Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 PM

209 posts, read 720,018 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Well...it's official after many years of wanting to move to L.A. my 22 year old daughter is taking the plunge. She will be moving from Portland Oregon. She's been to L.A. many of times, but has never lived there. She's moving there to further her career in music/singing. She has some friends there and has a few connections which helps a bit. I'm originally from Orange County and always avoided L.A.(don't mean to offend anyone),and it concerns me a bit having my daughter there, but it is what it is and she has to give it a try. So..my question is: How bad is it down there now? and how hard will it be for a young lady to make it there?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions ,
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 06:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,140,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Hello All,

Well...it's official after many years of wanting to move to L.A. my 22 year old daughter is taking the plunge. She will be moving from Portland Oregon. She's been to L.A. many of times, but has never lived there. She's moving there to further her career in music/singing. She has some friends there and has a few connections which helps a bit. I'm originally from Orange County and always avoided L.A.(don't mean to offend anyone),and it concerns me a bit having my daughter there, but it is what it is and she has to give it a try. So..my question is: How bad is it down there now? and how hard will it be for a young lady to make it there?

I appreciate your thoughts and opinions ,
Kelly
how bad is it? Do you mean like crime, etc? It isn't nearly as busy as many metro cities, so, if she watches what she does, and doesn't take undue chances she will be fine..

Now, the second question: how hard will it be for a young lady to make it? Much harder than you or she can imagine. Does she have either a job or thousands of $$s? Jobs are hard to find and making it as an entertainer is one shot in maybe a million. This doesn't mean she shouldn't try, it does mean she had better prepare herself. Even friends, if they are in the business can turn to not so friendly when the competition gets stiff.

Nita

Old 07-30-2010, 06:08 PM

425 posts, read 1,949,509 times
What's wrong with Los Angeles? Are you afraid you're going to catch a disease by entering the city? Do you honestly think that anyone who enters it is going to get mugged, shot, and their car stolen as if it is the mandatory Los Angeles Welcoming Party? So far, I have not been mugged, shot, and I still have my car. Maybe if you actually bothered going to it you would find that it has many good things to offer and that it's not all a dump.

Los Angeles has its fair share of problems, but so does every city and town. She will more than likely be fine so long as she keeps focused on her goal/dream, avoids drugs, and avoids living in areas known to be unsafe.

As for making it here, it won't be easy. I would recommend roommates and she should hit the ground running if she doesn't have some kind of work lined up. Also, she shouldn't hold her breath on making it in the industry over night, but she shouldn't let that deter her, either. I'm sure she knows it's not going to be easy, but I do hope she's prepared for it and I hope she avoids weasels.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,595,028 times
Since you've been away from the Southland so long, you'd be happy to hear that crime rates are the lowest they've ever been since the 1950's!! I'm sure back in the day when you were here we were dealing with the crack cocaine epidemic and associated violent crime by street gangs. Plus we had all the crazy psycho killers like Manson & the Night Stalker. and everyone (even ppl on the westside) had bars on their windows! Even in these tough economic times when many ppl are out of work & desperate we don't seem to be seeing any significant uptick in burglaries/robberies or homicides.

I'd definitely suggest that your daughter find a roomie (that she knows already, not some creep off of myspace) to share the rent, and certainly she should have at least 6 months of living expenses to cover her since temp jobs are fleeting & can be difficult to come by right now.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,879,653 times
You need to be more specific. What area will your daughter be living in, for example. Will she be waiting tables while she is auditioning? Does she have a financial cushion for a while? Are you asking about safety? I think there are many safe areas in So-Cal...

Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM

nmnita,

Thanks for your response. My daughter just got a job in North Hollywood in a hair salon. It's a pretty darn good job and she was lucky to of gotten it. She's a pretty tough cookie, and knows it will be hard, but wants to give it a shot anyway. She has a friend thats already been living there, that she will be sharing an apartment with. She was down there this last week, went to 6 job interviews and of course landed a job. She seemed to have no trouble getting around the city. She doesn't seem too concerned about all the things I'm concerned about, but she's young and very determined. I'm the one worried about the crime,traffic,crazy drivers,creeps in the music industry, and friends that arn't really friends etc.

It's a doggy dog world in L.A. and yes it's like winning the lottery to even get a second look in the entertainment industry, this she knows full well. She's been turned away many times already and still keeps pushing forward. Now she's in the big leagues and it will be interesting to see how it all turns out. I was just wondering just how much worse it was, as far as all the things I mentioned above, as it was many years ago when I was there. I do know one thing, her going from rainy Portland to a sunny 70 degree climate will be one positive. Thanks for listening and your ideas. I'm just looking for a little reassurance I guess . Thanks again. Kelly

Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 PM

Hi again everyone,

Your responses are awsome! Thank you! and Ladoll you sound like my daughter lol. She tells me "Mom don't worry, I promise you won't lose your soul if you enter L.A." lol. I was born and raised in Orange County and have been to Los Angeles many times in my life. Some of my best childhood memories werre times that I spent in L.A. It's one of the best cities in the world. It's just been a long time since I've been there and now my daughter moving there. She's a tough cookie and I think she will be fine, but I know how hard it will be, thats all. I'm actually the one that told her that it's time to go to L.A. That way you can say and know that you at least tried. I really appreciate your opinions and ideas. It helps to be reassured that she won't totally be eaten alive down there lol. Thanks again, Kelly

Old 07-30-2010, 06:44 PM

To answer some of your questions, My daughter will be sharing an apartment in North Hollywood area with a friend of hers, that has already been living down there.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 12,234 times
Hello to everybody!
I'm a french guy, living in paris. I've always wanted to live in LA, and actually France is not very interresting for me. So i wanted to go to LA, find a little job in a french restaurant close to the beach in areas like marina del rey or venice and spend few times in here! I wanted to have american opinions about a plan like that. Do you think that it's possible to find a job or like a friend of mine said to me california is full of unemployment?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:11 PM

8 posts, read 12,234 times
If you guys have contacts or anything that could help me to make my trip a success it would be very nice!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles