulf_Zero View Post
The only cities I've been in consciously are L.A., Las Vegas, and here in Denver. Well, I went on a field trip to the San Diego Zoo in 3rd grade I think, but I honestly can't remember if that was a real trip or not, lol. I've been to New York, but was, like, 3 at the time, so all I remember of it was my grandmother (may she R.I.P.) spanking me because I told her the spaghetti she made was nasty, haha.

I'd like to get out and see the world someday, when I can afford it, lol. Until then, I'm happy as I am, with what I've got. Only thing I really don't like about Denver is the RTD - oh my lord, the RTD sucks so much. After being here for a few months, I can easily say that getting around Denver without a car is rather hard.
Fair enough.

Sorry if I was a ball buster on you, but I like to read more details by how the LA bloggers are to state on this thread. My experience on this CD for them not to text here very well comprehend, depth, & organized their arguments to be somewhat shallow. Anyway, it is a matter of time when the money is right for you to travel. Every American & other nations in the globe should travel b/c we're living in a very small place to communicate & the job markets are diversely competitive aka mass globalization. Everybody on this thread must know it, or else the world gets very complex to live.

PS

I like the horrible spaghetti comment to your grandmother from NYC (RIP). LOL!

Old 03-02-2014, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 15,778 times
San Luis Obispo is real.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:48 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,351,138 times
I ignore the entire concept of "real vs fake." It's kind of ridiculous. How could you judge an entire city, and thus an entire population of individuals, in such a way? Are some people in LA materialistic, vain, self-absorbed and such? Of course. Because those people exist, and they exist everywhere. You just avoid them as best you can and find the people that you like. I would personally say that NYC seems to be much more in line with what people view as "fake" but I would never say that NYC is fake because it's so childish and anecdotal.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:40 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,086,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I am 99% certain that the original poster's title is correct and the question mark belongs outside the quotation marks. If the quote is a question, then the question mark belongs inside the quote. If the sentence is a question which uses a word in quotes as the original poster wrote, then the question mark belongs outside of the quotes.

Correct: She asked, "Will you still be my friend?"

Correct: Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?

Quotation Marks

Quotation Marks | Punctuation Rules
Probably everybody knew this.

I did not.

Thank You Charles for showing the correct way .

Old 03-05-2014, 08:08 PM
Status: "Certified Victim™ who walked away" (set 7 hours ago)

9,105 posts, read 6,768,907 times
Watsonville is 100% realness.

Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 AM

5,303 posts, read 7,632,341 times
There are fake people everywhere and real people everywhere. I hate the idea people have of "it's fake because of sprawl and low-rise" or "a city is fake if it doesn't have many rough neighborhoods" or "middle America is REAL America". LA is unique, and if it was so terrible, it wouldn't be the 2nd most populated city in the USA.

NYC-fake as hell Look at everyone trying to be artsy and hipster, or trying to be wealthy or act like Wolf of Wall Street. And the 'real' people are just plain rude. Sorry, I just find NYC to be vastly overrated.

Chicago-very dangerous. Some fakes, but actually, I'd say the average person there is quite nice.

Washington DC and suburbs-a mix between many nice, genuine people and those trying to be politicians and look worldly and cultured.

Miami-OK, there are many fake people here, but there's also lots of culture and liveliness in its people.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:31 PM

23,247 posts, read 16,056,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
There are fake people everywhere and real people everywhere. I hate the idea people have of "it's fake because of sprawl and low-rise" or "a city is fake if it doesn't have many rough neighborhoods" or "middle America is REAL America". LA is unique, and if it was so terrible, it wouldn't be the 2nd most populated city in the USA.

NYC-fake as hell Look at everyone trying to be artsy and hipster, or trying to be wealthy or act like Wolf of Wall Street. And the 'real' people are just plain rude. Sorry, I just find NYC to be vastly overrated.

Chicago-very dangerous. Some fakes, but actually, I'd say the average person there is quite nice.

Washington DC and suburbs-a mix between many nice, genuine people and those trying to be politicians and look worldly and cultured.

Miami-OK, there are many fake people here, but there's also lots of culture and liveliness in its people.
Not everyone in NYC tries to be artsy/hipster, nor does everyone try to act like the Wolf of Wall Street. A large chunk of people in NYC work for the government, whether city, state, or federal. A large number of people work in education. This isn't the image of New York placed on tv, but by saying the media images of NY are all there is to NY is like saying everyone in Los Angeles in the 80s was a Valley Girl.

With that said, the whole concept of real versus fake is stupid. The people accusing LA of being fake (or NYC) are just jealous because they dream of living a certain lifestyle in these cities and cannot. Part of the problem is for big cities unless you make a lot of money you may have to live in a GHETTO. Which will suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or