Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 94,183 times

Advertisements

hey!

My intuition (and my mom) are telling me this is crazy... but here it goes.

I need help figuring out whether this proposed road trip is a) feasible b) really THAT dangerous or c) possible, (based on what you recommend which roads to take).

I myself am going to be a senior in high school (18 years old) and I want to drive from Los Angeles to Montreal from around December 17 to get back around the 2nd (3rd or 4th).

First of all, the contents of the car will be: Myself, my friend (same age), my brother (24 years old) and his wife (23 years old). The car is a Dodge Nitro 2008 in great condition.

So... firstly, how long will it take? Which route do we take? Google maps is telling me i-15 to either 1) i-80 2) i-70 and 3) i-40. We want to get there in like 3 days (we'll switch shifts) - from what my intuition is telling me, the winter will delay us. Should we even bother doing a northern route? Will we die on this road trip? With this route, should even aspire to make it in that time frame (i can't miss too much school).

So yeah - what do we do? Where do we go? How do we go? Should we go!?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,018,059 times
Go South young man, go South? (Apologies to Horace Greeley.) You should set your route as far south as possible, and through the lowest elevations, and then be flexible and be attuned to weather forecasts. You will have to alter your route or pause if your intended route encounters weather problems.

I have no idea of the time frame because of my inability to predict the future.

I'd take I-40. Even I-40 can encounter weather closures, e.g. Flagstaff AZ.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times
Sound like a great trip even in winter. I would love to drive from Quebec to California. Lovehound is correct that it would be best to drive due south from Canada into the U.S. South in order to avoid snow storms and road closures. Once in the South, you can take a variety of freeways into California like Interstate 10.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:34 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,018,059 times
Just an elaboration, I did not mean the OP should drive due south. I meant that he should take the most southerly routes. That would be I-40 or even better I-10 at least until he has to start veering north towards Montreal.

I have not traveled the I-95 corridor but I think the OP would be best served to go east as far as possible while maintaining southerly routes, and then head north on I-95. That's what I would do, and I would expect snow removal and other weather measures would probably be reliable since I-95 is so heavily traveled.

Note that I have not been there so my comments are all conjecture.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:02 AM

7,138 posts, read 10,982,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppmov View Post
hey!

My intuition (and my mom) are telling me this is crazy... but here it goes.

I need help figuring out whether this proposed road trip is a) feasible b) really THAT dangerous or c) possible, (based on what you recommend which roads to take).

I myself am going to be a senior in high school (18 years old) and I want to drive from Los Angeles to Montreal from around December 17 to get back around the 2nd (3rd or 4th).

First of all, the contents of the car will be: Myself, my friend (same age), my brother (24 years old) and his wife (23 years old). The car is a Dodge Nitro 2008 in great condition.

So... firstly, how long will it take? Which route do we take? Google maps is telling me i-15 to either 1) i-80 2) i-70 and 3) i-40. We want to get there in like 3 days (we'll switch shifts) - from what my intuition is telling me, the winter will delay us. Should we even bother doing a northern route? Will we die on this road trip? With this route, should even aspire to make it in that time frame (i can't miss too much school).

So yeah - what do we do? Where do we go? How do we go? Should we go!?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd go I-70, if it was Summer, but since its winter defiantly go with the I-40 option.

My main concern, I sure hope somebody in your party, has some winter driving experience. Because on a long trip like that, you are going to run into some real bad weather at some point. Study up on how to drive on snow and ice. Because if you don't know what you are doing, you could spinout and wreck your car real easy.

Make sure your vehicle is ready. Make sure you have new all-weather tires on your car, and be sure to carry a Winter Survival Kit.

Winter Hazard Awareness - Winter Survival Kits For Your Vehicle

If at any point the weather gets to be too much for you, get of the road, and stay in a hotel, for a day or two, until it improves.

If you are ready for it, enjoy your trip. It sounds like fun.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:43 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,817,265 times
I would go the most direct route just for the experience.

You will encounter snow/ice/blizzards at some point on the trip, and not necessarily where you'd expect it to be. December isn't even close to being the snowiest month in Colorado (probably the most "worrisome" stretch). But still, heed the advice on your thread in the CO forum.

However, I will say, that this trip seems extremely short-sighted. I really don't think you have any idea as to what you're in for. Don't forget your passports, and don't be weenies and turn around when things get dicey.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,248,818 times
Lol a California kid driving in bad snow conditions (assuming you'll get into some bad snow at some point). That should be interesting.

If I were you, I'd just go in the Summer. Probably be a little more enjoyable in my opinion.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: