Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,328,510 times

Advertisements

[mod cut: personal attack]

But I still do not entirely understand how building a new stadium would be cheaper than renovating the Coliseum. It does seem sort of a waste of space since only USC uses the Coliseum. Also the closest train station to Staples is at 7th street\ Figueroa on the Purple line [the train that will eventually go out to Santa Monica] and I don't see MTA putting in a special train to a new stadium that will be at least a block away from Staples center.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 12-12-2010 at 05:10 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 02:22 AM

Location: I live in the Seattle neighborhood of Belltown. I live in a nice building called Mosler Lofts.
174 posts, read 588,277 times
Los Angeles needs to get a team fast! LA not having a team is ridiculous! I would love to see the Raiders return to LA. Nothing would be cooler than the Los Angeles Raiders. The Chargers could move to LA. However, I can definitely see the Jacksonville Jaguars moving to LA. Anyway you slice it I just hope that LA gets an NFL team sooner than later. It's been long enough and people who don't think LA should have a team are a bunch or morons.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:38 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,808,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Magic's a great guy but please, no new stadium in DTLA. The beautiful Coliseum is within walking distance of the proposed site. How many cities have two 80,000+ seat stadiums that close together? How many of these massive venues do we need? As it is, the City wants to put the kibosh on Electric Daisy type events, which are the few that can use the space. Plus, they want to tear down part (all?) of the West Hall of the Convention Center. No more demolishing of historic structures. The West Hall is no beauty but I prefer it to the South. That area of downtown is too valuable to waste on something that gets minimal usage. Use the money for upgrades to the Coliseum and public transportation access.

I have no problems with building in the City of Industry as long as no public money will be spent.

Regarding a team name, I agree with those who mentioned Santanas or Satanás winds.

Mine is probably a minority opinion but I would trade away the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Galaxy, Sparks, Kings, Bruins and Trojans for a Formula One race in Los Angeles. Much higher international cachet and excitement. Anyone else with me?
NO!

Old 12-13-2010, 11:30 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,137,209 times
Dean Spanos, through a mutual friend, told Scott (of the Scott and BR show) that he is still wants to stay in SD and there is no deal with AEG.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Quote:
Mine is probably a minority opinion
You can safely drop the modifier "probably".

Quote:
I would trade away the Lakers, Dodgers, Clippers, Galaxy, Sparks, Kings, Bruins and Trojans for a Formula One race in Los Angeles. Much higher international cachet and excitement.
International cachet is highly overrated.

Quote:
Anyone else with me?
Does "F*** NO!" adequately answer your question?

Old 12-13-2010, 12:01 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,137,209 times
Raider fans are like the turd that sticks to the bowl.

Bronco fans are like Uncle Rico

And Chiefs fans are like Murlocks. They pose no real threat, but they are annoying and bug you at the most inopportune times with gibberish. They do gang up when they see another is in need of help, but are easily dispersed.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,695,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

International cachet is highly overrated.

The Long Beach Grand Prix was the marquee event for CART and is a huge race locally for IRL(now that CART is gone). It was a Formula One race formerly, but Formula One is about as corrupt a sporting organization as they come, so screw them.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:32 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,328,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
Dean Spanos, through a mutual friend, told Scott (of the Scott and BR show) that he is still wants to stay in SD and there is no deal with AEG.
Boy, it's going to be a huge crush when the Chargers leave San Diego; are you preparing yourself? Maybe you can catch some Pop Warner games in the local park!

Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,984,950 times
AEG released renderings from three architecture firms.

Downtown Los Angeles Stadium | The LA Event Center

Gensler

HNTB

HKS

I like the Gensler renderings the most.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,019,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
AEG released renderings from three architecture firms.

Downtown Los Angeles Stadium | The LA Event Center

I like the Gensler renderings the most.
i'm also a fan of the gensler renderings. the exterior kind of reminds me of some of the modern soccer stadiums in europe, while the interior looks like it'll be bright and airy with at least a partial view of the downtown skyline. if this design is picked (assuming the downtown stadium comes to fruition), i hope the final product closely resembles this rendering; it's not uncommon for buildings to look very different from the initial sketches due to money or time constraints.

for those interested, here's an article by blogdowntown.com about the three stadium designs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles