Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 12:55 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,776,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
Atlanta is pretty fake, including a lot of the rappers.

The people here just seem dull and basic to me and aren't interested in being genuine at all. They seem too busy putting up a front, in a friendly way, at least. Just my experience.

I think Louisiana and Florida people (excluding South Florida) can be very real though. Philadelphia as well.
How can we be "dull" and "basic," but fake at the same time?

Someone's never spent a significant amount of time in Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:17 AM

2,322 posts, read 2,975,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkobb510 View Post
Atlanta is pretty fake, including a lot of the rappers.

The people here just seem dull and basic to me and aren't interested in being genuine at all. They seem too busy putting up a front, in a friendly way, at least. Just my experience.

I think Louisiana and Florida people (excluding South Florida) can be very real though. Philadelphia as well.
I have never not lived in a place that didn't have "fake" people. People really need to get over themselves. LA is funny man, especially recent transplants (around a year and under). They all think everybody else is fake but your sooooo real? LOL. That's why I can't hang out around recent transplants that much anymore.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:48 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,776,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
That's why I can't hang out around recent transplants that much anymore.
My gosh, EXACTLY. Not only can I not deal with the whole "Angelenos are fake" BS, but I can't stand the "my city does this better than Los Angeles" debate. I always think to myself, why are they here if it's so inferior?

Old 10-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
My gosh, EXACTLY. Not only can I not deal with the whole "Angelenos are fake" BS, but I can't stand the "my city does this better than Los Angeles" debate. I always think to myself, why are they here if it's so inferior?
Peoples prejudices come out when they live in a new city. So many times you'll hear people complaining about a new environment, meanwhile ignore everything wrong with the city/cities of their choice.

Example: I just recently met a man in New Orleans. Said he couldn't stand Los Angeles. It was dirty, crime filled, and of course the traffic.

This man lives in New Orleans...You know, A place that you have to boil your water from time to time because the infrastructure is too old and the crime rate is one of the worse in the countries. But no, Let's ignore all that. Let's just trick all these visitors by offering cheap alcohol and a trolley ride down St. Charles. At least LA puts all their problems out there for people to see. L.A. doesn't hide anything but we are the fake ones?

Old 10-06-2015, 12:51 PM

640 posts, read 815,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Peoples prejudices come out when they live in a new city. So many times you'll hear people complaining about a new environment, meanwhile ignore everything wrong with the city/cities of their choice.

Example: I just recently met a man in New Orleans. Said he couldn't stand Los Angeles. It was dirty, crime filled, and of course the traffic.

This man lives in New Orleans...You know, A place that you have to boil your water from time to time because the infrastructure is too old and the crime rate is one of the worse in the countries. But no, Let's ignore all that. Let's just trick all these visitors by offering cheap alcohol and a trolley ride down St. Charles. At least LA puts all their problems out there for people to see. L.A. doesn't hide anything but we are the fake ones?

You've got NOLA all wrong my friend. New Orleans does not hide its problems and issues they are known nationwide and worldwide. You see how you were able to point out the infrastructure and crime problem which are true, its because those problems are known by everyone. On the flip side there are a lot of things positive about NOLA that the casual tourist will never know if they never explore outside of French Quarter and Downtown. Also its a known FACT across the globe that New Orleanians are some of the most down to earth and hospitable people on the planet something, I've NEVER heard that said about L.A. EVER quite frankly I've heard the opposite about L.A. But to give the benefit of the doubt to L.A. maybe those people who say things like that about L.A. may have some personal vendetta against it, I don't know.

Last edited by NativeSon504; 10-06-2015 at 01:18 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 12:55 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,165,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theraven24 View Post
It's been my experience that the transplants that have that attitude are always from the East Coast, where bravado about one's city is the norm. That's not really a thing in most of the country.

Old 10-06-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
You've got NOLA all wrong my friend. New Orleans does not hide its problems and issues they are known nationwide and worldwide. You see how you were able to point out the infrastructure and crime problem which are true, its because those problems are known by everyone. On the flip side there are a lot of things positive about NOLA that the casual tourist will never know if they never explore outside of French Quarter and Downtown. Also its a known FACT across the globe that New Orleans are some of the most down to earth and hospitable people on the planet.
Very True! You make good points. It really wasn't about New Orleans, but the fact that people can be completely blind by certain aspects of living in certain cities. Especially, if they lived there briefly or were just visiting on vacation.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,936,333 times
I honestly do not know where people get the whole "fake" impression of NATIVE Angelenos from? My guess is that it comes from the EAST COAST transplants that aren't used to pretty genuinely nice people. They think that "being real" is being a bit of a jerk or being brash or what not. I don't like it when these people project their misery onto others.

Honestly, one thing I do not like about LA are all the East Coast transplants that come here and complain about the people either being fake or dumb or whatnot. Angelenos to me remind a lot of Southern and Midwestern people albeit not as friendly. They're cordial, friendly but not over the top and couldn't be mistaken as "fake". If so, then those people would consider the South to be over the top "fake".

Hollywood (the industry, the parts of the West Side that are affluent) I guess would be "fake" but it's filled with transplants from all over. I just never had the best experience with the East Coast types that are here in LA. This isn't to generalize but I always got this impression that they thought of themselves as superior to the natives who they saw as being dumb or "fake".

Old 10-06-2015, 04:06 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,081,466 times
Calling LA “Fake" or "Plastic" has to be the most apathetic scapegoat of an excuse for hating on LA, because all LA residents know this scene to be isolated and outsiders will just agree out of hearsay.

Every city has fake people. Not every city has The Industry, which is full of those who fit the bill and coincidentally export the image in the media.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:22 PM

10,097 posts, read 9,936,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
Calling LA “Fake" or "Plastic" has to be the most apathetic scapegoat of an excuse for hating on LA, because all LA residents know this scene to be isolated and outsiders will just agree out of hearsay.

Every city has fake people. Not every city has The Industry, which is full of those who fit the bill and coincidentally export the image in the media.
Nailed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles