Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:03 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

If you grew up in Brooklyn then Pasedena will have a small town atmosphere to you. Although it has grown in the last 10-15 years (what SoCal city hasn't), it is still quaint and a bit more laid back. Pros; smack between the mountains and the beaches 45 minutes in either direction and you're there. Hollyweird, Universal City, The Hills, great shopping and restaurants. Cons; Traffic, and Traffic and then theres the Traffic. The Rose Bowl OMG what a circus. Anywhere near the parade route or the bowl itself and you'll be locked in that week.

Cheers

PS: I had studio clients that live there and I always enjoyed being in that town. I also have my right coast family who live in Brooklyn and Jones Beach and I wouldn't trade the left coast for the right, ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 02:56 PM

425 posts, read 958,674 times
Well I'm a NY born & raised and have spent all 33 years of my life here & have decided it's a time for a change. I have narrowed it down to San Deigo or Los Angeles. I like the laid back vibe or SD, but I also like to not NEED a car, and downtown LA seems like it would be better suited, either way SoCal is the destination.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:20 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
Well I'm a NY born & raised and have spent all 33 years of my life here & have decided it's a time for a change. I have narrowed it down to San Deigo or Los Angeles. I like the laid back vibe or SD, but I also like to not NEED a car, and downtown LA seems like it would be better suited, either way SoCal is the destination.
Good luck! Hope you like it wherever you end up.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:24 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
New York Metro includes commuter suburbs 1hr+ in all direction, including CT, NJ, Long Island, Westchester Cty. When you live in the region, it is commonly referred to the "Tri-state area", as the majority of New Jersey and Connecticut are part of suburban New York city. Los Angeles metro, even if you included ventura, orange counties and inland empire, is not nearly as large. While you may be technically correct that LA County is bigger than New York City, in practical terms, New York is a much larger urbanized area by millions of residents.

California is the more populous state, but the northeast is not as easily defined by state boundaries as the effective urban footprint of many cities like NY and Philadelphia span multiple state boundaries. Los Angeles, due to it's low-density suburban housing stock, sprawls over a much larger physical area, but New York metro has many more residents. Remember the northeastern US has about the same population as California, despite a much smaller amount of land. This is because the Eastern US is much more densely settled.

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island, NY-NJ-PA MSA - 19,069,796
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana, CA MSA - 12,874,797
Wiki?

You could spew or skew any numbers that you want to but this is NYC v. LAC. LA is bigger. California is bigger than New York. California is bigger than NY, NJ, CT, and PA combined. lol You're using 4 or 5 states just to make up any kind of argument but it's just not happening. CA is the undisputed big dog in this argument. The end. Otherwise why not connnect LA all the way up to Seattle and say it's all one city? lol

Old 12-31-2010, 08:40 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times
What did you end up doing?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:29 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,386,687 times
I had an opportunity to visit New York City this past year but 4 days isn't long enough to get anything but a superficial feel. New York is huge; there is nothing like it in California. Los Angeles is a large city but in a different way than NYC. I would really like to live in New York some day just so I could really experience life in a heavily concentrated urban region plus all the history. Having distinct seasons that includes snow would also be fun.

I think the OP is lucky to have the choice of living in either Los Angeles or New York. I am biased toward Pasadena but it is so different than anything I saw in the metro New York area. Maybe cities out on Long Island would be similar to Pasadena.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,653 times
I lived in California as a child, but then my family moved away to the east coast where I spent most of my adult life. I returned to San Diego on business recently, and was reminded of the stark difference in People... Scenery... and Lifestyle... And with that, I made the decision that I will soon return to Southern California for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles