U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
787 posts, read 1,054,770 times
Reputation: 351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
You mentioned WASP--so you have inserted color into this discussion.

There are worse things to call a person than a "bigot." I think you are wrong in so many ways. You seem to want to claim tolerance, yet, the moment I posted something contrary to what you believe, you went on the attack. You do realize that the people who do not fit my description, do not practice tolerance in their own culture or religion? In many cases, they are the antithesis of tolerance. So, I think you are incredibly naive and living in a fantasy world. My view of a traditonal American is based on irrefutable fact. You still have not disproved anything.

Do I, Jay100, think atheists are real Americans? Of course, if you're a legal citizen, then, you are an American but you just do not support all of the things that made America great; you're not a traditional American. You can be a Muslim, Buddhist, Communist, Anarchist, Jewish, Socialist, Android, not speak a word of English, anti-American, anti-Western and still be a legal citizen of the USA.

Is this discussion over or what? I feel like I am repeating myself.
Well, thankfully your view of the "traditional" American is a minority viewpoint. It is funny when those with a narrow/intolerant viewpoint accuse others of being intolerant. You are NOT fooling anyone but yourself Jay.

What made America great is that those largely Protestant founding fathers kept religion out of the U.S. Constitution and NOT a test for citizenship.

You appear to want to make allegiance to Christianity a litmus test for being an American. You have a lot more in common with the mullahs in Iran than you do with the founding fathers of the United States.

 
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
 
899 posts, read 671,074 times
Reputation: 1007
Man, you guys are all ignorant.

In ANY country it's money and education that seperate the populace. It just so happens that in this one, that goes along with skin color because of the discriminatory laws that have been put into place by the majority which just happens to be white people.

Just like any other social structure, the "haves" of the United States want to keep the "have nots" from earning more so they do everything in their power to keep them in "their place".

Just be glad that you live in a place where you are allowed to still keep your cultural identity and be successful. Those of us, immigrant or otherwise, who have lived in run down areas and want to get out can work hard and make it out. Those of us who don't want to get out, don't. There's no such thing as "can't" in this country, only "won't".

Hate hispanics all you want white Californians but realize that, if we and every other brown or non white cultures were gone, you'd hate other white people who behaved the same way. Just look at how "white trash" is looked down upon in other states of this great country by those who are doing better than they are.

I'm not going to lie and tell you all that I don't especially dislike brown people who choose to live in squalor and ignorance and then look down upon brown people like myself and my wife who choose to work hard in order not to but I hold ANYONE who chooses to live like that in contempt. Being poor is no excuse for being a degenerate no matter what your hue is and being part of a culture is even less of an excuse for this.

I also don't blame anyone who is angry for being disrespected (since I am too) but don't make this about "race". If you do, you're no less ignorant than those who use "race" as an excuse to behave badly.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 07:52 PM
 
1,986 posts, read 2,311,156 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Well, thankfully your view of the "traditional" American is a minority viewpoint. It is funny when those with a narrow/intolerant viewpoint accuse others of being intolerant. You are NOT fooling anyone but yourself Jay.

What made America great is that those largely Protestant founding fathers kept religion out of the U.S. Constitution and NOT a test for citizenship.

You appear to want to make allegiance to Christianity a litmus test for being an American. You have a lot more in common with the mullahs in Iran than you do with the founding fathers of the United States.




Minority viewpoint? Says who? You? Atheists and their views are the smallest minority in this entire discussion. It is a FACT that most Americans past and present are all of the items I listed. Fortunately, you just live in a bubble somewhere, out of touch with the average everyday traditional American and non-traditional American/immigrant.

I never claimed to be a bastion of tolerance. You on the other hand, want to save the world and sing kumbaya with people who would chop your head off if given the opportunity...while attacking me for the mere mention that traditional Americans are Christians. I kind of feel sorry for you. You are naive and you are a fool. I won't even touch on the fact that Atheism makes no sense.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:25 PM
 
10 posts, read 12,113 times
Reputation: 12
Alot of people are bitching about racism, but I find the post to be somewhat valid, as I have had A ton of trouble finding a job (I am a Los Angeles native) lately because I don't speak fluent Spanish and that is directly correlated to the amount of Spanish speaking people that reside here. I am currently learning, but I say if you don't speak Spanish, don't come to LA, it is very necessary.
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,362 posts, read 55,963,918 times
Reputation: 16422
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
the discriminatory laws that have been put into place by the majority which just happens to be white people.
What laws are those?
 
Old 08-10-2010, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Earth
12,012 posts, read 13,531,576 times
Reputation: 4126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurritoDreams View Post
Alot of people are bitching about racism, but I find the post to be somewhat valid, as I have had A ton of trouble finding a job (I am a Los Angeles native) lately because I don't speak fluent Spanish and that is directly correlated to the amount of Spanish speaking people that reside here. I am currently learning, but I say if you don't speak Spanish, don't come to LA, it is very necessary.
If you know English, Spanish, and Chinese fluently - then you'll be able to find a job in L.A. easily.

Unfortunately there are too many merely English/Spanish bilingual people and so the employers are increasingly demanding Mandarin as a third language.
 
Old 08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
 
899 posts, read 671,074 times
Reputation: 1007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What laws are those?
Well, in California, the current gun control laws were put into place in the 70s to stop a little group known as the Black Panther Party and other groups like it from carrying their guns in public, which was completely legal until then.

Even if most of them have been abolished, this country has had plenty of discriminatory laws that still have an impact today. In the grand scheme of things, the civil rights movement was not long enough ago that everything is fine and dandy today. Like I said before, it's about the "haves" not letting the "have nots" get ahead. Open discrimination is illegal but that doesn't mean that it doesn't still go on in our workplaces. You'd blush if you heard some of the racist conversations I've overheard in the offices of the company I work for. The irony is that the racist comments are hardly ever directed at white people even when it's brown people having these conversations.
 
Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Simi Valley
2,625 posts, read 3,393,292 times
Reputation: 1027
So, it isn't discriminatory when one is turned down for a job due to an inability to speak Spanish? I'd say that's pretty discriminatory, especially in a country where English is the official language. If I lived in Mexico or France I would find it reasonable that I know THEIR language in order to be employed, and not the other way around.

I've seen this issue breeding a lot of resentment, especially since so many out there are out of work, desperate for jobs, who do NOT want to be on the welfare system. One of my nieces has been turned down from working over a doxen jobs over the past 4 months because she doesn't know Spanish, including her application for Carl's Jr. Excuse me, but don't English speaking customers purchase food there, too???
 
Old 08-11-2010, 07:45 PM
 
899 posts, read 671,074 times
Reputation: 1007
I can understand why people are frustrated at not being able to get a job because they don't speak a foreign language but companies just want to make money and they want to pay their employees as little as possible. If they can hire cheap labor that is already bilingual, they're going to do it so they can get those dollars in their pockets. They don't care if that money is from non English speaking Mexicans, Koreans or Armenians.

Still, I find it interesting that I never hear anyone complaining about how they were discriminated against when they applied for that job in Korea town or Little Tokyo or China Town or Glendale for not speaking Korean, Japanese, Chinese or Armenian.

All the cultures I've listed above are also very xenophobic and do things that other cultures consider rude. The Japanese, for example, don't excuse themselves if they bump into you. The Armenians are loud, try to haggle in ANY store (it usually takes them a generation to realize that you can't do that in a place like Macy's) and scream at you when you don't give them the price they want. Don't even get me started on how difficult it is to have an intercultural romantic relationship with those peoples.

But I get it. They have money, keep their neighborhoods clean and manicured and they are not the biggest minority in the state (yet) so they're not a cause for concern.

I also find it interesting that there are no complaints about jobs being outsourced to India or Canada or Argentina (my company has outsourced call center jobs to these countries) but I guess it doesn't matter since those people are in their own countries and not in your backyard.

Like I said before, hate us all you want, but know that if every brown person were to suddenly, magicaly disspaear from this country, white people would just revert to hating and discriminating against each other. Or aren't you aware that even THAT still happens in other states?
 
Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
384 posts, read 374,144 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
So, it isn't discriminatory when one is turned down for a job due to an inability to speak Spanish? I'd say that's pretty discriminatory, especially in a country where English is the official language. If I lived in Mexico or France I would find it reasonable that I know THEIR language in order to be employed, and not the other way around.

I've seen this issue breeding a lot of resentment, especially since so many out there are out of work, desperate for jobs, who do NOT want to be on the welfare system. One of my nieces has been turned down from working over a doxen jobs over the past 4 months because she doesn't know Spanish, including her application for Carl's Jr. Excuse me, but don't English speaking customers purchase food there, too???
Check your facts. The United States of America does not have an official language.
Languages of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think its discriminatory to prefer employees who can speak more than one language. An employee that can speak two languages can help reach or serve more customers. Being multilingual is just a competetive edge. If you were an employer who had to hire just one worker and there were two applicants that were very similar except with one major difference, the fact that one candidate has only a Bachelor's degree and the other candidate has a Bachelors & a Master's Degree, which one would you hire? The one who can bring more to the table right? It's the same thing with speaking multiple languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top