U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 04:44 AM

237 posts, read 560,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You could walk there from San Diego if you want. It will take a while but you can do it. As for me I don't mind paying the parking fee to drive up to the place.
There is also the issue of vehicular traffic at and near the Universal Studios complex. Red Line is a safe and efficient alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 AM

237 posts, read 560,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP001 View Post
I have walked up and down that hill 2 times. I guess 25 min sounds right from the bottom to City Walk but I recall it seeming much quicker.

Many people walk up and down the hill. I've seen people doing it everytime I've drove up and down it. Heh!

I've never had any problems with muggers, etc.. My girlfriend and I walked down the main road at 1am looking for pizza and beer
Yeah, keep pressing your luck. And I've never had a problem growing up in a high-crime gang area, and visiting friends in their high-crime gang infested areas, but that doesn't mean I was never at risk. Hell, I had business walking and taking buses and subway in the Westlake District (MacArthur Park neighborhood) back when it was worse than today--countless visits walking along Alvarado through stinky 6th Street and beyond, and have walked from Alameda and 7th walking north through the druggies injecting themselves in the doorways and the filthy prostitutes hanging out the window soliciting business--all in plain view--in the days before the slight clean-up, and NOTHING ever happened to me, either, but I would never advise anyone to go to those areas on foot, just because I was a big male, smart, knew where I was going, grew-up in tough LA neighborhood and frequented other tough areas as my friends and school mates lived there, and even felt what sociologists refer to as "familiarity" with some of these areas, especially Westlake district. However, it would be at best irresponsible for me to tell anyone that those places are OK to walk through just because noting happened to me. What, nice people in nice tourist areas don't ever become victims of purse snatchings or kidnappings? Old Pasadena is having some problems, as well. Always, anywhere, caution should be taken at night.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:14 AM

63 posts, read 225,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
Yeah, keep pressing your luck. And I've never had a problem growing up in a high-crime gang area, and visiting friends in their high-crime gang infested areas, but that doesn't mean I was never at risk. Hell, I had business walking and taking buses and subway in the Westlake District (MacArthur Park neighborhood) back when it was worse than today--countless visits walking along Alvarado through stinky 6th Street and beyond, and have walked from Alameda and 7th walking north through the druggies injecting themselves in the doorways and the filthy prostitutes hanging out the window soliciting business--all in plain view--in the days before the slight clean-up, and NOTHING ever happened to me, either, but I would never advise anyone to go to those areas on foot, just because I was a big male, smart, knew where I was going, grew-up in tough LA neighborhood and frequented other tough areas as my friends and school mates lived there, and even felt what sociologists refer to as "familiarity" with some of these areas, especially Westlake district. However, it would be at best irresponsible for me to tell anyone that those places are OK to walk through just because noting happened to me. What, nice people in nice tourist areas don't ever become victims of purse snatchings or kidnappings? Old Pasadena is having some problems, as well. Always, anywhere, caution should be taken at night.

Okay... with all that said, there is a difference between exiting the red line/crossing the street/walking up the hill and the several places you mentioned. We're talking about the hill that leads up to Universal Studio! NOT about Alameda/7th (for example) Give me a break!

I'm not saying it's a candy land but don't you think your going a bit overboard? LOL- I'm "pressing my luck"? By walking on foot in this area? Are you kidding me?? Dont get me wrong. Anything can happen anywhere to anyone, Yes! ...but still!

Mind you, I never advised anyone it's OK to walk through (go back and read my post again) I simply stated my own experience. Let others form their own decisions of what is "OK" based on that. If anything, your post seems to (misleadingly) discourage one from walking up/down the hill. Yet you actually contributed no useful information to the topic itself!

-JP

Old 07-02-2010, 02:50 PM

6,234 posts, read 9,530,466 times
Thanks for the help guys!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,845,746 times
Cool Let me get this straight....

So everyone is at risk, 24/7. And it doesn't matter where you are because tragedy could strike at any time. And it's irresponsible to recommend a place that has a 'safe' recommendation based on personal experience. Something might happen and it if it does it can be traced back to your personal observations.

Did I miss anything? I certainly won't be reading travel books, or booking hotels in other cities. That data/advice is based on personal experiences. For that matter, I won't ever leave my house at night. Wouldn't want to press my luck.

One offers advice based on opinion, as well as experience. The questioner KNOWS that this is purely subjective, not written in stone. At least I hope that is the case. You gotta have a little faith in people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerry View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles