Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,627,645 times

Advertisements

been there for generations. with a brief interuption during the internment period and now experiencing an identity crisis with the influx of koreans.

but its been around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Golly, I didn't even realize there was a "Little Tokyo" back that long ago. I always think of the Japanese area developing starting in the late 50s. Was it in the same area as I think of now?

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,535,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyThe2nd View Post
Even better. Given the amount of time these food has been with us, can health food also be an LA thing? What I see recently is that LA has experienced a huge shift towards healthy eating. People are more conscious of transfats, glycemic indexes, and HDL/LDL. These are not things a lot of people think of a decade ago.

It's also not long ago that fast foods are competing for having healthier menu. Where I live, 3 health/organic/vegetarian restaurants just opened up in the last 2 years in 1/2 mile stretch of Santa Monica Blvd. Restaurants are being encouraged, if not forced, to list nutritional information on their menu. I think other cities are experiencing this as well, but for some reason I feel like LA is most affected by this healthy and environmental friendly movement. (Thanks to Hollywood? who knows)

People are always concerned about their health for ages so it's not surprising to have health stores in the early 1900s, but it's only until now when people have the tools and readily available information to take their health into their own hands.
I can see that. LA is way ahead of the curve when it comes to this and it's not just the "new age" or vegetarian restaurants. (However, I couldn't disagree more on 'vegetarian' being synonomous for 'healthy' but that's an aside.) For one, I was amazed by the amount of Japanese restaurants in the LA area that had brown rice sushi...or gluten free soy sauce even. This is so difficult to find in the Bay Area.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
Cool Not a 'foodie town'....??

I rarely venture west of downtown but I can STILL find lots of varied, tasty places to eat. Auntie Em's in Eagle Rock has great breakfasts and a killer Cobb. The Good Girl Dinette (Highland Park) makes this curry pot pie ('Vietnamese Comfort Food' they say) that is incredible, not to mention the spring roll appetizers. There's a place called Gerlach's (not in L.A. proper- Pasadena) that has been at Glenarm and Fair Oaks for 20 years. They make incredible kabobs, hummus, salmon dinners, chicken wraps, etc. Haven't let me down yet.

And Ocean Seafood in Chinatown has the best sweet and sour soup I have ever had. Personally, I prefer the leaner pastrami at Canter's, but Langers is a fave of mine. My parents came here from Boston, taking with them a preference for thin, cheese pizza, well-done. And no one does it better than Follieros (Highland Park). I think Casa Bianca is overrated.

I've eaten in New Orleans (pre-disaster mode), and no city holds a candle to that place when it comes to fish, IMHO. I still think about the meals I ate there!

I know this is all totally subjective, but L.A. rarely let's me down when it comes to food.

Oh yeah, and Lozano Brothers market makes great subs (Lincoln Heights). Right around the corner from the Winery (another great place to eat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
Errrr... that would be NYC. Personally, I've never really had a good experience eating at a Jewish Deli in LA... but maybe I wasn't eating at the right ones? Oddly enough, the best lox I ever had in LA was from a place called "Nibblers" (I know. I was embarrassed to eat there. But it had great lox and fantastic pancakes!). Still not on par w/ NYC, though.

LA isn't really a "foodie" town, so it's really hard to say. I adore food, and I'm trying to think of what I've ever eaten in LA that was better than anywhere else. I had better Mexican in Austin. I've actually had some really good homeade ravioli in LA in two different establishments (even though LA isn't really known for its Italian). I had great Indian food at a place called "Gaylords" (on La Cienega) that's since been closed down.

You can forget about pizza. Not sure why LA feels the need to make their crust SWEET and their sauce tasteless...

I lost and maintained my weight in LA. Whenever I live in Boston (Italian!), Austin (cheese/Mexican!), or visit Chicago (ribs/pizza!) or NYC (bagels/pizza!)... I manage to gain weight. LA has a LOT of healthy options, too, which I like. (even though no one there apparently knows how to properly boil a lobster)

Old 08-03-2010, 10:45 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
I guess I just meant that you can get better food elsewhere (pizza in Boston & NYC, etc...). The vast variety of ethnic foods in LA, though, is pretty amazing.

I'm from Boston, too, and I'll have to check out that pizza place you mentioned.

I like Auntie Em's a lot. It's fun... the food is decent... the people are nice. But the food doesn't blow me away! (I didn't get the cobb salad, though) It's good, but I don't eat there and think "Oh. My. GOD!" or anything. (um, except for their cupcakes, which I DID think "Oh. My God." REALLY good)

Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Quote:
I guess I just meant that you can get better food elsewhere...
Until we finally get the personal matter transporters they've been promising us since Star Trek first aired, "here" is the hand we've been dealt and "elsewhere" is too f'ing far away, so we'll just have to resign ourselves to our fate.

Quote:
I'm from Boston, too, and I'll have to check out that pizza place you mentioned.
You know you won't like it, so why waste your time? People from back East never like the pizza out here.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,953,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
If you haven't had a black pastrami on rye from Brent's Deli in Northridge/Westlake Village, you are missing out. It's rediculously good. I would say gourmet food trucks have really developed into an integral part of LA's food identity. Hamburger stands, french dips, and fish tacos also have a strong hold on this town. I don't think historically LA has been a foodie town, but that seems to be rapidly changing.
"black pastrami on rye" ???

Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM

2,131 posts, read 4,896,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
"black pastrami on rye" ???
It's probably one of those things you have to grow up with to like it.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,953,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
It's probably one of those things you have to grow up with to like it.
But WHAT is it?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Until we finally get the personal matter transporters they've been promising us since Star Trek first aired, "here" is the hand we've been dealt and "elsewhere" is too f'ing far away, so we'll just have to resign ourselves to our fate.
Yes, but that's why I don't really consider Los Angeles a "foodie" town. There are certain places that I'm excited about visiting just for the food (well, and other stuff). LA is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You know you won't like it, so why waste your time? People from back East never like the pizza out here.
I still have to TRY, don't I?!

I once had GREAT pizza at a food festival, like, 10 years ago when I first moved to LA. I didn't write down who made it and I've been trying to find it ever since.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 PM

2,964 posts, read 5,429,778 times
Quote:
Yes, but that's why I don't really consider Los Angeles a "foodie" town. There are certain places that I'm excited about visiting just for the food (well, and other stuff). LA is not one of them.

I still have to TRY, don't I?!

I once had GREAT pizza at a food festival, like, 10 years ago when I first moved to LA. I didn't write down who made it and I've been trying to find it ever since.
Try the CHOW site for Los Angeles (I don't think the referral is a posting violation since that's dedicated entirely to food). "Foodie" refers street level safaris and I know people who've been here decades, like myself, who still have not gone everywhere. I think it's a matter of what you personally want and whether you find it worth pursuing; but I'd say others' testimony does, though, qualify L.A. as a "foodie" town. There are things that I know I can find that aren't easily available in other cities. Decent Korean is just one.

To the OP, I go back to the Hass avocado, literally native to the soil. Does anyone use anything but Hass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles