U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 12:34 AM

425 posts, read 1,677,827 times

Advertisements

On another forum I post at having to do with LA, someone posted this:

COMPLETE CITY OF LA SHUTDOWN JULY 01, 2010 | LA City Workers.com - City of LA Blog

Quote:
On July 01,2010 Either these members will Not report to work, or will completely shutdown.

NO Trash Pick-up, Parking will NOT BE ENFORCED, 911 Operators will not be at work to answer emergency calls for service, mechanics will not be able to repair police or fire vehicles, Inspectors will not be around for inspections or enforcement, clerks will not be in any public building to help the public, Waste Water workers will not be treating wastewater, sanitation will not be clearing backed up sewer lines, DOT officers will not be writing parking tickets so peak hour enforcement will not exist. Alleys will not be cleared, potholes will not be filled, streets will not be swept, parks will have NO police protection, no detention officers will report to work, no traffic signal repair will occur. Public buildings will be unsecured, the list is endless.

After the choice of Eric Garcetti and the EERC to impose layoffs and furloughs and rob the public of it’s workforce that they are paying for the coalition of city unions and lacityworkers.com are calling on the membership to simply stay home.

Workers may rally at city hall on that day or choose to have a long 4th of July weekend, the public can contact Eric Garcetti or his field deputy Marta.Segura@lacity.org to have her pick up their trash, impound illegally parked vehicles, remove downed trees or for any other city service.
“A Day Without a City Worker” is a reality. Council has the money, they are robbing the taxpayers of the service they pay for and we will NOT stand for it any longer.

Members of other unions are strongly encouraged to participate, as well, since all of our fate rests in the hands of an empowered workforce.
LAPPL and UFLAC Members are asked to respect our job action and only perform those duties which they are sworn to perform.

This is an action which will determine our future for many years to come, it would be most advisable to not report for work that day those actions will be deemed as a direct assault on the workforce and will make for a very uncomfortable work environment, not to mention nobody will be there to process your time.

This is our future this is our voice! Council needs to find a better way for LA!
Has anyone else heard/read about this? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 12:52 AM

12,977 posts, read 28,809,137 times
Hey Chicken Little, Did you bother to do any further investigation into this other than reposting someone else's posting of someone else's blog?

Old 07-01-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Hey Chicken Little, Did you bother to do any further investigation into this other than reposting someone else's posting of someone else's blog?
Hey genius, did you look at who the blog represents (or is supposed to) before you hit reply? And did you notice where I asked if anyone else had heard about it? Or did you miss all of that when you decided to try your hand at being snarky?

Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 AM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
Even if this is true, only one day of no city service wouldn't have much of an impact. It would have to last longer than a week. That's when the impact of no garbage pickup, etc. would definitely start being felt.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times
How long do you think it will take the city to determine which employees we don't need now?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM

4,031 posts, read 8,301,481 times
That blog is run by an idiot who does not represent anyone.

Just because they call it lacityworkers doesn't mean the blog speaks for anyone.

None of the city unions had any planned job action scheduled for July 1st.

Don't believe everything you read.

Old 07-01-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
That blog is run by an idiot who does not represent anyone.

Just because they call it lacityworkers doesn't mean the blog speaks for anyone.

None of the city unions had any planned job action scheduled for July 1st.

Don't believe everything you read.
Where did I say I believed it? Nowhere. I ASKED if anyone else had heard/read about it because I didn't completely believe it myself, but didn't want to completely dismiss it, either. I didn't come on here and be like, "you have been forewarned Los Angeles!" and preaching it as truth, I was simply trying to gather more information for myself and see if anyone else knew anything about it - whether it was true or false. And I'm glad to know that the site is ran by a tool, it seemed rather shady (hence, why I put "supposed to" in parenthesis, as I was not sure, but no, I didn't phrase my response that well, either).

Old 07-01-2010, 06:51 PM

186 posts, read 538,604 times
I highly doubt 911 workers would leave work for a day....

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970diego View Post
I highly doubt 911 workers would leave work for a day....
I doubt they would, either. But I'm sure Reagan wasn't expecting the air traffic controllers to actually go on strike, either. Although, I am sure the city would have done what Reagan did - fired them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles