Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingfireman View Post
A while back I had posted that my family and i were thinking of movintg there either within the year or in 5 years after i retire from the FD here. Right away people started in with i wouldnt be able to find a job, bla bla bla without knowing i had fully looked into other departments that ARE hireing in this down economy in the LA area. I take constructive criticism pretty well. But that is not why i am posting i have been lurking on here just reading post , and it seems all the people who live in or around LA that post on here either hate life or hate LA. (what gives?) if you hate LA so much why dont you just move?
I find that funny because we go out there 3 -4 times a year for a week or so at a time for the past 7 or 8 years. and through out those years i have befrinded quite a few people out there some are other firemen and others are just like minded people as me. They seem to love LA thier life they live there or maybe they are just blowing smoke up my a** but i dont think that is the case they seem pretty happy, ya traffic sucks but it also sucks in any major metro city . Cost of living is alot higher than most of our Country other than NYC, but the pay is also better than most citys. Im just wondering why most that post on here post negative things about LA? I was taught if you dont like your life your job where you live ect then stop bitchen about it and change it !
Just my rant on all the haters on here. just saying there are more negative replys to things about LA than there are positive from the locals on here.
and for good reason. Yes, Los Angeles has a lot of wonderful things to offer, beaches, good dining, the city is energetic, and the weather is great, but and there are buts: you say the salaries offset the cost of living, sorry, this isn't true in most cases. Yes, if you were lucky enough to buy a home many years ago, but even with the downturn in the housing market, the average family can not afford to buy in the Los Angeles area or if they do, they have to settle for smaller homes on smaller lots.

We visit oftern as well cause we have family still in the area, we always have a great time, but visiting an living there ae two different things.

You say you have looked into the job market, just want til the time comes and see if you really do get hired. Yes, there are jobs, no one would claim there are not, but what you see and think will work today may not when you get down to the nitty gritty. I am seeing this happening with my brother who lives in the L.A area. He was promised a job with X and X when he retired. Now he is close to retiring, getting serious and the offer isn't quite as they had told him.

Now, as for negative posts, I think it is pretty even. There are those who love living in So California and those who don't. You say, if you don't like it, get out. That isn't always that easy. Between family and job security, many people can not just pull up and leave.

For what it is worth, I hope you do get to move to Los Angeles if this is what you want and good luck.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Many of us love living here but don't see the need to constantly trumpet that fact, which is the polar opposite of the ones who don't like it here and who feel the need to shout it to the world, regardless of whether or not they live here or somewhere else.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I see a disconnect here. You're retiring from some department in NM, but you want to come to L.A. and get hired by a fire department?

Good. Work on your spelling and grammar.
And on the AR thread he talks about the medical care in the southern states, not NM? I too as wondering what gives?

Nita

Old 08-05-2010, 09:08 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I for one love living in the area, although I am living in Oxnard 60 miles up the coast. Still we travel to LA a few times a month for fun. Who would want to give up what the area has to offer. Saying that it is possible to see why some may think that people are somewhat negative. Then again it depends on the question asked and the information provided from the OP. Sure many want to move out here. Many of those want to move here having little to offer, no skills, no education, and the expectation that they can afford to live a similar life as they once did in Flyover USA. Once here those people like to complain and ask why they can not afford to live in Malibu. Why should they be kept out. Or how come they can't find an affordable place on the west side that is safe to live in.

Those that enter this forum and let us know that they have something to offer are met with a more positive reception from those of us that live here. It is more realistic to show support for someone who has all their ducks in a row and a solild plan for entering our home land. LOL

Old 08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

97 posts, read 260,434 times
As a soon to be ex - Californian I think it pains most of us that this state has become
so inhospitable to hard working Americans who love it and would like to stay
and make it a permanent home. A certain group said they would take over
California by over-populating after Prop 187 and they have. I often feel very
out of place here... like I'm not even in America anymore. Sadly I don't know if
Texas will be any better...

Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
lol that is funny. I'm just curious, are you a woman or a man?
Man, what's it to ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The last 3 posters proved my point about miserable people who inflate the negatives about Los Angeles in a way to fit their own negativity. It is not the environment but the individual. People with little insight tend to blame everything but themselves no matter where they happen to be.
What blame? I love California, but the writing is on the wall. You've got your head in the sand if you think that the progressively deteriorating financial condition of the state isn't negatively affecting the state. Every year the premium of living in California grows while the positives dwindle.

This state can't survive with the service industry as the primary industry, and that industry does not drive education at all. Yet, the service industry grows while others dwindle and better jobs move to other states or other nations.

"California’s ability to nurture aerospace technology development and production programs has been a source of pride and prosperity for the state and the nation for more than half a century; strong political action is needed to prevent irreversible erosion of this important economic engine.”
-Abe Karem, former owner of Boeing subsidiary Frontier Systems, which Boeing just announced is relocating to Arizona in a few months, taking ~150 engineering and manufacturing jobs with it.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:42 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,169,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
The last 3 posters proved my point about miserable people who inflate the negatives about Los Angeles in a way to fit their own negativity. It is not the environment but the individual. People with little insight tend to blame everything but themselves no matter where they happen to be.
This is true. I hate to say the overly cliche "people are jealous" but it seems true. I mean people who have never been here like to assume SoCal is fakes, rich, stuck up, all liberal etc. Why waste your time hating a city/state if you aren't jealous? People are what make a city boring/bad. It has nothing to do with the city itsself. it's what the person does.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 PM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeptemberRays View Post
As a soon to be ex - Californian I think it pains most of us that this state has become
so inhospitable to hard working Americans who love it and would like to stay
and make it a permanent home. A certain group said they would take over
California by over-populating after Prop 187 and they have. I often feel very
out of place here... like I'm not even in America anymore. Sadly I don't know if
Texas will be any better...
I'm considering moving to Montana or Idaho just to avoid those people.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
I actually grew up in LA but I don't like what it has become. There are too many immigrants here and people who just don't get along. That's why our jails and prisons are overflowing. It is stressful trying to get along with tons of different people who might as well be from another planet, day after day after day after day. There are some good things about it such as the energy, creativity, and great weather. If you're normal looking--don't have a disability-- and speak proper English, you won't fit in most places. So that is my issue. Most of my family is here too so it's hard just move away but it's on my radar for sure.

You sure summed it up well.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:39 AM

787 posts, read 1,942,108 times
Originally Posted by Jay100
"I actually grew up in LA but I don't like what it has become. There are too many immigrants here and people who just don't get along. That's why our jails and prisons are overflowing. It is stressful trying to get along with tons of different people who might as well be from another planet, day after day after day after day. There are some good things about it such as the energy, creativity, and great weather. If you're normal looking--don't have a disability-- and speak proper English, you won't fit in most places. So that is my issue. Most of my family is here too so it's hard just move away but it's on my radar for sure."
-----------------------------------------------------------

Quote from WEHOTEX:
You sure summed it up well.

Acutally, he did NOT sum it up well at all. In my experience people in LA get along quite well both native born and new arrivals.

I see you live in San Antonio so I am SURE you know can speak with authority about life in a city several states away from where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles