Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:37 PM

8 posts, read 36,157 times

Advertisements

I recently had to take a trip to the Norwalk area, so I thought I'd save some money, and hassle, and take the Metro Green from LAX to Norwalk and rent a car in Norwalk.

I was convinced after talking to a lady on the flight out (that the green line was cool, but to stay away from the blue line). So I took the green line. I'm mid 20s, white (although I've been accused of looking somewhat hispanic or middle-eastern) with two bags of luggage, and I felt like a total fish out of water. Although I didn't get hassled or anything, the trip seemed totally uncomfortable at 1pm on a weekday. I couldn't imagine it at 1am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
i've never had an issue on any of LA's metro lines and i've been on all of them many times.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:50 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,225,005 times
The Green Line station at the 605 can be alittle grimy, but I didn't feel at all in danger. I'm in my 50's, Caucasian. The Metro is positively spotless when compared to other systems I've been on.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:28 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
I've never traveled on the Green line but the Blue line goes right through some very tough neighborhoods [Watts\ Compton] and I never experienced any problems. Same with the Red and Gold lines.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,506,607 times
Have taken the Gold Line from Pasadena to downtown LA and never had a problem.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 PM

787 posts, read 1,934,957 times
I agree with what most posters here have said. I've been on all the lines at one time or another. Never had any problem. They are very safe in my experience.

I'm anglo (white) ( and male) and have even taken the Blue Line to the 103rd Street station in Watts and walked to the Watts Towers (in the day mind you). Absolutely no problem. Granted I am an adventurous type but if you just stick to the stations & trains you will be safe.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:55 PM

4 posts, read 27,079 times
A few years ago I decided to take the metro from Redondo Beach to Staples Center, and let me tell you it was an adventure. The trip from Redondo Beach to Staples starts out mellow enough on the Green Line. Then you get to Rosa Parks Station in Watts. It was fine during the day time, but changing trains there after the game was sketchy. We're talking shady characters, bonfires in trash cans, etc. As you head back toward Redondo Beach the shady characters all get off the train as you pass through South Central. Obviously, nobody from Redondo Beach rides the train because by the time we arrived at the station the train was empty. We now refer to the Metro as the "welfare train."

Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 AM

938 posts, read 4,080,591 times
You'll be fine. The dirtiest station, IMO, is Westlake, and the sketchiest is the Wilmington in Watts, but alas, they're light years ahead of station in comparable East Coast nabes; nothing's ever happened to me, or anybody that I know who uses Metro.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,319,435 times
It's a bit ironic that some people automatically think that traveling through or walking in poor neighborhoods means they will be robbed. Fear of others who happen to be a different color is unfortunate. When is the last time anyone heard of someone being robbed or beat up on any train in LA? Or tourists being chased out of Watts?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:04 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
It's a bit ironic that some people automatically think that traveling through or walking in poor neighborhoods means they will be robbed. Fear of others who happen to be a different color is unfortunate. When is the last time anyone heard of someone being robbed or beat up on any train in LA? Or tourists being chased out of Watts?
funny you mention that. the only confrontation i've ever seen on any of the lines (that didn't involve the sheriffs) was at the pico station by the staples center, which is generally a pretty nice area (especially with all the new high rises in the area). it was pretty early too, just before an event that i was headed to in the arena. anyways, some cocky white guy made a comment about one of the black guys on the train and the black guy went crazy. there were no punches thrown, but the white guy sure heard it from the black guy. good thing no one was strapped, could have been messy!

besides that, you've got your typical crazies that talk to themselves, punk kids that are loud and obnoxious, as well as the smelly homeless types. you'll find these people on any metro line anywhere in the US, not just LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles