Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:54 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,686,692 times

Advertisements

Some of the bitterness people may have towards LA may be because they watch the local news too much? I'm just guessing. The local news has lots of negative stories and if you watch it then of course you will be bitter. Bad news is what sells unfortunately. I've been staying away from the news and have felt so much better because of that one choice. Sure there are bad things happening but you can't allow yourself to be consumed by them. This is hard for some people to do I know but you have to at least try. Look at the glass as being half full always
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:01 PM

2,855 posts, read 6,459,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Some of the bitterness people may have towards LA may be because they watch the local news too much? I'm just guessing. The local news has lots of negative stories and if you watch it then of course you will be bitter. Bad news is what sells unfortunately. I've been staying away from the news and have felt so much better because of that one choice. Sure there are bad things happening but you can't allow yourself to be consumed by them. This is hard for some people to do I know but you have to at least try. Look at the glass as being half full always
Good advice for the mostpart. Unfortunately, I don't have to watch the news to see it. I just look outside or step out the door, where I can see the squad cars or copters at any given time, LOL! I remember about twomonths ago when I had an appointment to show an apartment to someone. They showed up but took off before even parking their car and never came back. When they arrived seven police cars were parked in front of my building while the police were busy grabbing their assault rifles from their trunks and "gearing up" to enter the apartment complex next door

Old 08-12-2010, 03:16 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,998,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Some of the bitterness people may have towards LA may be because they watch the local news too much?
Oh, don't you know it!!! I reached a point where I was so depressed by the news and additionally depressed by some personal stuff that I didn't watch any TV news for most of the month of July. I discovered that my mood and demeanor improved without the constant agitation of the TV news disturbing me. I feel strongly enough that I'm convinced my improvement was directly caused by abstaining from watching TV news.

I'm back watching TV news this month and it's again having a negative effect, but I've improved some of the personal stuff so I'm still net to the good.

Two sayings I'm reminded of:

"Good news is no news."

"If it bleeds it leads."

Old 08-12-2010, 03:39 PM

767 posts, read 1,736,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Yeah, San Jose is the armpit of the state. We actually welcome and get along with Mexicans here, so I guess we must be pretty friggin' "filthy", huh?

Teabag away...
That's to our detriment. SJ may not be the armpit of the state but it is the armpit of the Silicon Valley, and it's the most third-world Latino-inhabited, as is the armpit of SJ itself, East San Jose, which is the most third-world Latino-inhabited.

Look at communities like Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto. Those places are typically composed of white, eastern Asian or southern Asian, and those are cleaner, safer communities.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 52,028 times
The larger the population center, the less intimate, the less friendly it becomes. While I have not lived in LA, I have lived in NY, and you won't get a less friendly place on the surface. However, neighbors and coworkers are what you make them no matter where you are.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 PM

897 posts, read 1,585,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Ah, Fontucky. Is it really so hard to understand? I was eight years old when my parents brought me over to the U.S. and, since we moved to downtown L.A. when I was 14, I grew up in "the original Los Angeles". Westlake Village, I believe the area was called. By the infamous McArthur park? I've only been to that park once by the way and I'll never enter it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I was fortunate to attend LA City Schools before the era where they got ruined. My high school was divided into three tracks: basic, regular and academic, where I was in the academic track of those who intended to attend college. Most of the kids in my classes also intended to attend college, and we were all competing to out-do each other academically. The dunces all sat in basic classes where they were isolated from those of us with goals.

Fast forward to today and from what I hear LAUSD schools are mostly ruined. I imagine they tease smart kids now.
Well, I was talking about my elementary school. By the time middle school and high school roll around you do have the chance to get away from the ignoramuses by working hard and getting yourself into honors classes. They still manage to get the jocks in there by allowing them to cheat but that's a whole other can of worms. I, unfortunately, was too concerned about making and keeping friends to do well enough in school to get into the honors classes but I was still above average so I wasn't bothered by the soon-to-be killers that I mentioned before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I remember about twomonths ago when I had an appointment to show an apartment to someone. They showed up but took off before even parking their car and never came back. When they arrived seven police cars were parked in front of my building while the police were busy grabbing their assault rifles from their trunks and "gearing up" to enter the apartment complex next door
Heh. I once had a girl come in, take a look at the apartment, fill out all the paperwork, get approved, sign the lease and schedule a move-in date. Four hours later she came back and wanted to shred the lease and made me return all her money (minus the credit check deposit) because she had walked down the street towards, you guessed it, McArthur park.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 PM

All my friends were what you would call nerds. I dated my class valedictorian, took her to the prom. I was dating upwards even then! She would have turned me down if she had known how I'd work out. now

Old 08-12-2010, 10:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
That's to our detriment. SJ may not be the armpit of the state but it is the armpit of the Silicon Valley, and it's the most third-world Latino-inhabited, as is the armpit of SJ itself, East San Jose, which is the most third-world Latino-inhabited.

Look at communities like Los Gatos, Saratoga, Los Altos, Palo Alto. Those places are typically composed of white, eastern Asian or southern Asian, and those are cleaner, safer communities.

Oh, my.

Well, over 350,000 Hispanic citizens here. Apparently, the "problem"?. I cringe to query whether those that share such an opinion have some sort of "solution" to this. Would it be a final one?

Maybe the folks who live in the so-called armpit areas don't have barrels of cash pouring out of their Mercedes trunks, like the fine folks in Los Gatos, Saratoga, or Palo Alto. Same bit in various parts of L.A. - poor people don't really want to be poor, whatever their color is, but they're a pretty damn easy target for some people to lay blame on.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:13 PM

I too had a problem with sjnative's post regarding SJ and being an armpit. My visits there didn't support that although I admit I haven't been back for 20 years.

I'm saddened to wonder why he doesn't move away, rather than complaining about it.

"Poor people don't want to be poor." (???) Um, duh? Although I agree that they are convenient targets.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,784,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Ah, Fontucky. Is it really so hard to understand?
Not now it isn't. "Original Los Angeles" usually refers to El Pueblo, hence my confusion. Carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles