Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
But WHAT is it?
I'm going to take a guess: Pastrami on black rye?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,817,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
But WHAT is it?
It's basically a reuben, with the most divine pastrami of all time. It's your usual pastrami, I believe, but a little less lean. Best reuben I've had by a long shot. Brent's makes a great brisket dip sandwich as well. Had my rehearsal dinner at the one in Westlake Village and everyone seemed to really like the food.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,210,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asielen View Post
Some say LA has the best delis. (and I tend to agree)
Is Los Angeles the Best Jewish Deli Town? | Serious Eats
We love Juniors. Haven't been in some time though. As a kid we would go there maybe once a month.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:18 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,209,688 times
I need to stop reading this thread. I actually went out and got a pastrami sandwich today!

I've eaten maybe 2 or 3 pastrami sandwiches in my life, and I'm not even sure what it is!

I don't really care, either, 'cause it was delicious.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:40 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
Ah, I forgot all about Juniors! Once the Expo Line is up and running, I'm hopping the train over there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
We love Juniors. Haven't been in some time though. As a kid we would go there maybe once a month.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,206,455 times
I didn't read all the replies but a few things stick out to me as maybe not uniquely L.A., but certainly superior in L.A.

- street tacos
- French dip
- Prison food... wait, I mean the Pantry
- Anything from the Hat, my favorite being the Pastrami burger.

Some one mentioned Brent's in WLV. I used to work near there and never dined there. However, I must say the Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in Westlake has an excellent Reuben sandwich on marble rye and it's only about $8 or $9 I think.

I currently live in Dallas, land of beef. I find myself craving a good tri tip sandwich (T.O. meat locker) and some decent Carne Asada. Neither exist out here.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:55 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
Well, I've been calling them 'jailhouse peas' since I was a kid (Pantry), but the omelets are pretty amazing, especially with that salsa they give you. Oh yeah, and the buckwheat pancakes. That's about it for me, but I still make the trip when I get a craving.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:21 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,197,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bungle View Post
I didn't read all the replies but a few things stick out to me as maybe not uniquely L.A., but certainly superior in L.A.

- street tacos
- French dip
- Prison food... wait, I mean the Pantry
- Anything from the Hat, my favorite being the Pastrami burger.

Some one mentioned Brent's in WLV. I used to work near there and never dined there. However, I must say the Wolfgang Puck's restaurant in Westlake has an excellent Reuben sandwich on marble rye and it's only about $8 or $9 I think.

I currently live in Dallas, land of beef. I find myself craving a good tri tip sandwich (T.O. meat locker) and some decent Carne Asada. Neither exist out here.
wow, there are a lot of Mexican dishes we couldn't find or didn't like in Dallas but certainl we found plenty of Carne Asada.

Nita

Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Notice he said decent carne asada.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,206,455 times
They have "carne asada" here. They call it Fajita style or something. I don't know? I drove by a Mexican market the other day I need to check out. I tried a "traditional" hole in the wall Mexican place the other day and ordered some tacos. They were nothing like the tacos I'm used to. They were close, but completely lacked flavor which really amazed me. Not in a good way.

Carne Asada I've seen in Dallas, is what they call a thick slab of skirt steak at tex mex places. Not the thin type I'm referring to.

Fond memories of hanging out with friends, getting bored and deciding to buy like 20lbs of carne and calling all of our friends to come over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles