U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 10:58 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,269,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersocks View Post
There may even be a minivan in the future. Don't judge me.
Ha hah! We're in the process of trying to sell our two smaller cars & buying one Rav4... which is a big deal for us.

I was looking at one yesterday and wondering if I would be some day carting around my daughter and her friends (hopefully to band practice and not soccer!) and if I needed something even bigger. It was freaky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Update: Our MH short sale got approved. We had a house inspection and most of it came back with minor stuff EXCEPT that there are some bolting issues plus 2 cracks in the foundation.

My realtor said this was somewhat common on hillside houses (the house was built in the '60s), but suggested I get a structural engineer up there to inspect it for my peace of mind. So... that's what I'm doing. The LAST thing I want to have happen is for the house to go sliding off the hill during an earthquake. YIKES!

Anyone else had bolting/cracking issues with their house?

Old 07-31-2010, 10:05 AM

Just an update on Montecito Heights. As I mentioned, I was concerned about earthquakes, etc...

Our inspector found some "troubling" stuff in regards to cracks in the foundation so we hired a structural engineer to look at it.

If I may quote:

"One decent earthquake and this house will fall."

It wasn't even the cracks in the foundation (which weren't great, of course), but the way the house had been built. The beams, bolting, etc... (he estimated it would cost anywhere from $25k to $50k+ to fix)

Not. Good. Suffice to say, we didn't buy the house.

For for any future people thinking of buying a house in the hills, I HIGHLY recommend getting a structural engineer to take a look at it. It was well worth the $350.

Now it's back to square 1

Old 07-31-2010, 07:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,371 times
Good advice. We were fortunate when we bought our home in Mt Washington. Turns out the supporting piles were driven nearly 30 feet in the ground, helping stabilize the structure. We lived in MH in a house that had a lower-level added. It wasn't quite plumb and had a lot to do with us not trying to buy the place outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Just an update on Montecito Heights. As I mentioned, I was concerned about earthquakes, etc...

Our inspector found some "troubling" stuff in regards to cracks in the foundation so we hired a structural engineer to look at it.

If I may quote:

"One decent earthquake and this house will fall."

It wasn't even the cracks in the foundation (which weren't great, of course), but the way the house had been built. The beams, bolting, etc... (he estimated it would cost anywhere from $25k to $50k+ to fix)

Not. Good. Suffice to say, we didn't buy the house.

For for any future people thinking of buying a house in the hills, I HIGHLY recommend getting a structural engineer to take a look at it. It was well worth the $350.

Now it's back to square 1

Old 08-03-2010, 09:46 AM

9 posts, read 33,358 times
Good luck, readymade! Lots more houses on the market in both Eagle Rock, Montecito Heights and the rest of Northeast Los Angeles. Not all hillside homes are built the way your short sale was. Don't fear the hills. As I said a hundred posts ago, hill homes are connected to bedrock when they're properly built and fare better than homes on the flat that are near streams and rivers. Time is on your side to find a great home and you have an excellent realtor.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:05 PM

1 posts, read 519 times
Default Bedrock location

I'm looking at a lot of the cheaper hillside lots in eagle rock and I'm curious if anyone has any general ideas of what level the bedrock tends to be? 10' below grade? less? More? Just curious if anyone has any experience on that...

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles