Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:50 PM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
This is a good point. I'm not foreign born, but I would also say that LA has the best of all of those cuisines. Especially from non-European countries -- but for European food I would probably say NY has it better. I would suppose there is plenty of both the western and "authentic" varieties for everyone (although I generally shy away from the word "authentic," because tastes change between generations anyway and influences criss-cross between countries), because as you said, LA is way too large not to have it all.
I'd say Chicago is probably the best for European food. Los Angeles just does not compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 11:21 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,226,514 times
Europe is an awfully big, diverse place. What type of European food? For what its worth, the kabobs I had in Istanbul were no better than the kabobs at Gerlachs, or Papa Cristos. I had Mediterranean food there as well (wrapped leaves, hummus, couscous) and it was good but no better than here.

And I've never been to France, but I had French food in New Orleans that was incredible. If Chicago beats that AND L.A., I'm impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
I'd say Chicago is probably the best for European food. Los Angeles just does not compare.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,137,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Europe is an awfully big, diverse place. What type of European food? For what its worth, the kabobs I had in Istanbul were no better than the kabobs at Gerlachs, or Papa Cristos. I had Mediterranean food there as well (wrapped leaves, hummus, couscous) and it was good but no better than here.

And I've never been to France, but I had French food in New Orleans that was incredible. If Chicago beats that AND L.A., I'm impressed.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,481,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Europe is an awfully big, diverse place. What type of European food? For what its worth, the kabobs I had in Istanbul were no better than the kabobs at Gerlachs, or Papa Cristos.
Be careful about comparing Papa Christos' kebabs to anything in Istanbul - Greeks and Turks don't exactly have the greatest history of good relations.

However, East Coast people have told me that Papa Christos meets Northeastern standards for Greek food, and is good enough to be on a par with Greek food in NYC. That's saying a lot.

Quote:
I had Mediterranean food there as well (wrapped leaves, hummus, couscous) and it was good but no better than here.
"Mediterranean" food, of course, is only from ONE part of the Mediterranean, the Middle East. A "Mediterranean" restaurant in L.A. doesn't serve Spanish or Italian food, or Moroccan food for that matter. The label is convenient given the realities of the Middle East and their having an effect on the diasporas in L.A. E.g. Israelis might object to going to a Lebanese or Palestinian restaurant that bills itself as such, and vice versa, but calling the food "Mediterranean" makes it acceptable to everyone from that part of the world.

Italian food isn't one of L.A.'s strengths, but there are good Italian places in L.A. (I actually found Chicago's Italian places to be unexpectedly disappointing, btw.)

Quote:
Chicago does have great restaurants, and would easily beat L.A. for Central and Eastern European food. However, that's not all of Europe. Chicago is a very different city from L.A. and both have their strengths and weaknesses. L.A. has the best North African restaurant in the entire US imo, Moun of Tunis. L.A.'s not only about Mexican and Asian cuisines, it does have a little of everything.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM

3,951 posts, read 7,166,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

Italian food isn't one of L.A.'s strengths,
That's for sure!lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles