U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 01:04 PM

15,690 posts, read 26,663,721 times

Advertisements

I think that you are all fake and this is an allusion. I am the only real person, everyone else around me is fake personas that stand in my way of what I want. IE speeding on the 405. Get out of my way all you fake people as I blow by you in my Porshce.

Porsches are real cars, while a Dodge is something that you own because you can't have a real car. In my oppinion that would make Dodges fake cars. LOL

For those stuck on the 405 sniffing axel grease, I am only kidding. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 01:47 PM

224 posts, read 589,725 times
I think the LA is fake cos of its short history, and its celebrity adoration. Boob-jobs fake people only caring about their outside and not their inside. Full of glitz and glamor but no real substance.
From the outside LA appears almost soulless.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:00 PM

31 posts, read 79,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rambler View Post
One of the major complaints I hear frequently concerning Los Angeles is that it is "fake" or "plastic". What does this mean, really? And if this is the case, then what city would be the antithesis of L.A.? What city do you people who feel L.A. is fake do you think is the most "real" or genuine, and by what standard do you measure this?

I don't mean this to be inflammatory, I'm just honestly a bit confused by it and would like to open up a discourse as to what it really means.

Thanks!
I'll just name some cities with real/GENUINE people. Places ive been. Not wanna be rich kids,movie stars, and high fake breast,lips,and botox cities. St. Louis my city. Chicago,Aurora,D.C.,Fort Launderdale. Those are just a few.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The "LA is fake" thing is a myth, or is at rather a response to the entertainment industry, not anything in the city itself. Obviously that's part of the city, but it's certainly not the only thing. I think a lot of the people who say "I hate LA because it's so fake" simply haven't looked beneath the surface. Or, they hate LA for other reasons, but aren't able to better articulate what exactly those are. The "fake" label seems, to me, the mark of laziness when applying to an entire city.

In many ways I find LA to be about as real as you can get: it's really rather a gritty city and has a bit of everything. There's also extremes, especially when you look at wealth and lifestyle. You have skid row (which I think is still one of, if not the, biggest concentrations of homeless people in the US) and mansions straight out of the movies. I've lived in a variety of cities on both coasts and in-between and don't consider any of them to be fake, but would say that LA has some of the most visible extremes of anywhere I've ever lived (DC probably had the other greatest extremes, but that was generally far more segregated.). I know that's just one definition of "real," but I think it's proof of a huge variety of real people living real lives, whether destitute, millionaires, or, like most people, somewhere in the vast middle.

I also agree that people don't think LA is "real" because it doesn't fit the more traditional east coast urban model of one very dense downtown core surrounded by progressively less dense neighborhoods radiating outwards.
The only thing "real" about L.A. are the gangs!

Old 12-18-2010, 02:36 PM

749 posts, read 1,592,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRokmon View Post
The only thing "real" about L.A. are the gangs!

Apparently the only thing to do in St. Louis is post incendiary B.S. about LA in the LA forum.

The MURDER RATE in St. Louis is MUCH HIGHER than in "gang infested" Los Angeles.

See the FBI's UCR sats for 2009 (most recent full year of data).
Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2009

Murder rate per 100,000 residents:
City of Los Angeles: 8.14
City of St. Louis: 40

Old 12-18-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluSpark View Post
Apparently the only thing to do in St. Louis is post incendiary B.S. about LA in the LA forum.

The MURDER RATE in St. Louis is MUCH HIGHER than in "gang infested" Los Angeles.

See the FBI's UCR sats for 2009 (most recent full year of data).
Table 8 - Crime in the United States 2009

Murder rate per 100,000 residents:
City of Los Angeles: 8.14
City of St. Louis: 40
Oh wow. Was that suppose to make me feel bad? Nah. Not likely. And by the way BluSpat. Just between me and you. I already knew that. Its only logical i should!

Old 12-18-2010, 03:46 PM

2,262 posts, read 6,403,660 times
I assume the people who think LA is fake and that to live here is to be surrounded by plastic surgery fails, glitz, and phonies have never actually lived here.

So why are you coming on this thread to announce how fake LA is when you've never lived here?

And if you HAVE lived here and still think that, then who the heck are you surrounding yourselves with? Everyone I know is just a normal person. No more real or fake than people from anywhere else. If I meet someone who appears to be fake (and it's usually pretty obvious), I just choose not to associate with them. It's really not that hard.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:14 PM

16,584 posts, read 33,665,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDanishGuy View Post
I think the LA is fake cos of its short history, and its celebrity adoration. Boob-jobs fake people only caring about their outside and not their inside. Full of glitz and glamor but no real substance.
From the outside LA appears almost soulless.
Says he, from the cozy confines of Festung Europa. Get back to us after you've actually lived here, mmmmkay?

Old 12-18-2010, 04:19 PM

7,379 posts, read 13,298,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Says he, from the cozy confines of Festung Europa. Get back to us after you've actually lived here, mmmmkay?
The name might just be a reference to this:

http://www.twiggs.org/simpo2/images/custom/twiggs_org/1337-lemon-danish.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-18-2010, 04:20 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,685,423 times
LA is not that fake. It's a pretty fine city overall. Even the hollywood crowd.

I find LA natives are pretty genuine. We sometimes get these out of towners who come in and intentionally act "fake" because they think they have to. Like the people who try to become models and actors. From podunk indiana or something. and they adopt this new persona because they THINK that is what LA is about

Real fakeness? Go to Europe. That is chillingly, disturbingly fake.

Or go to philly, boston, detroit, parts of NYC, and deal with rude dangerous people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or