Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

927 posts, read 2,457,694 times

Advertisements

I moved out to Los Angeles exactly 2 weeks ago from Minneapolis, MN. My thoughts so far:

- People: Diverse, friendly, easy to get along with, outgoing… people in the Midwest have this idea that everyone in Southern California are rich, stuck up Hollywood snobs. I have found the opposite to be true.

- Cost of Living: Again, overrated. I was expecting to pay through the nose for food, housing, clothes, etc… instead, my $5 foot long is actually cheaper here than it was in Minnesota, without the extra tax. I found a cheap house in the Atwater neighborhood, near work, and pay $525/month, plus utilities. I was expecting to pay $1k+ in rent. However, gas is about .50 cents more per gallon – big whoop.

- Traffic: Holy smokes! I thought I was ready for traffic, but I never imagined it could really be THIS BAD. I live 5 miles from work and it sometimes takes me 35 – 40 minutes to get home. It is absurd!

- FREE things to do: Walk around Santa Monica or Venice beach. Go exploring near the OC. Walk around Griffith Park, Hollywood Blvd, Silver Lake Reservoir, etc.. I have done all of those in the past 14 days and it didn’t cost me a dime.

- Weather: A little unimpressed, to be honest. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is pretty here everyday. But, I find the mornings too gray and the evenings too cool. I know I’m being picky, but I was thinking it would be 75-80 all the time here, with sun all the time.

- Overall: I love this place. Maybe I’m still in the honeymoon phase, but this place truly is amazing. Much better than anyplace I've been to in the midwest.

For those of you who want to move here: Come with a job, come with money saved up to do fun things you first few weeks, move out here with some friends, and have a blast. I lived in the Midwest for 17 years. I wish I would’ve come out here a lot sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,767,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
people in the Midwest have this idea that everyone in Southern California are rich, stuck up Hollywood snobs.
Yep, all 24 million of us...

Quote:
Go exploring near the OC.
If you drop the "the" part of that, and promise to never say "Cali", you'll be close to perfect.

Quote:
I was thinking it would be 75-80 all the time here, with sun all the time.
Well, NOW YOU KNOW! Although, this has been a strangely cool Summer. Don't use this weather pattern to gauge what future years will bring you.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:59 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,101,947 times
the weather should get better, we're having an abnormal summer thus far.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,986,484 times
Lolz, I think you need a few, 5 or several years to simmer...

I'm surprised in your house at $525/month, hope you're not in a high crime area. A bullet through the head would kind of ruin your inexpensive rent deal.

Traffic, you have just a glimmering, and it's getting worse! Traveling any time near commute hour is like trying to run through wet cement in most areas, and even worse, in both directions.

Yeah, all that free stuff is good, I've done all that many times: Griffith park (go hiking on the Sierra Club hikes), Venice Beach and the Strand (rent a bicycle and ride as far as you dare), and lots more fun stuff and many of it free (if you can stand the traffic to get there).

The weather really comes on in winter when there isn't any winter, although if you want winter then you'll be disappointed. We really barely have any seasons at all and when your Easterner friends are schlepping through snow you might find our L.A. weather good enough for surfing, or at least t-shirt and cut-offs weather even middle of winter.

One of my major negatives is fighting the crazy people in traffic when you need to get somewhere, particularly when some joker doesn't like that you honked at him and then he decides to drive 10 mph and block you when you try to change lanes and get around. If you can stand the crazies and stand the traffic then you might have a chance to like L.A.

I'm fed up only because I've endured this for decades, and worse, I remember when it was nice, when it wasn't like this. I applaud people like you (OP) for taking over as I depart for less crowded pastures.

I think you'll like it. However you should think ahead to how you'll feel in 20-30 years. If the traffic doesn't kill you and you don't get shot in a drive-by!

Old 08-05-2010, 11:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,323,087 times
Quote:
I moved out to Los Angeles exactly 2 weeks ago from Minneapolis, MN. My thoughts so far:

- Weather: A little unimpressed, to be honest. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is pretty here everyday. But, I find the mornings too gray and the evenings too cool. I know I’m being picky, but I was thinking it would be 75-80 all the time here, with sun all the time.
Believe me, you will be praying for the kind of weather we have been having this summer unless you live very close to the beach. This summer is breaking all records for coolness so enjoy it while you can because summer normally lasts from June to October and by then people are screaming "uncle"

Old 08-06-2010, 12:31 AM

615 posts, read 854,583 times
As someone who has lived in Los Angeles all their life...I welcome this cool summer with open arms! I'm in no hurry to have an excruciating hot summer like the past couple years.

Don't take our weather for granted, you will regret it.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:33 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,133,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Yep, all 24 million of us....

lol so true. Texans think the same too

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,242,337 times
It has been a very cool summer so far. There were a couple of very hot days in July, but that's it.

I could never really get my head around Atwater. It is still gentrifying; houses are 600-700K, but there is still a strong gang presence?

Traffic sucks, sometimes especially in Atwater on Los Feliz Blvd. There's just really one direct route to get from Hollywood to Glendale, and LF blvd just happens to be it. (yeah I know you could take the 5 to Colorado or take Glendale blvd, but just letting you know.)

Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 AM

364 posts, read 988,088 times
Actually, for those of you who want to move out here - don't. No offense ut we don't really have room for you. Move to Las Vegas instead.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:10 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,688,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the weather should get better, we're having an abnormal summer thus far.
Better? What's wrong with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles