Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:16 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gas this morning was up to $2.61 a gallon.
2.89 here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
2.89 here.
well that isn't as bad as what my brother was paying a couple of weeks ago in San Fernando Valley. We were paying $1.49 and he way paying $3.15. Of course here we can go to MO and it is about 5 to 10 cents lower usually. i don't know about today cause we went the other direction.

Nita

Old 08-09-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
We were paying $1.49
Typo?

Old 08-09-2010, 03:32 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,087,251 times
Quote:
Sorry, I still disagree with you. Yes, in some cases salaries are higher, but not in every case. When 2 of our kids transferred from companies in Calif to companies in Texas the salary range was identical.
Average salaries are higher, that does not mean its higher in every single case. If you compare apples to apples rents in Texas are pretty similar to rents in California. A 3/2 home in a decent neighborhood right by downtown Dallas is going to be around $1,600 as well.

Quote:
There is more to taxes than income, every state we have lived in has a graduated income tax policy, but I am talking other things.
California's income tax is more progressive than most other states, lower income residents pay almost no income tax.

Quote:
If you are drinking $1.80 a bottle of wine, I would not want to see what your insides look like.
Are you under the impression that they put some toxic chemicals in it? Its a California wine and its cheap because its local.

Anyhow, food in general is pretty cheap in California. That is especially true if you have a diet high in fruits and vegetables.

Quote:
How much do you pay for gas and how much for car insurance, as well as car registration?
I pay $80/month for gas, $900/year for insurance and $200/year for registration. In the last state I lived in it was $650/year for insurance and $40/year for registration, but the insurance was less because I was driving less. This is for a newer car though, would be a lot less for an older car. The difference in gas would be around $8/month. So at worst that is around $200/year higher costs in California. I save that much a year on fruits alone...

Quote:
Calif has a lot to offer, there is no argueing about that, just a similare cost of living to most other states is not one of them.
I said if you compare apples-to-apples the costs are similar, you can't compare living near downtown Los Angeles to living in Arkansas. Additionally, there are many low cost areas of California. Living in a major city is never cheap though.

Last edited by user_id; 08-09-2010 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
How much do you pay for gas and how much for car insurance, as well as car registration?

I pay:

Gas: already told you
Ins: $412 a year
Reg: $74

Old 08-09-2010, 04:33 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
Haha, I haven’t checked this thing since last weekend. This topic has gotten hilarious!

Nita – I didn’t claim that Los Angeles was as cheap as Little Rock, AK. I can tell you, I’ve lived in Minneapolis, Boulder, Omaha, and now LA. LA transportation is more expensive (gas, insurance, registration, etc…) Rent is actually cheaper than what I was paying in Boulder 3 years ago with a roommate. Food is the same.

Again, I’m not calling Southern California a “cheap to live” but I think there is a stereotype in the Midwest that has California is outrageously expensive and you won’t be able to survive unless you make millions a year. I make under $40k and I’m doing fine & putting money into savings.

Plus, not to mention the activities and weather are well worth the extra bit of $ you pay for transportation expenses.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:56 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
You're making the assumption that most people don't mind having roommates. That is probably true for people your age but definitely not the case as you get older. I moved here from the midwest (Chicago) and I was shocked at how expensive 1BR apartments cost (even in the inland empire.) It was about 30% more than a comparable place/location in the Chicago city limits. My brother lives in Culver City and pays $1300/mo for a dumpy 1BR apartment!

I came to the conclusion that for a single person with no kids who wants their own place it's tough to live comfortably (in a decent neighborhood) on less than $50k a year in LA.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:45 PM

927 posts, read 2,466,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I came to the conclusion that for a single person with no kids who wants their own place it's tough to live comfortably (in a decent neighborhood) on less than $50k a year in LA.
I think that’s a bit of a broad statement. I don’t think being financially comfortable in a big city depends solely on income. A lot of it is based on lifestyle and debt levels. For instance, I would rather make $35k/year and have 0 debt than make $50k/year and owe on credit cards, school loans and have a car payment.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,014,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I think that’s a bit of a broad statement. I don’t think being financially comfortable in a big city depends solely on income.
Actually that number is based on no debt other than possibly a car loan.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:37 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Typo?
maybe more of wishful thinking...yes, typo. let's try $2.49?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles