U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:35 AM

59 posts, read 591,575 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher in Southern California (in the Inland Empire), I was wondering which school districts you thought were the BEST to work for? Which support teachers, etc....!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 08:23 AM

4,128 posts, read 10,778,596 times
That is a question that really only an individual person can answer based on personality, what they prefer, etc....

In the Inland Empire I have friends who worked in Glendora, West Covina, Temple City, Arcadia and San Dimas who loved it.

I worked in LAUSD for 16.5 years and loved it. But those people listed above would have sold body parts before allowing themselves to have to work in LAUSD!

So, each person is different. LAUSD has a very, very strong union and I really have come to appreciate that. There are also many issues with working in LAUSD, but overall, I preferred it.

I personally think you need to figure out what is important to you (what do you mean by support teachers? for example) and find people who work in those districts and ask questions.

Dawn

Old 06-28-2007, 09:17 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,555,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatorspeakingtruth View Post
I am a teacher in Southern California (in the Inland Empire), I was wondering which school districts you thought were the BEST to work for? Which support teachers, etc....!
Without a doubt, Conejo Valley Unified and Las Virgenes. Las Virgenes is part of Los Angeles bordering Ventura County..very small, and Conejo Valley is Ventura County with many schools to choose from. One of the top high schools in the country is Westlake High in Westlake Village (CVUSD).

Old 06-28-2007, 10:09 AM

25,735 posts, read 28,188,980 times
Educator, where do you teach? My son is in special classes in Glendora. I find his classes to be very good. Especially the teacher to student ratio.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:07 AM

18 posts, read 119,476 times
Default Oak Park, Westlake

Great informatin from puffle... can anybody help me with this?
Puffle seems to know quite a bit about Oak Park and Westlake.
I would appreciate if you guys give info on Brookside, Oak Hills, Westlake and Westlake Hills Elementary. I know they are all schools with high API, I know these are great and quite communities, etc.
I would like to know more about how well are the kids served in these schools in regards to special needs or when the kids are not over and above these schools standards.
I understand that sometimes the schools do well because of the extra tutoring the kids get and not necessary for the schools help. I kind of want some more inside info on these specific schools. THANK YOU!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 AM

1,772 posts, read 6,537,173 times
The first one that comes to mind for me is the Palos Verdes Unified School District. Both Peninsula and Palos Verdes are consistently ranked in the top 100 high schools in the country. Can't do that without a strong teacher ethic and parental support.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 18,539,523 times
Los Alamitos School District tends to have fairly seasoned teachers, which I think lends to a good environment to work for. 15-20+ year teachers are fairly common in the district, and many of them have done it all in the district from the start. Also difficult to get into without expierence/references in general

Old 08-08-2008, 12:42 AM

1 posts, read 57,201 times
Default Need Help!!

I would appreciate if somebody help me out. My son is about to start high school. I live in Los Angeles. We live a couple blocks from Belmont High School.
I checked on PSK12.com, and Belmont High School is on the 768th. I want my son to have a good education. I want him to have the right education and skills to be prepared for college?

I see that Beverly Hills High School in on the first 100 best high schools.
what should I do? I know that I may not get my son to be transferred to another high school.
Thank you

Old 08-09-2008, 05:52 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,098,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug30 View Post
I would appreciate if somebody help me out. My son is about to start high school. I live in Los Angeles. We live a couple blocks from Belmont High School.
I checked on PSK12.com, and Belmont High School is on the 768th. I want my son to have a good education. I want him to have the right education and skills to be prepared for college?

I see that Beverly Hills High School in on the first 100 best high schools.
what should I do? I know that I may not get my son to be transferred to another high school.
Thank you
Only one way is to move house close to a good school,then you stand a fighting chance.
BHHS is a good school my son is in a band with two kids from that school and they seem like good kids to me.
However I would guess that over 50% of the kids are from family's that could put their kids into private schools if they wanted to!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 57,121 times
I am an ex teacher. The best districts are Whittier, Pomona, Santa Monica Malibu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles