U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM

330 posts, read 1,179,301 times

Advertisements

I am here in the Studio City/North Hollywood area for the summer up in the hills surrounded by beautiful lush colorful greenery, flowers, etc. I love it. But at night, in my rental house, I have itchy eyes, itchy throat, runny nose, sneezing, etc. I am wondering if many new comers to California, LA, etc., experience an allergic reaction to the drier air and new vegetation or if maybe I am allergic to something in my house or cats or what?

I am coming from Florida, a humid place with pollen. I have never been allergic to cats and my landlord says that the previous renter did have cats. I have been trying to air out the place but maybe I am opening up the place to pollen and other stuff.

I don't know what to do? It usually only bothers me when I am inside of my house, but yesterday, I went out to Topanga Canyon to shop & walk around and all I did was sneeze, have puffy eyes and a runny nose. It was breezy yesterday.

Since I arrived Tuesday, I have been in Los Olivos, Griffith Park Observatory, Hollywood Hills, Glendale, and downtown LA, indoors and outdoors, and have not have any reactions until I came back home where immediately I start sneezing, the itchies, etc.

How do I test for molds, or allergies or what? I have a lease for 3 months and I don't know if I am allergic to the place I am in and its contents or the new pollens in the area.

My landlord is very nice and has placed air purifiers in the place and is going to add a window in the bathroom (it currently smells moldy to me without a vent or window). He wants to know if I need to move. I don't want to move, but I don't know how much longer I can take this.

Anyone else experiencing similar reactions being new to this climate and area? Or is it just me? I have not gone out to buy allergy medicines yet, but that is next on my list!

Oh, and I was here for 10 days in April (but not in this particular house), and did not have any reactions like this either but maybe the blooms were not as lush as they are now?

Last edited by 2peaches2oranges; 06-28-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,824,032 times
You might have hay fever but it sounds that your symptoms occur mostly when you are in your house. Hopefully the landlord will help you track down if the place has molds. But if you experienced the same thing in Topanga canyon it may be an allergy. You may be allergic to several things. My brother is allergic to castor bean trees and it took a long time before we figured out exactly what was causing the hay fever-like symptoms. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 AM

237 posts, read 559,186 times
Actually, hay fever is WORSE in areas other than Los Angeles as our meager rainfall means much less plant life and pollen. I can tell you, having visited relatives in other parts of the country where they have much more rainfall and far more lush growth, I have been miserable there. In fact, my Houston and Louisiana relatives tell me their hay fever clears up when they visit here in Los Angeles. When we do get a greater rainfall season, then that's when the pollen count goes up, but normally, it is better here than just about anywhere else, except for desert cites like Phoenix, perhaps.

Most likely something in the house is affecting you, and one can develop allergies as we age. You could be developing an allergy to the cats that where in your unit, and perhaps there is more fine cat hair that you can't see.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,179,301 times
I removed all old bedding and rugs and replaced them. I am doing much better now. No more allergies!

Old 07-19-2016, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 498 times
I'm going to move from the uk which us obviously wet and rainy most of the time, even our summers are humid wet and full of pollen. Will la with its dry heat be better for living in with allergies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles