Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,535,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgarfield View Post
I have always wondered: SF has their Chinese Food, Seattle has their coffee, San Diego loves Mexican food, so on and so forth, but I have wondered- what food item defines Los Angeles? Or is it a bunch of them that they can't choose?
Hmm, if you're going to go by ethnic food, how about Korean? It's relatively recent (i.e. LA didn't grow up with the Koreans like SF>Chinese or SD>Mexican) but they've def. been making their influence on LA and no place has Korean food that compares...and the whole tart fro-yo craze that started in LA (at least on this side of the Pacific) was launched by Korean-American businesses. (Pinkberry & Red Mango USA) Don't forget the Korean taco trucks. I've also seen "LA Galbi" on menus not in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 12:52 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,817,682 times
If you haven't had a black pastrami on rye from Brent's Deli in Northridge/Westlake Village, you are missing out. It's rediculously good. I would say gourmet food trucks have really developed into an integral part of LA's food identity. Hamburger stands, french dips, and fish tacos also have a strong hold on this town. I don't think historically LA has been a foodie town, but that seems to be rapidly changing.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:16 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,627,645 times
LA has all types of wonderful cuisines. just about anything you would want. ethipoian, brazilian, vietnamese, oaxacan, lebanese, aremenian, korean, peruvian, italian. the list goes on and on. and you usually have an option of good ethiopian, or so-so ethiopian. good oaxacan or meh oaxacan.

also, i have to somewhat agree with folks. LA might be a place more known for food items and fads than anything else. pinks hotdog. the double double. the kogi taco. frozen yogurt. etc.

but this shouldnt detract from the many many wonderful neighborhoods that house culinary riches.

LA is a really great food place.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM

245 posts, read 709,886 times
^^ I agree. LA is known for the diversity of it's food. I also see LA embracing the recent wave of organic health foods. I guess we just want to look good and healthy for a day at the beach.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:30 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, 1942.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
I also see LA embracing the recent wave of organic health foods.
Embracing? Recent? L.A.'s been home to myriad health food restaurants, vegetarian food joints and juice bars since at least the thirties. Somewhere around here I have a picture of a health food restaurant/juice bar on Hollywood Blvd that was taken back in the 1940s.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
LA isn't really a "foodie" town
I could not disagree more, but to each their own.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:51 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, 1942.
Golly, I didn't even realize there was a "Little Tokyo" back that long ago. I always think of the Japanese area developing starting in the late 50s. Was it in the same area as I think of now?

Nita

Old 08-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Yep, been in the same area since the 1880s.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:07 PM

245 posts, read 709,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Embracing? Recent? L.A.'s been home to myriad health food restaurants, vegetarian food joints and juice bars since at least the thirties. Somewhere around here I have a picture of a health food restaurant/juice bar on Hollywood Blvd that was taken back in the 1940s.
Even better. Given the amount of time these food has been with us, can health food also be an LA thing? What I see recently is that LA has experienced a huge shift towards healthy eating. People are more conscious of transfats, glycemic indexes, and HDL/LDL. These are not things a lot of people think of a decade ago.

It's also not long ago that fast foods are competing for having healthier menu. Where I live, 3 health/organic/vegetarian restaurants just opened up in the last 2 years in 1/2 mile stretch of Santa Monica Blvd. Restaurants are being encouraged, if not forced, to list nutritional information on their menu. I think other cities are experiencing this as well, but for some reason I feel like LA is most affected by this healthy and environmental friendly movement. (Thanks to Hollywood? who knows)

People are always concerned about their health for ages so it's not surprising to have health stores in the early 1900s, but it's only until now when people have the tools and readily available information to take their health into their own hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles