Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 11:36 AM

615 posts, read 855,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
DC rarely gets much above the how 90s even though there is a lot of humidity. Chic and the upper midwest stays cool even, again with the humidity. So, the majorityof the time, I would give the Los Angeles basin a B for weather, July and Aug into Sept there are many places much more comfortable than L.A. Of course, from what I have heard this year has been heaven and I wish I was there.
Nita
Heaven? Are you serious? Well, you did say it's from what you've heard, and not experienced.

DC is definitely not more comfortable than California in the summer. I was just there last month, and you know what, it was well above the 90s...let's go for over the 100s with high humidity. You'd start sweating just by standing around. That's not what I call comfortable. I couldn't wait to get back to California where the humidity is nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:43 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,204,714 times
Default I am so excited for you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
Uh.. no, a 3 bedroom house with 2 other room mates. I had the medium sized room, we priced them according to size of the rooms. One room mate has a super small bedroom for $475/month and another room mate has the biggest room and pays $600/month.

I have a video of it on my blog from about 2 weeks ago... check it out:

Los Angeles! « 612 to 323 (http://612to323.com/2010/07/26/los-angeles/ - broken link)
I lived in Southern California from the time I was 5 years old until I was 38. I miss the weather so so much. Enjoy the cool summers. I have my A/C on 24/7 living in Arizona. If you want warmer weather, move to arizona. I guarantee you will see the sun.

But, honestly, I feel your excitment. You will enjoy it. One day, I will return to California but I am not geared to live in Los Angeles with all the traffic. Boy, do I miss the weather though. Best weather in the whole USA.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,823,761 times
The fact that the swampy DC is on your list worries me, Nita. Do you have sunstroke or mosquitoitis?

Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,123,987 times
The finest weather in NA is SoCal. On this side of the globe , we would be looking at Buenos Aires in S/A for comparable quality in weather.

Hopefully things work out. Good luck man and try to save those dollars, its no time to party.

If you don't experience life good and sober, you will surrender the experience to something other than yourself.......... and miss everything

Old 08-16-2010, 01:20 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,688,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Nita, name a place in the US with better weather than So. Cal. and tell us why. I can't name any myself, except for Florida when they're not having hurricanes, and not better than CA just comparable.

Any other place that has cooler summers has colder winters and many of them have snow. Or go the other direction (e.g. Phoenix) and the winters are like our spring/fall but the summers are as hot as hell.

It's my strong opinion that Southern California has the best weather in the nation. Of course some people like four seasons and we don't got that.
I can tell you of a place that I think does have better weather than So. Cal. My opinion: Portland, OR. But maybe I'm a bit biased because I like to see precipitation and clouds. Especially their winters were so cool and refreshing when I was there although this was several years ago. No place has perfect weather but for me the Pac. NW fits my preference. So. Cal. isn't too bad though.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,511,932 times
I only like May Gray / June Gloom because it keeps the formidable Valley temps down. If I were living in Portland or Seattle, I'm sure I'd be depressed, especially because the temps are in the 40s in the winter, and it's much darker, as they're further north.

While it can get hot here, the average temps even in the summer in the Valley are far lower than other areas; for instance, there's a 20 degree difference between Sherman Oaks and Redding! Also, Texas cities like Dallas can experience heat waves of over 100 degrees for weeks at a time. That doesn't usually happen here.

Now, if you're talking smoke from not-too-distant fires, that remains an issue every time the Santa Ana winds come up in the fall, and the arsonists rub their hands gleefully.

I think the OP is going to do just fine here. This is a great place for younger people; so much to do and experience! He already has a job; he's saving some money, and is being responsible. I wish all of our transplants could be like this.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:18 AM

20 posts, read 45,776 times
LA doesn't sound as good as I thought it is!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:50 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I can tell you of a place that I think does have better weather than So. Cal. My opinion: Portland, OR. But maybe I'm a bit biased because I like to see precipitation and clouds. Especially their winters were so cool and refreshing when I was there although this was several years ago. No place has perfect weather but for me the Pac. NW fits my preference. So. Cal. isn't too bad though.
Okay, it's fair to have a preference for overcast/rain. Most would probably not agree with you but I'm sure many like it.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:14 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,216,609 times
Dear god! Where did you hear that Chicago & New England had better summer weather than LA?

Trust me... TRUST ME! They don't. They are both just AWFUL in the summer. Hot, humid, just miserable. And most people here (in Boston) don't have central A/C. Chicago is slightly worse than Boston. (still LOADS better than the winters, mind you)

That being said, there is nowhere more hellish than Austin in the summer. Boston, in comparison, is heaven compared to it. Last summer (in Austin) I only went outside to go to & from my car. All summer. The second I hit the outside I was drenched. For 3 months. Over 3 months of 100+ weather.

My move back to LA is coming up next month. I left 10 years ago and I've missed it.

LA has its problems, but one of those problems is NOT the weather! I find it shocking and hilarious that anyone would complain about it. I assume these people have never lived anywhere else. Or maybe they're more "rainy" type people, which I don't understand, but whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are probably getting off the subject now, but I can think of lots of places with cooler or more comfortable summers than the Los Angeles area (I am not talking about living near the ocean) I can think of a hell of alot worse as well. Yes, most of Texas and the entire south are worse than Los Angeles, but not just the pacific NOWest, but DC, Chic, New England and many parts of Ca, NM, etc are more enjoyable. NM has a dry heat, high desert and pretty mild temps. DC rarely gets much above the how 90s even though there is a lot of humidity. Chic and the upper midwest stays cool even, again with the humidity. So, the majorityof the time, I would give the Los Angeles basin a B for weather, July and Aug into Sept there are many places much more comfortable than L.A. Of course, from what I have heard this year has been heaven and I wish I was there.

Nita

Old 08-16-2010, 12:28 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Nita, name a place in the US with better weather than So. Cal. and tell us why. I can't name any myself, except for Florida when they're not having hurricanes, and not better than CA just comparable.

Any other place that has cooler summers has colder winters and many of them have snow. Or go the other direction (e.g. Phoenix) and the winters are like our spring/fall but the summers are as hot as hell.

It's my strong opinion that Southern California has the best weather in the nation. Of course some people like four seasons and we don't got that.
Wow, did I say anything about Los Angeles not having great weather? If I did, I must have had a too much wine minute or a senior one. I said, just the opposite..What I did say, there are places that have more comfortable late summers than So. Ca. I overall completely agree with you. Yes, most do have cooler winters, that is my point if you really read it. Summers can be nicer some places, but they usually are followed by cold winters.

For those who like seasonal changes, there are lots of better places, for those who like sunshine and mild temps 10 months of the year SO CA is that. By the way, So Ca has better weather in my opinion than Fl.

Again, I will ask you, where I said Ca didn't have good weather? I think you misread or misunderstood what I was saying.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles