Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,704 times

Advertisements

So I don't know exactly where to start but maybe just by saying that it's been a long time goal of mine to live in L.A. I've never actually lived in another state and I'm doing massive changes to save money to be able to cover 3 months worth of expenses of just living there as well as my debt (which I'm also trying to bring down before leaving). I've decided that a studio apartment in Van Nuys might be best and I've seen nice ones. My question though stems from the fact that I would need to get a day job there while working on my film music composition work.

I hear it was pretty hard to get a job in L.A. as well. What do you guys suggest in a situation such as mine. I live in Miami, FL currently and the only things I know about the comparisons is that L.A. is like 44% higher in expenses than Miami, but L.A. pays about 11% more than Miami does. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance! I would also like to network with people in L.A. maybe make new friends and re-create a new social circle in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:00 AM

304 posts, read 928,969 times
LA is a phenomenal place. There is every type of person, climate, food, architecture, art, and style here.

If you are going to be in the music business, this is one of the few towns where you have a chance of making a living doing that. A second job, as you spoke about, is a good idea.

Marketing your skills successfully is always the deal. If you can get yourself employed before you get here, it will be safer.

I say this because living here is pretty pricey. Count on $1,000 a month for the smallest apt. Renting in the valley is moderately affordable and near some studios (Universal, ABC, CBS Radford, Nickolodeon, Disney...)

Gas is over $3 while you are maybe 50 cents less in Miami now. LA is humongous. We did get our act together and now have a growing subway system but a car (gas, insurance, vehicle registration are surprising) is essential to life as we know it here.

Come here with as much $ as is humanly possible for you to bring. 3 months savings could easily be gone in no time.

Having given you my cautionary remarks... LA is amazing. Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianC View Post
So I don't know exactly where to start but maybe just by saying that it's been a long time goal of mine to live in L.A. I've never actually lived in another state and I'm doing massive changes to save money to be able to cover 3 months worth of expenses of just living there as well as my debt (which I'm also trying to bring down before leaving). I've decided that a studio apartment in Van Nuys might be best and I've seen nice ones. My question though stems from the fact that I would need to get a day job there while working on my film music composition work.

I hear it was pretty hard to get a job in L.A. as well. What do you guys suggest in a situation such as mine. I live in Miami, FL currently and the only things I know about the comparisons is that L.A. is like 44% higher in expenses than Miami, but L.A. pays about 11% more than Miami does. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance! I would also like to network with people in L.A. maybe make new friends and re-create a new social circle in my life.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,704 times
Thank you! I'm super excited! I've been seeing in the forums how getting a day job there is pretty hard, regardless of that being the case, I will not back down, however, in your opinion how would you view the challenge of getting a job out there? Is it really that hard right now? Also what steps would you take to get to L.A. have you being in my position right now?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:38 PM

10 posts, read 25,891 times
Hey DamianC I think that you are making the necessary steps toward getting to LA like Stuffavail said just try and stack as much money as you can before you move, because money can go quick. As you getting closer towards your projected moving date I would start sending out resumes to places for a day gig,to see if you could get some interviews lined up for when you get there or even potentially land a job before you get there. What type of music do you do are you trying to score films?

Old 08-03-2010, 01:15 PM

37,077 posts, read 42,043,953 times
What kind of job are you looking for and what experience do you have? Maybe a temp agency can help. If you know ANYONE in the area use them to make connections.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:39 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,519,375 times
It seems like to me ... that ideally you would want to line up employment before moving here. If you are looking for an "entry level" job you'll probably be okay (starbucks, retail, restaurant) - what do you do for work in Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: