U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2010, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,871,773 times
Reputation: 1802

Advertisements

First phase of Gold Line extension begins on Saturday - latimes.com

"The Metropolitan Transportation Authority will break ground Saturday on a $690 million, 11.3 mile extension of the Gold Line from Pasadena through Arcadia, Monrovia, Duarte, Irwindale and Azusa. The line is scheduled to be completed in 2014".

Yea, the next stretch of the Gold Line will be ready in 4 years. I wish construction wouldn't take so long but am happy that the light rail system is moving further into the San Gabriel Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2010, 12:28 PM
 
452 posts, read 1,211,034 times
Reputation: 406
Any expansion of the public transportation system in L.A. is a good thing in my opinion. This line will be built pretty fast and got its financing quickly because there was not a major NIMBY presence and it is a fairly simple extension to built. The cities are thoroughly embracing and excited for the line, which is a great thing.

Sad to see a line proposed recently into the suburbs can get built so quickly, but rail lines within urban L.A. like the Expo Line can be fought against intensely, adding millions to the rail line budget in delayed construction and legal fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Business ethics is an oxymoron.
1,686 posts, read 2,098,160 times
Reputation: 3372
Let's not be too quick to pat ourselves on the back. The last passenger trains to traverse the Gold Line corridor was back in January 1994 when Amtrak ran its final Southwest Chief trains and the line was still a Santa Fe railroad route.

Metrolink offered to take over rail service the very next day, which WAS possible considering that an intact and good rail system was in place. Of course the LAMTA and the cities of Pasadena and South Pasadena shot it down and the rails were immediately torn out. They cited the typical NIMBY concerns such as "noise", "vibration", "pollution", etc, despite the fact that the corridor had been in use in that capacity since the G**DAMNED 1880's. That is not a typo. The route was that old.

We all know of course that the issue boiled down to aesthetics and the "sexy appeal" of "modern and futuristic" Light Rail (basically a glorified bus on rails) as opposed to any legitimate superiority.

The MTA further dropped the ball by letting the residents of those cities get used to nearly a decade of silence. So naturally, they rose up in opposition even to the LRT that now exists. As far as I know, they STILL resent it being there.

Now the Gold Line is being built, not because of any legitimate need (ridership numbers have been abysmal since Day One), but rather, as a political "put a sock in it" to the cities of the SGV so that they won't have anything to complain about when LA county turns its attention to the West Side and other area projects that are really much higher on the wish list.

But on the plus side: think of how many people collected paychecks while A) the professional obstructionists kept this project in limbo for how many years while at the same time, others were lobbying for it and B) how many more will be employed to remove the existing line and rebuild it from scratch.

Using it as it was with perhaps just a few improvements to signalling and the installation of platforms and running Metrolink on it would've made too much sense: it would've been cheaper, faster, and now, it would've already been in service for 16 years.

And we are throwing a party because it will be *ONLY* TWENTY from the time the last trains ran on it until you can do so again. For HALF the original distance. And meanwhile, Gold line proponents still want to see it extended out to Montclair, Ontario Airport, then eventually Palm Springs, New York City, and finally, the moon.

Sorry. But the whole thing is just an utter embarrasment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2010, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,871,773 times
Reputation: 1802
I'm not sure I even understand Des-Lab post But ridership on mass transit will increase over time and that is one reason so much emphasis is being placed on trains. The future needs this infrastructure. We cannot continue to build freeways since they are inadequate by the time they are opened. That's why Los Angeles county is funding light rail and subways while other counties foolishly continue to put money into freeways [Orange county].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 03:27 AM
 
Location: The Chatterdome in La La Land, CaliFUNia
38,803 posts, read 19,635,129 times
Reputation: 35847
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm not sure I even understand Des-Lab post But ridership on mass transit will increase over time and that is one reason so much emphasis is being placed on trains. The future needs this infrastructure. We cannot continue to build freeways since they are inadequate by the time they are opened. That's why Los Angeles county is funding light rail and subways while other counties foolishly continue to put money into freeways [Orange county].
OC is one county that desperately needs light rail ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,630,127 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I'm not sure I even understand Des-Lab post But ridership on mass transit will increase over time and that is one reason so much emphasis is being placed on trains. The future needs this infrastructure. We cannot continue to build freeways since they are inadequate by the time they are opened. That's why Los Angeles county is funding light rail and subways while other counties foolishly continue to put money into freeways [Orange county].

Yes...and the ridership for the Gold Line will INCREASE once they complete the downtown connector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
 
291 posts, read 629,098 times
Reputation: 277
$690 Milllion is a drop in the buck when we we are funding endless foreign wars. We just passsed $33 Billion dollars for the next qurter 2010. All on borrowed money.

Imagine how many transit / infrastructures projects and how many jobs that would create in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Pasadena
7,413 posts, read 7,871,773 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
$690 Milllion is a drop in the buck when we we are funding endless foreign wars. We just passsed $33 Billion dollars for the next qurter 2010. All on borrowed money.

Imagine how many transit / infrastructures projects and how many jobs that would create in the states.
I know it. When we put things in perspective it makes me angry that so much of our tax money goes to fight endless wars in a part of the world that basically hate Americans and each other. Think of all those funds spent in Iraq and Afghanistan and how much good that money could have provided for America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,630,127 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Des-Lab View Post
Let's not be too quick to pat ourselves on the back. The last passenger trains to traverse the Gold Line corridor was back in January 1994 when Amtrak ran its final Southwest Chief trains and the line was still a Santa Fe railroad route.

Metrolink offered to take over rail service the very next day, which WAS possible considering that an intact and good rail system was in place. Of course the LAMTA and the cities of Pasadena and South Pasadena shot it down and the rails were immediately torn out. They cited the typical NIMBY concerns such as "noise", "vibration", "pollution", etc, despite the fact that the corridor had been in use in that capacity since the G**DAMNED 1880's. That is not a typo. The route was that old.

We all know of course that the issue boiled down to aesthetics and the "sexy appeal" of "modern and futuristic" Light Rail (basically a glorified bus on rails) as opposed to any legitimate superiority.

The MTA further dropped the ball by letting the residents of those cities get used to nearly a decade of silence. So naturally, they rose up in opposition even to the LRT that now exists. As far as I know, they STILL resent it being there.

Now the Gold Line is being built, not because of any legitimate need (ridership numbers have been abysmal since Day One), but rather, as a political "put a sock in it" to the cities of the SGV so that they won't have anything to complain about when LA county turns its attention to the West Side and other area projects that are really much higher on the wish list.

But on the plus side: think of how many people collected paychecks while A) the professional obstructionists kept this project in limbo for how many years while at the same time, others were lobbying for it and B) how many more will be employed to remove the existing line and rebuild it from scratch.

Using it as it was with perhaps just a few improvements to signalling and the installation of platforms and running Metrolink on it would've made too much sense: it would've been cheaper, faster, and now, it would've already been in service for 16 years.

And we are throwing a party because it will be *ONLY* TWENTY from the time the last trains ran on it until you can do so again. For HALF the original distance. And meanwhile, Gold line proponents still want to see it extended out to Montclair, Ontario Airport, then eventually Palm Springs, New York City, and finally, the moon.

Sorry. But the whole thing is just an utter embarrasment.
Yes..our rail system has been subject to a political process that often produces a less than optimal result.

While in many respects it would have been more "efficient" to have a Robert Moses (with unlimited powers) to design and build the most efficient and equitable rail system, I would not want the perfect to be the enemy of the good.

We are finally seeing the rail system expand (with more in the works) which is LONG overdue.

Granted there are plenty of flaws...Green Line not going to LAX, a transfer required from Green to Blue to get from LAX to downtown, Red/Purple line stopping at Wilshire/Western, etc.

Some of these "flaws" will be fixed in the long run, others we will have to live with. But the "good news" is we are building more rail and extending more lines. The longer you wait the more costs rise....so I'll take any progress we can get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Reputation: 2244
as a daily rider: im all for trains.
but i do question why the gold line was put through PAS before east LA, and why its being put out into the burbs before its put in denser, urban, transit dependant communities where ridership ALREADY exists...

i would much rather a solid system within a reasonable perimeter of DTLA. then build outwards to the suburbs. (but not before tackling those previous issues of DT connector, LAXconnector. etc etc)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top