Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 30,595 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from NJ to the LA area this coming January. We've been looking for apartments (1BR) in various areas throughout LA. So far, our favorites have been Redondo Beach and Marina Del Ray. What I'm really looking for is consistent weather in the 70s year round. Sure, 60s for the daily lows are fine, but I want to stay above that. I want to stay away from wind so I guess Redondo Beach/MDR are no good since they're so close to the water (or am I wrong?). I love the heat and am moving mostly because of it!

Also, we are in our early-mid 20s and would love to find areas where like-aged people are concentrated. So...

1) Hot, Hot, Hot 70+!
2) Nice amenities, luxurious look/feel (I know its out of my budget at the time, but people have told me moving in January, I can expect a little cheaper prices)
3) Like-Aged People (low-mid 20s)

Where should I be looking? My monthly budget for rent is $1500-1600ish. We've found some nice luxury apartments in the high end of that range throughout, so I'm hoping you guys can please point me in the right direction for locations to target based on year round sunshine and HEAT! Thanks!!!

Last edited by pokepsw; 07-30-2010 at 10:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,128,684 times
i live near the coast and winter highs are in the high 50s and summer highs are in the mid 70s. however, much of the early summer experiences "june gloom" where the high is in the mid 60s and the sun never breaks through the clouds. as for wind, except for the early morning hours, there is almost always wind along coast. by the later afternoon, it's usually blowing around 10mph which creates somewhat chilly temps that may require some sort of sweater to keep warm. if you're looking for sunshine and heat, the beach may not be the place for you.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at almanacs and Redondo Beach seems to get avg. lows in the 40s -is this incorrect? I'd assume beach towns could get that low in the winter months, which is a huge turn-off for us.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 AM

787 posts, read 1,937,797 times
You should change your expectations regarding So.Calif.'s climate. This is NOT Hawaii or South Florida.

This is a "Mediterranean" climate. A very pleasant climate zone but perhaps not quite what you are expecting. Essentially, this climate exists in only a few spots on earth:
Coastal Calif., west coast of Australia, west coast of So. America (mostly Chile), and around the Mediterranean Sea in Europe and No. Afirca.

What you CAN expect: warm, dry summers. Mild, wet winters. There are ONLY about 4 or 5 months in the year when the LOWS are as "HIGH" as the 60's. The dry climate = low humidty and very pleasant weather but it also means once the sun goes down the temp. DROPS. So the NIGHTS are quite COOLER than you might be expecting.

Here's a link showing "Downtown LA's" daily highs and lows.
Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The coastal areas are more temperate but even in summer the coast can be COOL during the day. This summer we've seen the HIGHS at the beach NOT go past 70 degrees and stay in the 60's on some days. Yes, the HIGH in the 60's. This has been a cool summer but it does happen. The "cool" water currents from Alaska push down the west coast and are like a natural air-conditioner on the coast.

Here's a look at Downtown LA's Climate - Avg Daily HIGHS / LOWS:
Jan. 68 - 48
Feb. 69 - 50
Mar. 69 - 51
Apr. 73 - 54
May 75 - 58
June 79 - 61
July 84 - 64
Aug. 85 - 66
Sept 83 - 65
Oct. 79 - 60
Nov. 73 - 52
Dec. 68 - 48

Very dry and sunny from about May to Oct/Nov. Rainy season is Nov - April. The coast also gets a lot of fog.

For my money the "BEST" climate in the LA area is roughly from Westwood to Beverly Hills to Hancock Park. Less fog than the coast and more warm, sunny days than the coast. Yet NOT has hot as the inland vallleys.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 24,457 times
I would second the response from BRinSM. I moved to California this past January, and I have to say I have been surprised by how cold and gloomy the weather near the coast has been so far. I live in the California desert (Palm Springs, where it is really hot) and the few times I have been to the beach areas from Santa Barbara to Dana Point I have been cold, to the point of "freezing my buns off" sometimes. If you really want to be in consistent 70+ weather, look further inland.

Old 07-30-2010, 10:57 AM

SoCal35 - Thanks for the valuable post! Thats great to know. I know its not like Hawaii/S. Fla, but I definitely wasn't expecting 40s (although 48 is not too bad).

I'm going to definitely take your advice and search for BH/Hancock Park!

Old 07-30-2010, 10:58 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,524,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokepsw View Post
SoCal35 - Thanks for the valuable post! Thats great to know. I know its not like Hawaii/S. Fla, but I definitely wasn't expecting 40s (although 48 is not too bad).

I'm going to definitely take your advice and search for BH/Hancock Park!
Where be is your job?

Old 07-30-2010, 10:59 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,128,684 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking at almanacs and Redondo Beach seems to get avg. lows in the 40s -is this incorrect? I'd assume beach towns could get that low in the winter months, which is a huge turn-off for us.
high 40s is pretty normal in the wee morning hours during the months of jan/feb just about anywhere you go in the LA area. many inland areas will get frost on their lawns during that time of year. however, it usually will warm up to the mid 60s by lunch time, so the early morning chill is no big deal.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,517,151 times
Where in NJ are you coming from?

Old 07-30-2010, 11:01 AM

787 posts, read 1,937,797 times
Quote:
According to this link (wikipedia which uses the Ntl Weather Service for their source) for Redondo Beach the avg. highs/lows for Redondo Beach are as follows:

Mo. High / Low

Jan. 66 - 46
Feb. 67- 48
Mar. 68 - 49
Apr. 71 - 51
May 72 - 55
June 75 - 58
July 78 - 61
Aug 79 - 62
Sept 78 - 61
Oct 75 - 57
Nov. 71 - 50
Dec. 67 - 46

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redondo...fornia#Climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles