Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 26,034 times

Advertisements

A while back I had posted that my family and i were thinking of movintg there either within the year or in 5 years after i retire from the FD here. Right away people started in with i wouldnt be able to find a job, bla bla bla without knowing i had fully looked into other departments that ARE hireing in this down economy in the LA area. I take constructive criticism pretty well. But that is not why i am posting i have been lurking on here just reading post , and it seems all the people who live in or around LA that post on here either hate life or hate LA. (what gives?) if you hate LA so much why dont you just move?
I find that funny because we go out there 3 -4 times a year for a week or so at a time for the past 7 or 8 years. and through out those years i have befrinded quite a few people out there some are other firemen and others are just like minded people as me. They seem to love LA thier life they live there or maybe they are just blowing smoke up my a** but i dont think that is the case they seem pretty happy, ya traffic sucks but it also sucks in any major metro city . Cost of living is alot higher than most of our Country other than NYC, but the pay is also better than most citys. Im just wondering why most that post on here post negative things about LA? I was taught if you dont like your life your job where you live ect then stop bitchen about it and change it !
Just my rant on all the haters on here. just saying there are more negative replys to things about LA than there are positive from the locals on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times
I found out a long time ago that there are some posters on C-D that seem downright miserable and their comments must be taken within the context of that negative world view. But most posters know that the economy in California is worse than it ever has been in our life times. So they may be cautioning you to make sure you have a good job before moving to Los Angeles so that you don't get hurt.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:10 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,254,517 times
I actually grew up in LA but I don't like what it has become. There are too many immigrants here and people who just don't get along. That's why our jails and prisons are overflowing. It is stressful trying to get along with tons of different people who might as well be from another planet, day after day after day after day. There are some good things about it such as the energy, creativity, and great weather. If you're normal looking--don't have a disability-- and speak proper English, you won't fit in most places. So that is my issue. Most of my family is here too so it's hard just move away but it's on my radar for sure.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:26 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,686,686 times
People are down on LA(and California) because it is a sinking ship. Outrageous government spending, outrageous public pensions, outrageous union contracts(particularly prison guard union), outrageous taxation, and a populous that cannot keep from shooting itself in the foot every state wide election cycle by adding billions in more debt through costly initiatives. And that doesn't even touch on illegal immigration, deteriorating schools, the multitudes of social service abusers, jobs, etc. California is going to continue to degenerate fiscally until the state declares bankruptcy and/or there is a constitutional convention. This is why there is middle class flight from the state.

As far as moving, I've tried to move each of the last 3 years. One house had the deal broken by a lienholder, another had a similar issue, and another opened escrow the same day I lost my job. Things don't work in the real world like they do in your fairy land, especially when one has a family.

As far as affordability, based on the last study I saw, after factoring in taxes, housing costs, wage differences, etc, Denver(a growing major Western metro area) is something like 45% more affordable than LA(ie more money in your pocket). Wages in LA do not account for the extra cost of living. You make more with less in Denver, Houston, Salt Lake City, etc.

And for the record, I am a native born and raised here.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post

As far as moving, I've tried to move each of the last 3 years. One house had the deal broken by a lienholder, another had a similar issue, and another opened escrow the same day I lost my job. Things don't work in the real world like they do in your fairy land, especially when one has a family.
lol that is funny. I'm just curious, are you a woman or a man?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:44 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,214,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
If you're normal looking--don't have a disability-- and speak proper English, you won't fit in most places.
Tell me about it -- I was just this evening shopping at the Costco in Culver City...yeesh!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,321,275 times
The last 3 posters proved my point about miserable people who inflate the negatives about Los Angeles in a way to fit their own negativity. It is not the environment but the individual. People with little insight tend to blame everything but themselves no matter where they happen to be.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Tell me about it -- I was just this evening shopping at the Costco in Culver City...yeesh!
Damn!

Old 08-05-2010, 02:06 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,509,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingfireman View Post
A while back I had posted that my family and i were thinking of movintg there either within the year or in 5 years after i retire from the FD here. Right away people started in with i wouldnt be able to find a job, bla bla bla without knowing i had fully looked into other departments that ARE hireing in this down economy in the LA area. I take constructive criticism pretty well. But that is not why i am posting i have been lurking on here just reading post , and it seems all the people who live in or around LA that post on here either hate life or hate LA. (what gives?) if you hate LA so much why dont you just move?
I find that funny because we go out there 3 -4 times a year for a week or so at a time for the past 7 or 8 years. and through out those years i have befrinded quite a few people out there some are other firemen and others are just like minded people as me. They seem to love LA thier life they live there or maybe they are just blowing smoke up my a** but i dont think that is the case they seem pretty happy, ya traffic sucks but it also sucks in any major metro city . Cost of living is alot higher than most of our Country other than NYC, but the pay is also better than most citys. Im just wondering why most that post on here post negative things about LA? I was taught if you dont like your life your job where you live ect then stop bitchen about it and change it !
Just my rant on all the haters on here. just saying there are more negative replys to things about LA than there are positive from the locals on here.
Really? We have been out of Southern CA for three years now and miss many things.

Was just back a couple of months ago to visit family and even after all the years of living there still enjoy the scenery. Miss the mountains something awful.

I don't find that many bitter and hateful comments on here as you suggest.

I do find it odd that you want to retire to LA. I really enjoyed LA( lived there 20 plus years). It is more of a young person's town.

Most people have to scale back and look for a lower cost of living after they retire. Going from Albuquerque( a city I also love) to LA is going to be more expensive.

You're already in a state that many people retire to.

But honestly I don't find the LA board to be bitter, perhaps you're reading certain threads that have negative topics. I have seen topics where LA veterans give accurate advice to those who want to move here.

The ones who want to live in the best parts of town but can't spend more than $600 a month on rent....LOL...telling people what they may not want to hear or the truth doesn't make someone a "hater"( that word is so overused anyway).

I think giving someone a direct answer regarding cost of living, neighborhoods, commute times, etc. is better than painting a false picture.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:07 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,764,481 times
Quote:
A while back I had posted that my family and i were thinking of movintg there either within the year or in 5 years after i retire from the FD here. Right away people started in with i wouldnt be able to find a job, bla bla bla without knowing i had fully looked into other departments that ARE hireing in this down economy in the LA area.
I see a disconnect here. You're retiring from some department in NM, but you want to come to L.A. and get hired by a fire department?

Quote:
I take constructive criticism pretty well.
Good. Work on your spelling and grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles