Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:02 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,427,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Bunjee, well said. Bra-vo. Despite my general indifference towards Warhol, Rushca, and Williams, reps to you; particularly for bringing up irony in those movements, I would even extend that idea to Post-Modernism and Contemporary artistic ideas, generally speaking.
Yeah, post-modernism is such a minefield to get to what's enduring, and that's what we all want, unless we think we shouldn't or can't, and then it becomes a game that will never personally resonate by design. I will say the contemporary art world is horribly, horribly masturbatory. Yet there are works out there that move me, deeply. I've been surprised. You never know. If a gallery, any and anyone's gallery, can offer that experience then, well, there are worse ways a private donor can spend his money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,207,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
Yeah, post-modernism is such a minefield to get to what's enduring, and that's what we all want, unless we think we shouldn't or can't, and then it becomes a game that will never personally resonate by design. I will say the contemporary art world is horribly, horribly masturbatory. Yet there are works out there that move me, deeply. I've been surprised. You never know. If a gallery, any and anyone's gallery, can offer that experience then, well, there are worse ways a private donor can spend his money.
I believe we're having a moment. Everyone, say 'awwww.'

Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,935,185 times
Quote:
Yes, I never meant this thread to be an endorsement of post-modernism...which of course can mean different things to different people.

Agreed...much of what is labeled post-mod. is awful. Yet, not all "contemporary" art is post-modern (or horrendous for that matter).

The fact is there were NUMEROUS museums across the nation HOPING to land Broad's collection. LA has been a hot bed of contemporary art for years...but our museum collections have been slower to catch up.

This will help expand LA's range and I agree (and hope) a good piece of public architeture comes out of it and adds another dimension to our cultural landscape (even it's not filled with masterpieces like MOMA in NYC).

Old 08-24-2010, 11:50 PM

The Hammer museum collection was SUPPOSED to go to LACMA but the Hammer, the oil tycoon, changed his mind and did his own thing. Ditto for Broad.

Billionaire art collectors have egos......2 tough blows for LACMA.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:01 AM

2,209 posts, read 4,207,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
The Hammer museum collection was SUPPOSED to go to LACMA but the Hammer, the oil tycoon, changed his mind and did his own thing. Ditto for Broad.

Billionaire art collectors have egos......2 tough blows for LACMA.
I thought that the Broad Museum was going to be in part of LACMA as a division or a subdivision, no?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:16 AM

2,964 posts, read 5,427,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Yes, I never meant this thread to be an endorsement of post-modernism...which of course can mean different things to different people.

Agreed...much of what is labeled post-mod. is awful. Yet, not all "contemporary" art is post-modern (or horrendous for that matter).
Oh, that was just a side discussion, not a "broad" labeling of contemporary art.

The Hammer situation is precisely a charge aimed at this new museum, that it becomes for mausoleum for a single man who'll someday R.I.P. and that other art patrons will hesitate to donate to someone else's legacy. But what can ya do, y'know? It certainly would've been far more generous for him to offer it all to LACMA, or at least to take his name off the enterprise. But...[shrugs], I guess. We may get a nice building out of it at least, and that's not a bad least. Let's just not call it the Eli Broad Museum. Just the "Broad". It's a generic enough word, not necessarily a name. I can't wait to hit that Broad!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
I thought that the Broad Museum was going to be in part of LACMA as a division or a subdivision, no?

Broad did fund a new wing/building at LACMA that features contemporary art (I think it opened in 2008). Originally, he indicated he'd give LACMA his entire collection. But he changed his mind and now the arrangement is that he "lends" LACMA the use of his collection. Or something like that.

The Broad Museum to be built in Downtown LA will be a TOTALLY separate museum housing ALL of his works (or presumably his best ones or the ones he thinks are best). I suppose the rest will be on lend to LACMA.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Oh, that was just a side discussion, not a "broad" labeling of contemporary art.

The Hammer situation is precisely a charge aimed at this new museum, that it becomes for mausoleum for a single man who'll someday R.I.P. and that other art patrons will hesitate to donate to someone else's legacy. But what can ya do, y'know? It certainly would've been far more generous for him to offer it all to LACMA, or at least to take his name off the enterprise. But...[shrugs], I guess. We may get a nice building out of it at least, and that's not a bad least. Let's just not call it the Eli Broad Museum. Just the "Broad". It's a generic enough word, not necessarily a name. I can't wait to hit that Broad!
Yep...I hear you. Would have been better if they both had just given it all to LACMA. I can't stand the Hammer museum building....looks like a cold, sterile office building. I am hoping for a much better result on Grand Ave.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM

559 posts, read 1,372,483 times
Los Angeles is never going to have a collection which will match those in older cities since we got into the game too late for a large, choice set of old masters through the moderns. We're lucky that we have what we have, often due to the massive collections of magnates (e.g. Getty, Huntington, Norton Simon, Hearst, Broad, etc.)

No young city is going to be able to amass non-contemporary material comparable to what's at the Met or Louvre or Hermitage. Maybe a state entity, like China or Dubai, would be able to spend billions and billions and billions to assemble a world-class collection.

The European art that everyone lusts after is only available as occasional, monstrously priced auction items or if really fortunate, a gift.

If anything, there is a trend of antiquities being repatriated to their countries of origin.

L.A. should be collecting with a demonic zeal, important contemporary artists before they become future unobtainables. We should concentrate on local talent by growing it ourselves since local stuff tends be purchased locally (until it blows up) and there is a better chance that the resident collector will leave it here. Of course, this means that the role of acquisitions director is paramount as well as cultivating a culture of art appreciation/collection.

We should also concentrate on our traditional strengths of murals and graffiti art and particularly with Hollywood talent, video art as well as any other new art around the technological bend.

I think it's great that Eli Broad has decided to house his collection in L.A. Sure, it'd be nice if it was all consolidated at LACMA but I don't care much if it's distributed over multiple museums so long as it contributes to L.A.'s overall artistic portfolio. The fact that DTLA didn't have major museums two decades ago, but will now have three contemporary art venues as well as a thriving artists and gallery community is something to cheer about.

I do agree that I wish Broad had used a local architecture firm for his building. I really like Thom Mayne's Caltrans District 7 building on 1st--I think it looks more like a malevolent contemporary art museum or school rather than a government structure.

Does anyone know what is the fate of Dennis Hopper's collection? I read that he had marital dischord which doesn't bode well but I also know there is a retrospective (Dennis Hopper Double Standard) running now at the Geffen (Temporary) Contemporary which might be a hopeful sign.

Cheech Marin is supposed to have a world-class collection of Chicano art. I hope it eventually makes it to a public L.A. venue (The "Up in Smoke Pavilion" at LACMA?) instead of being auctioned off.

Any other potential L.A. collections?

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 08-25-2010 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Forgotten thought
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles