Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,829,850 times

Advertisements

What is "fly-over" country? A derogatory term for middle America?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 08:53 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,145,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
any state that isn't very popular with tourists.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
OP, if your anything like me and HATE winter, you will be very please when your pals back in MN lose another 5 months of their lives due to snow, ice and all that bs. It's nice in mid january to ride your bicycle. To take a walk. To do the simple things that many in CA take for granted when us in less fortunate states are experiencing a real winter.
jc, any closer to moving back to Ca? I know, that was all you could think about this time last year.

Nita

Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 AM

427 posts, read 1,090,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
any state that isn't very popular with tourists.
I've heard celebrities use the word 'fly-over state'. It denotes the wasteland between New York and LA.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,823,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The vast stretches that one flies over when transitioning between the coasts.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,790,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
OP, if your anything like me and HATE winter, you will be very please when your pals back in MN lose another 5 months of their lives due to snow, ice and all that bs. It's nice in mid january to ride your bicycle. To take a walk. To do the simple things that many in CA take for granted when us in less fortunate states are experiencing a real winter.
I lived in Venice for 3 years and worked in Santa Monica: my commute was: walk three blocks to the sand; head north for a mile; head inland about 200 yards; go to work (I worked at the Casa Del Mar at the very end of Pico).

I recall a cell phone conversation with my mom one winter:

Me: "So, how are things back there?" (I'm from Massachusetts)
Mom: "Oh, you know... it's snowing again. Dad is shovelling the car out so we can go get groceries. They're saying it'll be below zero tonight with the windchill..."
Me: "Wow, that sucks."
Mom: "Are you by a lot of traffic? I hear a lot of noise in the backround."
Me: "No, that's the ocean. I'm walking along the beach."
Mom: "Oh."
Me: "Yeah. Sorry. It's, uh, I think like sixty degrees and pretty sunny..."
Mom: "That's not funny."

I moved from LA 3 years ago and may be moving back for work in a few months. I never thought I'd miss it, but after spending three years away, I appreciate a lot more what the city has to offer than I did at that time.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
It was shot and uploaded directly from my iPhone.

My bad, I thought most people in LA have roommates. But my point was, with roomates, it's not was expensive as a lot of people think
I lived with my ex in a 1-bedroom in Koreatown for $750/mo in 2002, which was a ripoff at the time (we were in the "bad" part of Koreatown. Dude got executed by a rival on the hood of my car one night... had no idea the LAPD is just like "here you go" and releases your bloodstained/greasepainted car back to you for you to wash ). Then we moved to Venice and got a 2-bedroom for $1500/mo a few blocks from the beach. After we split, I got a roommate and we split it even.

You can find studios in various parts of LA for under a grand, and a lot of people choose to do that instead of having a roommate. When I move back there, I'll probably do the same; I don't need anything bigger even though I can afford it, and don't want roommates anymore either.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
We have professional crime scene cleanup services for that. They'll be happy to clean the blood off your car or house or apartment, all at a reasonable price, reasonable considering that human blood is a biohazard, dangerous biological waste. I sure hope you didn't just hose off your car into the gutter...

Old 08-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
We have professional crime scene cleanup services for that. They'll be happy to clean the blood off your car or house or apartment, all at a reasonable price, reasonable considering that human blood is a biohazard, dangerous biological waste. I sure hope you didn't just hose off your car into the gutter...
Latex gloves, car wash near Beverly and Normandie

I was studying nursing at the time and had recently been doing cadaver classes so it didn't phase me that much. The stuff had been on my car for like 14 hours so it was quite dried and most bloodborne diseases would have died due to oxygen exposure. I polished that car religiously, and thankfully I can vouch with certainty that Meguiar's NXT is great at protecting your mirrorlike shine from bloodstains. I soaked it in disinfectant for about five minutes and then rinsed it right off.

The blood/brains/grue washed off easy, it was the blue greasepaint that got my goat... had to use some industrial degreaser on that stuff, which did mess up my mirror shine :/

Old 08-08-2010, 08:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,030,836 times
I loved your post 415_s2k!

I too am a satisfied Meguiar's customer for decades, although my last three Toyotas have needed no polish, nothing more than washing off, due to Toyota's beautiful and endurable finish.

I still have unused Meguiar's in my garage.

I hope there was something to be learned by scrubbing somebody's brains off your car's hood. Kind of poetic, you know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles