U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 03:59 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,508,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsfan1990 View Post
Hey man, Kitchener may only be 200k people but I would wager that it still has more urban feel than Tinsel Town.
Yeah, I bet it's full of gangs and drugs dealers with a real urban grit.

The tallest building in Kitchener is the 66 m (217 ft) Canada Trust Centre
List of tallest buildings in the Waterloo Regional Municipality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Population density of Kitchener is 3,487/sq mi.

SO URBAN

Son, you have to realize that kitchener is more comparable to Pasadena, Burbank, or Glendale right? It's not even on the level of Long Beach much less LA.

Go back to your canuck forum and stop embarrassing yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 04:54 PM

86 posts, read 79,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Yeah, I bet it's full of gangs and drugs dealers with a real urban grit.

The tallest building in Kitchener is the 66 m (217 ft) Canada Trust Centre
List of tallest buildings in the Waterloo Regional Municipality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Population density of Kitchener is 3,487/sq mi.

SO URBAN

Son, you have to realize that kitchener is more comparable to Pasadena, Burbank, or Glendale right? It's not even on the level of Long Beach much less LA.

Go back to your canuck forum and stop embarrassing yourself.
Clearly. Which is why I never said London, New York, Tokyo, Toronto, Chicago, Kitchener. Clearly a city of 200K is not large enough to be considered a mature cosmopolitan environment. But we're talking about cities with a big enough population, and cities that are considered to be world class, that are. The fact that I reside in Kitchener isn't really pertinent to the discussion. If I want to have an urban experience in a major city, LA is the last place I'd go. Based on the fact that it's economy is based on make believe, it stands to reason that the city is just as artificial.

What does crime have to do with being urban? Toronto is as urban as it gets and it has probably a lower crime rate than Kitchener.

Last edited by billsfan1990; 05-24-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 05:56 PM

3,831 posts, read 3,508,200 times
Quote:
Hey man, Kitchener may only be 200k people but I would wager that it still has more urban feel than Tinsel Town.
You already forgot this gem of a post?

Old 05-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
You already forgot this gem of a post?
No I didn't. In some ways it is more urban feeling than LA, honestly, but do you want to compare LA with the standards of a community of 200k or the standards of a city LA's size? Seems like you're fixated on the former.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 AM

3,196 posts, read 2,362,758 times
Quote:
The fact that I reside in Kitchener isn't really pertinent to the discussion. If I want to have an urban experience in a major city, LA is the last place I'd go. Based on the fact that it's economy is based on make believe, it stands to reason that the city is just as artificial.
This is moronic. I hope you know that. You clearly have no experience with Los Angeles, but that aside you're just saying remarkably foolish things. Your town of 200,000 feels more urban than Los Angeles? How would you even know? You've clearly never been here. Los Angeles is home to the entertainment industry so that means the city is fake? Absolutely stupid. Is New York nothing but rich, amoral yuppies since it's the home of the financial industry?
Stop trying to sound like you have a perspective on Los Angeles. You don't.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
This is moronic. I hope you know that. You clearly have no experience with Los Angeles, but that aside you're just saying remarkably foolish things. Your town of 200,000 feels more urban than Los Angeles? How would you even know? You've clearly never been here. Los Angeles is home to the entertainment industry so that means the city is fake? Absolutely stupid. Is New York nothing but rich, amoral yuppies since it's the home of the financial industry?
Stop trying to sound like you have a perspective on Los Angeles. You don't.
Clearly you have no experience outside of Los Angeles, or fail to appreciate urban culture. I can walk for miles in any of the aforementioned cities, including Kitchener, believe it or not, and not hit a dead end. Wasn't the same when I was in LA. You're driving more than half the time, anywhere you go. How urban is that?

Why are you guys still fixated on the town I live in? When did I bring that up? I made a rebuttle to an irrelevant comment and that was it. Sad that those are the standards you're comparing LA to.

Oh, New York is a lot more than the financial district. It's a major art and education center, as well as the universal political capital of the world, as well as a major food capital, etc.

Be honest with yourself, LA is a one dimensional city. I am not being any more unfair than anyone else who notices that.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

139 posts, read 89,026 times
In my opinion, most big cities are filled with phonies. I think that's why they go there to posture and pose. I know LA and California have the reputation for it, but I live in New York and find people there just as shallow. Perhaps in New York it's worse because you can't escape people. At least in LA you have more personal space (in the car especially). New York is filled with narcissistic exhibitionists and due to people congestion you are forced to engage with it. If you are a little reserved and introverted like me, this gets really tiresome.

I've spent some time in LA and am here now for a couple of months and it honestly doesn't strike me as any more fake than NYC.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:20 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,275,067 times
Quote:

Be honest with yourself, LA is a one dimensional city. I am not being any more unfair than anyone else who notices that.
The bolded comment speaks volumes about your misperceptions of Los Angeles....not even worth engaging with someone who is this blind.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:34 PM

869 posts, read 598,298 times
Quote:
Clearly you have no experience outside of Los Angeles, or fail to appreciate urban culture. I can walk for miles in any of the aforementioned cities, including Kitchener, believe it or not, and not hit a dead end. Wasn't the same when I was in LA. You're driving more than half the time, anywhere you go. How urban is that?

Why are you guys still fixated on the town I live in? When did I bring that up? I made a rebuttle to an irrelevant comment and that was it. Sad that those are the standards you're comparing LA to.

Oh, New York is a lot more than the financial district. It's a major art and education center, as well as the universal political capital of the world, as well as a major food capital, etc.

Billsfan1990, you need to quit because the more you post the more idiotic you make yourself to be. LA is more than the entertainment industry. All you need to do is google LA economy and the answer will be right in front of you. Nothing is worse than a troll but an uninformed poster thinking his foolish opinion is fact and "not being any more unfair than anyone else who notices that."

Old 05-25-2015, 12:40 PM

696 posts, read 824,383 times
Move to the East Coast if you want to experience real .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or