Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 10:33 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times

Advertisements

I'm looking forward to "The Big One"
Rid the state of all the excess people and create jobs rebuilding
What do I have to lose, I left the screwed up state years ago, never to return anyway but I got used to the little ones that occur quite often.
I did get a bit freaked out when I experienced a major one in either 1970 or 1971 in central California's gold rush country and nobody could stay on their feet. Every one in the room was on the floor.
It was a bit scary but the adrenalin rush after it was over was worth the scare !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,278,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj1990 View Post
I always want to visit L.A. but then I imagine myself crushed under a building.
I don't think anybody can honestly say that they have no fear of earthquakes. They're a reminder that we're not invincible. All of the retrofitting and new building codes done to reduce damage (since '94) have helped to ease my mind a bit. The '87 quake was very scary as there was quite a bit of damage. I am told the '71 quake was destructive. Without the codes, we would be another Haiti.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:48 PM

364 posts, read 991,228 times
Nobody gets over fear of earthquakes. After all, it's pretty scary when the earth shakes below you. You just to be earthquake aware, have emergency provisions, know what to do in case of an earthquake. If I were you, I would be more afraid of driving on the freeways. Many people here are crazy-a$$ drivers!

Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Default How do you get over fear of earthquakes

Don't let it develop in the first place. As lovetheoutdoors said, be prepared!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:10 PM

611 posts, read 774,302 times
Quote:
I live in the north state but I'd suggest that you just go on out to the LA area and you will be having so much fun, you won't even have time to think about the big E.
Sure, traffic is always the pitts, as in many metropoloitan cities.
I haven't been down south in awhile but I hope to make the trip and visit friends there early next year.

Last edited by WestWillow; 08-04-2010 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 04:22 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
I've lived through countless quakes. Including the big ones. Sylmar. Northridge. Whittier. The quake in '62 when we were riding our bikes to school and Stevie Raskin's bicycle was lifted right up off the ground in front of our eyes! The thought of a tornado scares me a heck of a lot more.

(At least after a major quake your stuff is basically going to be where you left it and not three counties over.)

There are building codes and retro-fitting. Parking garages are cross-braced. Disaster relief plans are in place. Disneyland has evacuation procedures. LA can be a great town! And if a quake hits while you're visiting you are going to have a heck of a story for Auntie Carol back in the Twin Cities.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:40 PM

58 posts, read 159,056 times
Default Be realistic....

Quote:

Chances to be hit by a car are bigger in LA.
We, who live here, deal with it on a daily base... it's the reality.
If it happens, it happens.

There is enough to see in LA, unless some remarks from another member.

Come over and enjoy.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Think of this, more people die each year from a coconut falling from a tree than from earthqakes of Shark bites. That is why I am affraid to visit Hawaii. LOL

Old 08-05-2010, 01:25 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Overcoming a fear of earthquakes is relatively easy when you realize that every day there are earthquakes but many are too 'small' to feel and only detectable with dedicated instruments. A truck rumbling down the street, the cool cat driving his car down the road with his bass turned-up, and the XXL guy walking past my cubicle create more vibrations than some of these quakes. Earthquakes like those that we've had in the last few months are larger but still relatively minor and severe damage caused by them is very unlikely. As far as the so-called 'Big One', I'm not going to worry about it.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 AM

1 posts, read 680 times
I wonder why everyone thinks the next big quake will hit LA? I mean I live in palmdale I wonder if my apartment would come crumbling down? Or if it did hit in LA if we would feel it here? I'm scared!!! I have three babies and always think what if we get trapped or the apartment gives out. OMG!!! 
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles