U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,221 times

Advertisements

So i think im ready to move to California im 19 years old . Live in Michigan right now and just want to leave but i have some family members that i will definitely miss..Babies being born and i will miss them growing up..Im not being ignorant because i am leaving its just thats where my college and future job will be..And its hard to leave because i know that i wont be apart of there lives only when i come back and visit which wont be very often..Its hard but i think im just going to do it..What do you think?? I cant tie my life down and what i want to do with it just to make them happy right??idk im confused
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:55 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,853,806 times
Your post might be better suited for the "Relationship" forum if you are asking advice about leaving your family.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:56 PM

291 posts, read 628,088 times
Poor little guy. I feel your pain. It is true when you move away you will miss many family events....but it's a rite of passage that we all have gone through to better our lives. Are you heading out to College in L.A.?

Old 06-27-2010, 11:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,221 times
Yes, in TV/Film Production..its hard to think about i have already waited a little over a year..But its getting to the point where i need to leave but i need that push and nobody is giving me it lol they all want me to stay here

Old 06-27-2010, 11:29 PM

291 posts, read 628,088 times
I would recommend that you first get a solid undergraduate education first at a local State College in Michigan first. Perhaps at 19 you are far too young to venture so away from the nest. (I know I was at your age).

Not sure how much an education that you will get in the production end of film making at your age.

Once you get a solid university education and some maturity in years you may have another view.

Film Schools should be done at the graduate level.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM

38,803 posts, read 19,604,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrowski View Post
So i think im ready to move to California im 19 years old . Live in Michigan right now and just want to leave but i have some family members that i will definitely miss..Babies being born and i will miss them growing up..Im not being ignorant because i am leaving its just thats where my college and future job will be..And its hard to leave because i know that i wont be apart of there lives only when i come back and visit which wont be very often..Its hard but i think im just going to do it..What do you think?? I cant tie my life down and what i want to do with it just to make them happy right??idk im confused
Planning to relocate to another state without knowing anyone requires careful consideration and a PLAN for supporting yourself. California has a high cost of living and the job market isn't that great right now due to the economy. Do you have a job lined up or savings to tide you over? You mentioned college, have you been accepted into a college/university yet? Since you are out of state, you will have to pay non-resident tuition. Even if California is your ideal place to live, you will most likely feel homesick and it will be an adjustment. Lots of folks want the "California dream" but without careful planning, you would likely wind up with the California nightmare. There have been several threads posted where folks were having difficulties making it in California. You are young. Have you considered pursuing your education in Michigan first then set your sights on locating a job within California and moving once you have the offer?

Old 06-28-2010, 01:52 AM

425 posts, read 1,681,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittNewbie View Post
Film Schools should be done at the graduate level.
What would be so wrong with getting a bachelor's in film and then moving on to get a graduate degree in it?

That being said...

Nick-
Have you been accepted to any universities out here yet? It sort of sounds like you may have been, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Also, you can't live your life for other people, just yourself. However, keep in mind, being in California isn't really what is going to make you happy, that has to come from you.

It's going to be hard. I'm not going to lie to you. You can't think of all the things you're going to miss, if you really want this. You have to think of all the experiences YOU will have.

However, you also need to be smart about it. If you haven't been accepted to a university out here, then you should apply first and see if you're accepted instead of coming out here and doing it. If you get rejected, I would take Pitt's advice and stay in Michigan. Find out the transfer requirements for the university you want to transfer to, go to a community college in Michigan, and then try to transfer from there.

Don't do this blindly, it will not end well. And realise it WILL be hard and you WILL be homesick. It gets better over time, trust me.

ETA: Also, what kind of scholarships, if any, are you getting, if you have been accepted? Even if you haven't been, that's something to take into consideration. If you're not getting a lot in scholarships, you're going to have to start looking for grants and loans to cover the expense of school. A job would also be helpful, but keep in mind, it's not that much easier to find a job here than it is in Michigan. Not saying it's impossible, but I know people who have lived here a year and are still doing temp/trade show work.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 AM

1,070 posts, read 2,887,437 times
Make the move five minutes later you wont remember their names.
Sad but true... Welcome to the entertainment business!!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickrowski View Post
Yes, in TV/Film Production..its hard to think about i have already waited a little over a year..But its getting to the point where i need to leave but i need that push and nobody is giving me it lol they all want me to stay here
are you already enrolled in college or do you plan on living in Ca for a year or so before attending school? Are you planning on a 2 year college or will you be attending one of the univesities? I guess you realize out of state tuition is very high regardless and most schools have already filled their quoto for the coming year.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles