Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Depends on the day. During weeknights in the fall, I really like to change into something comfortable and watch college football or the NFL on Monday nights. Any other time of year, I usually prepare dinner and/or maybe run/jog for 5-6 miles, pay bills, go online, answer e-mails, catch up with friends or family.

Due to traffic, I don't like to venture too far away from home. I try to keep all activities within a 4 mile radius. On the weekends I am more adventurous--I like to get away I go to the beach and maybe visit friends or take off to places like Vegas, Palm Springs, San Diego, Santa Barbara.

Now that is what I'm talking about....Roadtripping...Thats what I love about LA...so centrally located to other places....I'll take a weekend trip to Vegas/Palm Springs/Diego/ or Santa Barbara any day.....as opposed to the norm here in NC which is Myrtle Beach or boring Asheville/ or the NC mountains...Those places just dont do it for me...Yuck!!!

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 07-23-2010 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 03:09 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,276,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Now that is what I'm talking about....Roadtripping...Thats what I love about LA...so centrally located to other places....I'll take a weekend trip to Vegas/Palm Springs/Diego/ or Santa Barbara any day.....as opposed to the norm here in NC which is Myrtle Beach or boring Asheville/ or the NC mountains...Those places just dont do it for me...Yuck!!!

The positive for NC is you probably don't have as much traffic or crime. That's life in the big city I guess. I can find fun and friends, wherever and whenever--if I want to. The upside is there is lots to do, see, new people to meet, and the energy is nice.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I am in a differant age group and am very married. Still I will offer my day's activities that would relate somewhat to the 30ish single lifestyle.

I live in Oxnard and work in Ventura. The distance between my home and work is just under 7 miles. I live on the coast and have a very active lifestyle. We surf, sail, ride bikes, run to the beach, run on the beach, head up to the hills for a hike, jump in the pool for a swim. Just depends on how we feel or what we have planned for the day. Also time of year is a factor. In the summer time when the sun is out till 8pm we are out all the time.

This is a diverse area with people from all over the world. 200 plus languages are spoken in LA with people from all over the world. Nothing is average here. Hard to tell you what the average person will be doing after work.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:56 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
It's not sarcasm. People in Los Angeles are just like people elsewhere.

Think about it. You get up, have coffee, go online, teeth, shower, dress, make your lunch, grab a bagel, get in your car, deal with a commute, get to work, deal with work, leave work, deal with traffic, go to the doctor or car repair or DMV or grocery store, go to the gym, stop at a fast food joint or get home and throw a dinner together, look for a lost remote, call about some bills, wait on hold, write a birthday card to Aunt Lorraine, post on City-Data, open your new package from UPS, answer a phone call, feed the dog, do a load of laundry, watch TV, take a shower, brush your teeth, call your snuggly-wuggly on the phone, go to sleep. Repeat.

A day in LA isn't much different than a day in Milwaukee. Just better weather and higher housing prices and more traffic.
Notice nowhere in your post does it say 'shovel and de-ice my car then drive 20mph on black ice while semi's nearly run me over as I try to unthaw my fingertips' That's the advantage of living in L.A. i suppose.
That's a routine I hope to finally be rid of once moved out of the rustbelt.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:35 AM

329 posts, read 1,047,144 times
there is nary a word about masturbation in anybody's routines, so i'm starting to doubt the realness of any of these posts.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM

244 posts, read 629,224 times
Charles is right on every point, I doubt it's different from any other cities (or probably worse) but I think the thread maker was asking more about

- Do people go to the beach after work?
- Have a drink at a local bar
- Go relax either on the beach or look at a city view
- Or whatever activity LA has to offer.

I am in Montreal, Canada so im not placed to reply this topic, but my guess is depending on the area you live. I am planning to move to West Hollywood or Santa Monica in mid 2011. If I end-up in Santa Monica, I will surely head to the beach to relax after school or work, or go look at city views or whatever my area has to offer.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:02 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am in a differant age group and am very married. Still I will offer my day's activities that would relate somewhat to the 30ish single lifestyle.

I live in Oxnard and work in Ventura. The distance between my home and work is just under 7 miles. I live on the coast and have a very active lifestyle. We surf, sail, ride bikes, run to the beach, run on the beach, head up to the hills for a hike, jump in the pool for a swim. Just depends on how we feel or what we have planned for the day. Also time of year is a factor. In the summer time when the sun is out till 8pm we are out all the time.

This is a diverse area with people from all over the world. 200 plus languages are spoken in LA with people from all over the world. Nothing is average here. Hard to tell you what the average person will be doing after work.
I think you hit the nail on the head. How close one works to home determines the rest of the evening's activities and the energy level of the person doing them.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:10 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
Notice nowhere in your post does it say 'shovel and de-ice my car then drive 20mph on black ice while semi's nearly run me over as I try to unthaw my fingertips' That's the advantage of living in L.A. i suppose.
That's a routine I hope to finally be rid of once moved out of the rustbelt.
You'd be lucky to get up to 20mph half the time in LA traffic and that's a year-round condition here.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
WestCoastBabe: Not sure how long it's been since you lived here but once a month after work I always find time for the Downtown Artwalk on Spring and Main in downtown LA.

See prior thread I posted. A very fun/interesting way to spend a Thursday evening after work:

Downtown LA's Artwalk: Yes, THIS is Downtown LA

Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM

427 posts, read 1,093,050 times
If I was out there, I'd be riding my scooter a lot. It would be so fun to explore that endless grid of roads on my scooter. It's a 150 too so it's fast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles