Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:55 PM

245 posts, read 709,502 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm curious if anyone has come across those street side grilled chicken on their daily commutes. I had those twice and it was somewhere in Panorama City and around downtown, but those were years ago. Unfortunately, places like this don't pop out in google maps and the only way I was able to track them down is by the smoke it makes. I live in West Hollywood, but anywhere within a 20 mile radius is drivable for such juicy chicken Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 11:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times
Are you referring to the Taco trucks or the push carts? The only place I have seen chicken being cooked out in the open was in Skid Row and I don't think I would eat that. Maybe you are referring to those bbq stands that some people set up in front of their house, yes? If you want excellent chicken near West Hollywood I can highly recommend Old Thai BBQ on 3rd street between Western & Vermont; they have other locations also. It has to be some of the best BBQ chicken I have ever eaten.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM

I think they are push carts from what my memory tells me. It might even be a temporary stand that they sell periodically. Sorry I'm not able to give you full details, but it's been a while back and now I'm craving it. I guess anything of the sort will do as long as they grill their own. I'm willing to go around tasting every one of them. I don't know where to start right now since I can't seem to locate any.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 AM

It seems strange that the taste of chicken cooked on push carts would be any better taste than what you can find indoors. There are hundreds of great chicken restaurants [El Pollo Loco, Boston Markets, Kentucky Fried, etc]. Or the taco trucks. But to be entirely honest, I have rarely seen push carts selling chicken or anything except in downtown\ skid row area.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:49 AM

I guess I got used to eating at the more popular indoor places that now I'm looking for something different. It's probably also a mentality for something exotic, but what can I do but give in to these urges? I wonder how those push carts work? Do they move from location to location on a daily basis or they settle semi permanently on some street corner? Do you know which area I should expect to find these stands in downtown?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
I guess I got used to eating at the more popular indoor places that now I'm looking for something different. It's probably also a mentality for something exotic, but what can I do but give in to these urges? I wonder how those push carts work? Do they move from location to location on a daily basis or they settle semi permanently on some street corner? Do you know which area I should expect to find these stands in downtown?
In the Skid Row section of downtown you will see almost anything. People selling individual cigarettes or batteries for example . There are lots of food carts selling anything from fruit, ice cream to chicken, tacos. They move up and down the street or just park on a corner. I don't think these food carts are licensed by the health department and am sort of surprised that they are even allowed to cook right out in the open. But they are popular and have plenty of customers.

Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM

^ Thank you. I'll take a drive in that area and see what I can find \(^_^)/

Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,427,408 times
Cha Cha Chicken

I go by this place just about every day and if it weren't for the hassle of parking I'd stop and check it out.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,686,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
Maybe try Charo Chicken. Great local chain, definitely different than what you get at places like El Pollo Loco. Make sure you get the garlic lemon butter on the chicken

Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 AM

Thank you, I really appreciate the advice. I'll definitely check out Cha Cha Chicken, Charos, and the fashion district areas in downtown. I welcome any other recommendations if there are anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles