U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
116 posts, read 262,262 times
Reputation: 92
Default What do I do about someone living in an RV on my street?

A gentleman has been living down the street from me in small RV (probably 20 ft long) for several months now. The RV is parked under a magnolia tree. The tires are deflated. There is a white sheet pinned across the windshield so no one can see in. Sometimes there is trash stacked up against the fender. Broken crates, plastic, that kind of thing. But every week the trash disappears, and for the most part the area stays clean. He has decorated the tree outside his living quarters, so he takes some pride in his place of habitation and, from the looks of it, does not intend to leave any time soon.

He hasn't caused any problems at all as far as I can tell. He is in his mid to late twenties. I believe he is related to someone who lives in the house he has parked outside of. He generally stays in his trailer. Sometimes he rides his bike around the block a few times. Occasionally he has some friends over, men who look very much like him, and they stand around and shoot the breeze in the doorway of the trailer.

I am conflicted by this situation. I have a hunch it's not legal to live in an RV parked on a public street. That said, he's been living there some time and there haven't really been any issues, other than it being somewhat unseemly from a homeowners' perspective. Do I report this to LAPD? Do I live and let live?

[By the way, this is happening in the City of LA -- but not Venice -- so there are no sociopolitical overtones here. There is one other person living in a trailer parked on the street within a square mile, but this person's hillside house apparently was red-tagged, and he has a permit displayed which allows him to park the trailer in front of his driveway. There is another family living in a trailer nearby, but they park on their property.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:44 AM
 
Location: LA
6,096 posts, read 10,991,353 times
Reputation: 2439
that's a tough one, but if there are no problems arising from the situation, i'd say live and let live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
for several months now.
tires are deflated.
trash stacked up against the fender.
Broken crates, plastic, that kind of thing.
does not intend to leave any time soon.

men.. stand around and shoot the breeze in the doorway of the trailer.

somewhat unseemly from a homeowners' perspective.

Do I report this to LAPD? Do I live and let live?
I would call the authorities. This guy is disgusting and inconsiderate. It isn't "Live and Let Live"; It's "Live and Screw My Neighborhood's Appearance and Property Values".

Bust him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:50 AM
 
5,004 posts, read 4,896,962 times
Reputation: 5628
I would start with the City first. You could find the City's website that has jurisdiction over your neighborhood and get the number for Code Enforcement. That department might go out themselves and ticket him or maybe they'll have you call a non-emergency number for the police department in your area.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: colorado
2,791 posts, read 2,291,921 times
Reputation: 3214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
A gentleman has been living down the street from me in small RV (probably 20 ft long) for several months now. The RV is parked under a magnolia tree. The tires are deflated. There is a white sheet pinned across the windshield so no one can see in. Sometimes there is trash stacked up against the fender. Broken crates, plastic, that kind of thing. But every week the trash disappears, and for the most part the area stays clean. He has decorated the tree outside his living quarters, so he takes some pride in his place of habitation and, from the looks of it, does not intend to leave any time soon.

He hasn't caused any problems at all as far as I can tell. He is in his mid to late twenties. I believe he is related to someone who lives in the house he has parked outside of. He generally stays in his trailer. Sometimes he rides his bike around the block a few times. Occasionally he has some friends over, men who look very much like him, and they stand around and shoot the breeze in the doorway of the trailer.

I am conflicted by this situation. I have a hunch it's not legal to live in an RV parked on a public street. That said, he's been living there some time and there haven't really been any issues, other than it being somewhat unseemly from a homeowners' perspective. Do I report this to LAPD? Do I live and let live?

[By the way, this is happening in the City of LA -- but not Venice -- so there are no sociopolitical overtones here. There is one other person living in a trailer parked on the street within a square mile, but this person's hillside house apparently was red-tagged, and he has a permit displayed which allows him to park the trailer in front of his driveway. There is another family living in a trailer nearby, but they park on their property.]

Why not buy some soda pop and take it to him and welcome him to the neighborhood.
Maybe an extra blanket cuz Im sure he gets cold in the winter..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
116 posts, read 262,262 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Why not buy some soda pop and take it to him and welcome him to the neighborhood.
Maybe an extra blanket cuz Im sure he gets cold in the winter..

Good idea. We'll throw him a little party.

His RV is visible from at least a dozen houses that are closer to him than I am. I wonder if I'm the only one who is bothered by this, or if the whole neighborhood is trapped by the inertia of groupthink, where no one will make the first move.

Also, I am relatively new to the neighborhood, so I don't know if he has been coming and going for years or something like that, and I haven't discussed it with any neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
Good idea. We'll throw him a little party.

His RV is visible from at least a dozen houses that are closer to him than I am. I wonder if I'm the only one who is bothered by this, or if the whole neighborhood is trapped by the inertia of groupthink, where no one will make the first move.

Also, I am relatively new to the neighborhood, so I don't know if he has been coming and going for years or something like that, and I haven't discussed it with any neighbors.
What intersection is this near?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Houston Area, TX
3,077 posts, read 2,041,426 times
Reputation: 8330
What neighborhood is this in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:41 PM
 
Location: West LA
2,318 posts, read 4,704,367 times
Reputation: 1041
Is there weekly street sweeping on this street? If so, he's got a ticket for every week he has been out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Houston Area, TX
3,077 posts, read 2,041,426 times
Reputation: 8330
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
Is there weekly street sweeping on this street? If so, he's got a ticket for every week he has been out there.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I remember having to move my car to the other side of the street and back again once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top