U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 3,088 times

Advertisements

My son & are tenants in an apartment in los Angeles-but my name is not on lease. I pay by check "on time". His father is lease holder. I couldn't get on the lease because of an eviction 4 years ago when he had abandonded us. The management knew he didn't live with us, but let me rent the apartment anyway.

Last year the manager sent letters stating all occupants need to be on lease & asked me to fill out application, & pay $25 credit fee which I said I had already done 2 yrs ago. So I did it again & asked if I would be put on the lease - they said NO because of a prior eviction. She filed my application away and I continued residing as a tenant and paying my rent...but not being on the lease.

Last week my new car got keyed but mgr she said there's nothing she can do. So I tell landlord about this and ask if he has cameras rolling. He asked me if I knew who did it? I said no. He said cameras are only surveyllance - no film. THEN he asked me if I was on the lease? I said no - so he said he will issue me a 60 Day Notice!!! The manager brought me the notice right away. I have no money to just up and move at this time. My son is disabled and we are being threatened to be put out on the street if I can't save enough money to move in 60 days. Do I have any rights as I have been a good paying tenant for 3 years?

Can I file a retaliation suit & expect judge to grant additional time?
Any advice at all is very much appreciated. thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:56 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
You need to consult a lawyer or at the very least, one of those legal clinics that offers a free consultation. I'm sure if you Google it you can find something. I'm sorry we can't be of more help!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 PM

4 posts, read 7,189 times
copy and paste/helpful site

California Courts: Self-Help Center: More Topics: Landlord/Tenant: Questions & Answers: Eviction Questions & Answers: A Guide for Tenants: How can the tenant stop or delay the eviction?

Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 AM

69,289 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunoverla View Post
My son & are tenants in an apartment in los Angeles-but my name is not on lease. I pay by check "on time". His father is lease holder. I couldn't get on the lease because of an eviction 4 years ago when he had abandonded us. The management knew he didn't live with us, but let me rent the apartment anyway.

Last year the manager sent letters stating all occupants need to be on lease & asked me to fill out application, & pay $25 credit fee which I said I had already done 2 yrs ago. So I did it again & asked if I would be put on the lease - they said NO because of a prior eviction. She filed my application away and I continued residing as a tenant and paying my rent...but not being on the lease.

Last week my new car got keyed but mgr she said there's nothing she can do. So I tell landlord about this and ask if he has cameras rolling. He asked me if I knew who did it? I said no. He said cameras are only surveyllance - no film. THEN he asked me if I was on the lease? I said no - so he said he will issue me a 60 Day Notice!!! The manager brought me the notice right away. I have no money to just up and move at this time. My son is disabled and we are being threatened to be put out on the street if I can't save enough money to move in 60 days. Do I have any rights as I have been a good paying tenant for 3 years?

Can I file a retaliation suit & expect judge to grant additional time?
Any advice at all is very much appreciated. thank you!
you certainly need more help than any of us can give you. All most of us can say is based on opinion.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles