Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 PM

95 posts, read 251,371 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know nothing about LA, but grew up in another major city. So if I was working at LA County Hospital, took the metro - any metro line - where might I want to live that would offer some "affordable" places to rent? Let's say I could afford $1000+/month, but just don't want to. Just want a simple 1 bedroom/1 bath place for me, a safe place to park my car.

I don't really feel a need to be close to fine dining, or clubs, etc. I'd just like to have a peaceful place with access to the mountains and ocean.

I know, this is far too general. But it's a start. How might this work?

Thanks all,
b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times
Assuming you are referring to LA County\ USC hospital instead of LA County Harbor\ UCLA hospital, right? If it is the hospital east of downtown LA than you might want to consider living in several towns in the San Gabriel valley or live near the hospital in northeast LA; both areas have plenty of apartments in good neighborhoods for $1000.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:25 PM

95 posts, read 251,371 times
Yes it would be LA County\ USC hospital. About how long would the commute on the metro be?

Thanks,
b

Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,336,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2KnowWhy View Post
Yes it would be LA County\ USC hospital. About how long would the commute on the metro be?

Thanks,
b
I don't know much about the Metro trains but don't they come into the Union Station downtown? That would be a least a mile from the County Hospital. The length of a commute depends on where you start out from so it is impossible to answer the question. The Gold Line light rail comes pretty close to the hospital around State street. So if you live in South Pasadena you could take the Gold line to work but it goes into downtown first before circling out toward East LA. I would image a commute time from South Pasadena to the hospital of at least 30 minutes [and of-course, less time from Highland Pk or Mt Washington\ Montecito Hts]. You could drive faster using surface streets.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 PM

237 posts, read 667,098 times
Actually, LAC+USC (General Hospital and its clinics) have shuttles to Union Station, or you can walk to the El Monte Busway, and board a bus for the 1 minute ride to Union Station. Because Union Station is the hub for the Metrolink commuter rail service, and the Gold Line serving Pasadena and East LA, you have a really good amount of the LA metro areal to choose from. Or you could continue on the bus a little further to a subway stop and live near the Red or Purple lines, or transfer to the Blue Line and consider those communities served, and transfer from the Blue line to the Green Line and have more communities accessible.

This all depends upon your shift, it is is close to a 8-5, then public transit is a piece of cake. If your hours were to be odd, then you will mostly likely need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles