U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:19 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 604,030 times
Default Trying to move to California

Hi all,
I live in Phoenix now, but am working to move to metro LA or the Bay Area as quickly as possible. I posted a thread a few months ago and a lot of people encouraged me to use local addresses and phone numbers if I could get some. I use local addresses now and managed to get an LA number, but it's just not working fast enough.

The situation is that I'm unemployed and am willing to move at my own expense. Long story short, because of my partner's job I can only look into moving to states bordering Arizona and El Paso/extreme west Texas so he can commute to Phoenix. Looking at a map, it's easy to understand why I'd prefer California.

In any case, I haven't been able to find anything through job boards, LinkedIn or companies' websites, and some networking groups I tried to join aren't going anywhere. The problem is my partner got a little proactive and did some networking in Phoenix, which may lead to a job here. Anyway, I don't want to live here and I'm wondering if anyone knows of other places I could be looking or if taking a job in Phoenix will really hurt my chances of getting out of this state. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM

364 posts, read 623,016 times
This is a catch-22 situation as most places won't rent to you unless you are employed. And you can't get employed since you are out of the area.

My question to you is - why do you want to move to LA? Do you have any idea how bad the economy here is? It's absolutely horrible. The state is on the verge of bankruptcy. If you or your partner can find a job in Phoenix then I would stay there until things here get a little better.

But now is not the time to move to LA. Or California in general.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:23 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
I remember you! You were really helpful in that last thread. And to answer your question:

-Today's low temperature is 91 degrees
-I'm tired of the tightness in my chest, congestion and headaches from allergies here
-Phoenix invested in an unstable economy and is paying for it now
-I haven't seen rain since February
-I have good credentials I could apply at a quality job... but there is an utter lack of those here
-Phoenix' economy hasn't even begun to get bad... it's still worsening here
-I live in a Phoenix-area "urban" setting, which is considered suburban to the rest of America
-I don't want to work in a call center or at a retail outlet, both of which are Phoenix favorites
-Companies that start making money in Phoenix often leave after making a name for themselves (and that's because more skilled/educated people live in other cities)
-It's turning into a politically hostile environment and is likely going to get worse this year

Those are some reasons. I'll chance California if I can find something. Phoenix is a hellhole.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
The LA smog might kill you too. Why LA? There are lots of places in CA you could go, you did mention the Bay Area and between there and San Diego is a whole lot of country. Have you lived in CA before? Is that why you zeroed in on LA/Bay Area? I wish I had more to say but if you can't find a job the only alternative is to just move here and hope for the best. Just have some savings to live off of in case you don't find a job quickly, and enough money to move back it it comes to that.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:08 PM

LOL! You make some really great points! And I remember just how bad Phoenix is as I have cousins that live there.

OK, here is what I suggest:

* CraigsList job board
* Apply with temp agencies. I was raised here and left for a couple of years. I had to come back as I started missing the things about LA that drove me crazy. When I came back, I temped for a bit while looking or FT work. What's your field? A temp agency may exist in your field which could make your job search a lot easier.
* Have you searched Indeed and/or SimplyHired? I love these job boards.

Are you planning on moving here without your partner? Or will he move here with you? What's his field? I know Phoenix has a worse economy than So Cal so I'm wondering if he could get work here.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The LA smog might kill you too. Why LA? There are lots of places in CA you could go, you did mention the Bay Area and between there and San Diego is a whole lot of country. Have you lived in CA before? Is that why you zeroed in on LA/Bay Area? I wish I had more to say but if you can't find a job the only alternative is to just move here and hope for the best. Just have some savings to live off of in case you don't find a job quickly, and enough money to move back it it comes to that.
I don't think the smog would bother me... I lived in Seoul for two years, which has the worst air quality of any place I've ever been, no question. Anyway, that didn't bother me so much.

The problem with this whole California-specific thing is my partner. He has to have a Phoenix base, though he can commute via plane for work (he flies free.) His company absolutely will not let him transfer to a different base. I only wish they would because that would open up so many more possibilities for me in East Coast cities. LA and the Bay Area are preferred because of multiple airports and more availability. On that note, that's why places in between those cities are a no: they're too hard for him to get into/out of. On top of that, I have a niche field and most of those kinds of jobs on the West Coast are in those two cities. But, to break away from California altogether, the only other realistic cities we could live in are Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Albuquerque and El Paso. Everything else north/northeast/east of those cities are too far.

I live in California on paper, but after all this looking I have only one promising lead I'm really hesitant to move without a job and "just get a job in Phoenix" is easier said than done. The economy is worsening here and I'd be willing to bet that by December Arizona's unemployment rate will be at or near 11%. I don't mean to just complain, but the jobs in this state are horrible. Part of why Phoenix got hit so hard in this housing bubble compared to other cities is because so many predatory real estate agents sold expensive houses to people making little more than minimum wage. I don't really want to go off on a tangent... but the majority of people here work in jobs like these and you'll notice an utter lack of major corporations in this city.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:32 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,237,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
I don't think the smog would bother me... I lived in Seoul for two years, which has the worst air quality of any place I've ever been, no question. Anyway, that didn't bother me so much.

The problem with this whole California-specific thing is my partner. He has to have a Phoenix base, though he can commute via plane for work (he flies free.) His company absolutely will not let him transfer to a different base. I only wish they would because that would open up so many more possibilities for me in East Coast cities. LA and the Bay Area are preferred because of multiple airports and more availability. On that note, that's why places in between those cities are a no: they're too hard for him to get into/out of. On top of that, I have a niche field and most of those kinds of jobs on the West Coast are in those two cities. But, to break away from California altogether, the only other realistic cities we could live in are Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Albuquerque and El Paso. Everything else north/northeast/east of those cities are too far.

I live in California on paper, but after all this looking I have only one promising lead I'm really hesitant to move without a job and "just get a job in Phoenix" is easier said than done. The economy is worsening here and I'd be willing to bet that by December Arizona's unemployment rate will be at or near 11%. I don't mean to just complain, but the jobs in this state are horrible. Part of why Phoenix got hit so hard in this housing bubble compared to other cities is because so many predatory real estate agents sold expensive houses to people making little more than minimum wage. I don't really want to go off on a tangent... but the majority of people here work in jobs like these and you'll notice an utter lack of major corporations in this city.
That's a tough one....
My thoughts are for you to apply in your field, in any location that you are personally interested in, and see what comes up. Even if it's not the cities you mentioned. IF perhaps you got a great gig somewhere, it would be confirmation that it's a good direction for you-and then your partner could consider looking for a new job. Just a thought, to get the ball rolling for you. I would leave the phx part OUT of the equation for the moment. And, you are not obligated to take any job you are offered, so simply applying in a city you would be interested in living-ie, back east-is not going to hurt the situation any.

And, I hear you on phx. I'd get the hel* out too.
Could you temporarly live in tucson? Not great, but slightly better.

btw, have you tried san diego? Not far from LAX, esp. if you lived in north county, and the SD airport is actually my all time favorite airport-=and that includes dozens of airports internationally and domestically. It's just so easy-peasy to get to-right downtown [for a city of this size!], and it's very much a tourist/vacation airport. Mellow and security is even friendly-lol.
Also, phx is only a 5-6 hr drive, straight shot on the 8 east, if your partner had to drive it at all.

And, how about Denver?

Good luck to you!

Last edited by lrmsd; 07-10-2010 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-10-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
LOL! You make some really great points! And I remember just how bad Phoenix is as I have cousins that live there.

OK, here is what I suggest:

* CraigsList job board
* Apply with temp agencies. I was raised here and left for a couple of years. I had to come back as I started missing the things about LA that drove me crazy. When I came back, I temped for a bit while looking or FT work. What's your field? A temp agency may exist in your field which could make your job search a lot easier.
* Have you searched Indeed and/or SimplyHired? I love these job boards.

Are you planning on moving here without your partner? Or will he move here with you? What's his field? I know Phoenix has a worse economy than So Cal so I'm wondering if he could get work here.
Oh thank you! Seeing your response made me laugh.

Do you know of any good agencies? If not I can check out Yelp.com, but the ones I've seen seem to be geared toward getting cast into a movie. I tried AppleOne in San Francisco, but they didn't call or get in touch with me. I consulted an AppleOne in Phoenix to try to get a job in California, but the woman got bitchy and refused to help I really think they get some commission placing people here and she didn't want to send that money to someone else.

My field... I just try to promote language skills. I have an MA in English (which usually is interchangeable with Journalism and Communications) and have proficiency in French and German. On top of that I'm studying Korean, Chinese and Japanese right now. Anyway, I'm good for communications, editing, proofreading, technical writing, etc. I will research employment agencies tomorrow.

I love Indeed.com, but how different is it from SimplyHired? I've seen SimplyHired postings appear on Indeed. I also look at higheredjobs.com, journalismjobs.com and also see what I can find on LinkedIn. Plus, I'll look at individual companies and see what they have. Ah... before I forget to mention it: I can fly free too, so any in-person networking groups in LA are no problem for me to get to.

He would move with me, and I think because I'm unemployed the timing couldn't be better for this move. I think that's why I'm so OCD and impatient with it. I don't have a work schedule that would prevent me from going there for an interview, don't have to list something on a resume in Phoenix so I can keep up the CA address illusion... and his job is flexible. He is a flight attendant, but doesn't want to do it forever. If I get a job there, we can transition: he can get a job when he's ready to leave the airline. I think this works better than both of us trying to find work in a different city simultaneously. More or less, his job search can wait because he's not interested in leaving yet.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
That's a tough one....
My thoughts are for you to apply in your field, in any location that you are personally interested in, and see what comes up. Even if it's not the cities you mentioned. IF perhaps you got a great gig somewhere, it would be confirmation that it's a good direction for you-and then your partner could consider looking for a new job. Just a thought, to get the ball rolling for you. I would leave the phx part OUT of the equation for the moment. And, you are not obligated to take any job you are offered, so simply applying in a city you would be interested in living-ie, back east-is not going to hurt the situation any.

And, I hear you on phx. I'd get the hel* out too.
Could you temporarly live in tucson? Not great, but slightly better.

btw, have you tried san diego? Not far from LAX, esp. if you lived in north county, and the SD airport is actually my all time favorite airport-=and that includes dozens of airports internationally and domestically. It's just so easy-peasy to get to-right downtown [for a city of this size!], and it's very much a tourist/vacation airport. Mellow and security is even friendly-lol.
Also, phx is only a 5-6 hr drive, straight shot on the 8 east, if your partner had to drive it at all.

And, how about Denver?

Good luck to you!
I've actually been tempted to look on the East Coast. I heard they aren't doing as bad right now. Maybe I'll just proactively look anyway. I don't really have anything else to do with my time.

And THANK YOU! I'm hearing friends/family say blowing off Phoenix is limiting my options. Options of what? That lucrative greeter position at Wal-Mart? I haven't really looked in Tucson... but I suppose I could. The problem is really Arizona: it's too dependent on industries that dried up.

I have looked in San Diego, but admit that I haven't dedicated as much time looking there as the other two, solely because when I do the job search more positions come up for LA and the Bay Area. Also, what really matters for him to commute is the airport. He flies free, as long as there's a seat. The customers take top priority.

I can check with him about Denver... but I know he said there are some doable cities that he discouraged and that was one of them. I think it's because a lot of other people commute to Phoenix to work. I believe Seattle, Portland and Dallas were on that list too.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Oh thank you! Seeing your response made me laugh.

Do you know of any good agencies? If not I can check out Yelp.com, but the ones I've seen seem to be geared toward getting cast into a movie. I tried AppleOne in San Francisco, but they didn't call or get in touch with me. I consulted an AppleOne in Phoenix to try to get a job in California, but the woman got bitchy and refused to help I really think they get some commission placing people here and she didn't want to send that money to someone else.

My field... I just try to promote language skills. I have an MA in English (which usually is interchangeable with Journalism and Communications) and have proficiency in French and German. On top of that I'm studying Korean, Chinese and Japanese right now. Anyway, I'm good for communications, editing, proofreading, technical writing, etc. I will research employment agencies tomorrow.
Check out Aquent. Sometimes they have positions in communications and such. Also check out the PRSA and IABC job boards for communications. If I was a career counselor - and with your language skills - I would go for a job in tourism. We have tourists visiting from all over the world. I would also look at Las Vegas. They are in bad shape as well but someone skilled in languages will always have a step up, especially if you work in hotel operations.

If you stay in the Southwest, I would also learn Spanish. I have a friend who is an ESL teacher and she loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles