Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:04 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,502,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
- Weather: A little unimpressed, to be honest. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is pretty here everyday. But, I find the mornings too gray and the evenings too cool. I know I’m being picky, but I was thinking it would be 75-80 all the time here, with sun all the time.
The virtues of Southern California climate aren't felt in summer. Wait until October or November (through April) and compare to just about anywhere else in the US. Cell phone call your buddies back in MN in February while you're sitting at the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:13 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,785,800 times
WOW...$525.00 a month for rent....Can't believe it....thats cheaper than when I was in my apartment in Charlotte, NC...Was paying $600.00 a month for rent....How does the house look...Is it a good neighborhood.....Where at in Atwater?.....I might want to jump on the bandwagon...Been wanting to relocate to west coast for a long time...however I thought due to cost of living disadvantages.....it wasnt happening....Please do elaborate on your living arrangements.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:26 AM

5,802 posts, read 11,835,435 times
Default doesn't surprise me ! LA is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I moved out to Los Angeles exactly 2 weeks ago from Minneapolis, MN. My thoughts so far:

- People: Diverse, friendly, easy to get along with, outgoing… people in the Midwest have this idea that everyone in Southern California are rich, stuck up Hollywood snobs. I have found the opposite to be true.

- Cost of Living: Again, overrated. I was expecting to pay through the nose for food, housing, clothes, etc… instead, my $5 foot long is actually cheaper here than it was in Minnesota, without the extra tax. I found a cheap house in the Atwater neighborhood, near work, and pay $525/month, plus utilities. I was expecting to pay $1k+ in rent. However, gas is about .50 cents more per gallon – big whoop.

- Traffic: Holy smokes! I thought I was ready for traffic, but I never imagined it could really be THIS BAD. I live 5 miles from work and it sometimes takes me 35 – 40 minutes to get home. It is absurd!

- FREE things to do: Walk around Santa Monica or Venice beach. Go exploring near the OC. Walk around Griffith Park, Hollywood Blvd, Silver Lake Reservoir, etc.. I have done all of those in the past 14 days and it didn’t cost me a dime.

- Weather: A little unimpressed, to be honest. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is pretty here everyday. But, I find the mornings too gray and the evenings too cool. I know I’m being picky, but I was thinking it would be 75-80 all the time here, with sun all the time.

- Overall: I love this place. Maybe I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but this place truly is amazing. Much better than anyplace I've been to in the midwest.

For those of you who want to move here: Come with a job, come with money saved up to do fun things you first few weeks, move out here with some friends, and have a blast. I lived in the Midwest for 17 years. I wish I would’ve come out here a lot sooner.
I stayed in LA for a few weeks (family, vacations) in 1970, 1971, 1974, 1985 (granted, it was a long time ago) and each time I found it awesome-of course I was there as a tourist and didn't stay in Watts! but still, LA made such a lasting impression on me that I dream to go back there and live there for a while (as a pensioner probably because I'm turning 55 now!). And , who knows, now that there is a huge upgrade in public transportation planned (tramways, train lines), maybe that the transportation problem will be solved one of these days?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:31 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,262,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
WOW...$525.00 a month for rent....Can't believe it....thats cheaper than when I was in my apartment in Charlotte, NC...Was paying $600.00 a month for rent....How does the house look...Is it a good neighborhood.....Where at in Atwater?.....I might want to jump on the bandwagon...Been wanting to relocate to west coast for a long time...however I thought due to cost of living disadvantages.....it wasnt happening....Please do elaborate on your living arrangements.
I have no idea what his house situation is, but I can pretty much assure he is luckier then Hell to be living in a place with that kind of rent. Same as you, here in NWA even a decent 2 bedroom and I don't mean elaborate, just decent is running $500 to $700 a month. Altwater district has never been great, but not too terribly bad as I remember. I don't know about now.

Nita

Old 08-06-2010, 08:19 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,015,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
Actually, for those of you who want to move out here - don't. No offense ut we don't really have room for you. Move to Las Vegas instead.
Nonsense! We have plenty of room in Los Angeles! The more the merrier!

In the next few or several months I'm putting my house up for sale and I'm moving out of state. Somebody can have my place in California. There's always people leaving and making more room for people who want to move to California.

Our present weather is completely unusual. We would normally be having 90-100 degree days inland and completely clear (but smoggy). This current oddly cool weather is the same as June gloom or May gray, the kind of weather we often have in those months where the days start out overcast and then mid-morning the sun burns through and the temperature reaches 80-90 on typical days. That weather pattern usually breaks around late June into the July-August pattern of hotter days and no clouds, no overcast. This year is somewhat unusual compared to our typical summers.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM

215 posts, read 472,207 times
Everyone keeps talking as though this summer weather is unusual, but in reality it's not. I'm a native of LA, and lived here all but five years of my life. At least every few years or so from my experience living in LA we go through the summer season without a lot of heat. But what usually happens is at the end of the season around September summer goes out with a bang of intense heat for a few weeks. Which is somewhat typical anyway for our fall season. So I wouldn't count on us missing out on the heat, it's coming just wait a few more weeks.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,227,534 times
a friend told me we should be having a very dry warm winter this year. I haven't read anything on it as of yet, so take my thoughts for what they are worth.

What many fail to realize when they are living in fly over country is that things get going around here in late August, September, October. The traditional TV film schedule is during that time frame. One reason for that is we normally have amazing weather during that part of the year. Like others have said this is not your normal year, although it is not unheard of to have mild weather now. Kind of why people love this place, not always too hot in the summer or at least when it is you can get to the coast and cool down and then winter comes and you find me and others sitting by the pool while those in fly over country are sitting inside.

So nice to hear a favorable story from the OP. Enjoy your time here.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,335,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA Fan View Post
Everyone keeps talking as though this summer weather is unusual, but in reality it's not. I'm a native of LA, and lived here all but five years of my life. At least every few years or so from my experience living in LA we go through the summer season without a lot of heat. But what usually happens is at the end of the season around September summer goes out with a bang of intense heat for a few weeks. Which is somewhat typical anyway for our fall season. So I wouldn't count on us missing out on the heat, it's coming just wait a few more weeks.
Not true. According to reports, this summer is the coolest in decades and people who live right along the beach are complaining big time that the amount of morning clouds is worse than most can ever remember. Inland, of-course, most people are delighted that we don't have to use air conditioning but who can recall that ever happening. It's funny that normally there is nothing for local weathermen\women to ever talk about

Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,122,212 times
i live and work near the coast, we haven't a had a sunny day in a while. the sun may come out for a bit, but it doesn't last long, that's for sure. certainly nothing that i would call sunny.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 AM

787 posts, read 1,937,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
The virtues of Southern California climate aren't felt in summer. Wait until October or November (through April) and compare to just about anywhere else in the US. Cell phone call your buddies back in MN in February while you're sitting at the beach.
I disagree Charles. Since you are a SoCal. native who relocated to the deep south I am surprised to hear you say this. The summers in So.Cal. are delightful compared to the rest of the country, esp. the deep south.

That said, your larger point is well taken. The OP relocated from Minnesota...come the winter months the climatic virtues of SoCalif. will be in clear focus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles