Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,477,842 times

Advertisements

We are here in Manhattan Beach for about a week and a half. We check the daily forecast on the weather channel and they forecast sunny weather. So far, the first two days have been cloudy and foggy. Is this normal???
Also, it's really cool (high 60's). Not really swimming weather. Wondering if this is also normal.
Still agreat place and very relaxing but expected a little more sunshine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 11:09 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,879,227 times
It's a very unusual season. Unfortunately, the marine layer is hanging around much later in the summer than usual. Used to just be "June Gloom." Then we added "May Gray." Haven't yet heard the term coined for July or August as yet.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,596,962 times
During July it's pretty typical for areas right near the beach to be overcast, at least until the afternoon. The coastal zones of LA don't really heat up until mid to late August, through September. As someone who commutes & works in this weather, I prefer it on the cooler side (:

Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,581,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
We are here in Manhattan Beach for about a week and a half. We check the daily forecast on the weather channel and they forecast sunny weather. So far, the first two days have been cloudy and foggy. Is this normal???
Also, it's really cool (high 60's). Not really swimming weather. Wondering if this is also normal.
Still agreat place and very relaxing but expected a little more sunshine!
No way, this is an unusual summer. I grew in Manhattan and Hermosa Beach. And as a young beach kid I spent almost every day at the beach and in the water during the summer. Sure, there were the typical June gloom days. But by July it was all but gone most years. The majority of the days in July and August are sunny, unless a southern storm was moving up the coast from Baja. I cannot remember one July 4th for example where I couldn't see the fireworks at night.

Derek

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,477,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
During July it's pretty typical for areas right near the beach to be overcast, at least until the afternoon. The coastal zones of LA don't really heat up until mid to late August, through September. As someone who commutes & works in this weather, I prefer it on the cooler side (:
Totally understand that!!

Thanks all for the answers.

Still like watching all the surfer dudes at 7AM trying to "catch a wave"!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles