U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 28,347 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I am moving to LA this August , (I will be at USC).

I am searching for a place (studio or one bedroom is ok)close enough to USC (I am planning to buy a car so a trip around 30 minutes is ok).

I've heard that safety is a real problem in some places and I haven't been to LA before so I will need help on this. Safety is a must, I can be flexible on anything else.

Do you think it is possible to find such apartment for around/under 1300$ (There is an offering in an apartment nearby, but the cost is 800-900/mo per bed where you share a room with someone else).

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 PM

BTW I ruled out anywhere walking distance to USC since I heard very negative things(bad management, safety problems, parking space).

I am considering Pasadena , Korea Town etc. Is it possible to rent a safe place in those neighborhoods for around 1200-1300?

Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 AM

Hmm no answers, well is there a website I can check for available apartments and whether they are safe or not?

I looked at apartment reviews.com it was nice but you need to pt the exact name , I couldn't search from a google maps like map.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,010,458 times
If you Google a particular address, some reviews may pop up. I did that with the building I moved from a year ago, and it worked beautifully. I know about areas in the San Fernando Valley, but not Pasadena or Korea Town. Have you connected with any other USC students to see what their plans are? It's really too bad that's such an icky area. Good luck!

Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,412,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amateur View Post
Hmm no answers, well is there a website I can check for available apartments and whether they are safe or not?

I looked at apartment reviews.com it was nice but you need to pt the exact name , I couldn't search from a google maps like map.
The 'no answers' may be because you started with saying 'Unfortunately you are moving to Los Angeles'. I am not sure that is the best way to solicit help.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
If you Google a particular address, some reviews may pop up. I did that with the building I moved from a year ago, and it worked beautifully. I know about areas in the San Fernando Valley, but not Pasadena or Korea Town. Have you connected with any other USC students to see what their plans are? It's really too bad that's such an icky area. Good luck!
Thank you for the kind response SandyCo,

In Korea Town I found places around 1100 but they are close to Downtown and from what I read at that price/place it may not be a safe place to live.

It is really hard since I will have a 1-2 weeks of time to look for apartments and I won't have a car.

As for students, well I'm a graduate, I don't know anyone and I rather not to live with someone I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura
The 'no answers' may be because you started with saying 'Unfortunately you are moving to Los Angeles'. I am not sure that is the best way to solicit help.
I said unfortunately because I never wanted to move from where I live in the first place. However I never meant to say that LA is not a nice place to live in although now I see that the area around USC is quite problematic in terms of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles