Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 07:13 PM

6 posts, read 9,605 times

Advertisements

Hello!!
I'm going to study at MTSAC, in Walnut, so i want to know how much i will pay per month to live there, i know the rent there with a roommate it's like between 400$-500$, i want to know other things

1.How much i can pay for food per week or day ? (i don't eat so much) and what about cooking by myself ?
2.How much i can pay for Utilities (1 refrigerator, one computer and one lil tv, phone, internet)
3.Is there anything else i will use ? and how much ?
this part is about how much i will pay
the second part is where i can get money (JOB) (No experience and part-time because i will study and work)
1. How hard to get job in Walnut ?
2. If i didn't found jobs in Walnut where the closest places and sure to get a job ? if so, what the cheapest way car or bus ?
3. No Experience Part-time Job, How much i can make per month ?

The Last and Global Question
How Much Money I Have Get To Live Simple In Walnut For 12 Months?
Does 10000$ Enough ?
----------------------
Please if you have anything else important let me know please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 PM

237 posts, read 667,284 times
Well Walnut is a bit of a ways from downtown LA, but I am very familiar with that area.

Walnut is suburban city that is mostly affluent. Walnut can be considered a "bedroom" community, meaning that people pay for those big beautiful houses by working many miles away at offices with bigger paychecks then return home to go to bed. While there are some jobs in warehouses or light industry, the most likely jobs for students will be at the many retail stores there. Walnut is like many suburban communities: lost of retail in the form of retail or shopping centers. Specifically, restaurants (waiters or other help), Starbucks, In-N-Out Burger (a good place to work with better wages for young people and will work around your student schedule as will Starbucks. You may even have to find something at Juice bar like Jamba Juice. That is most of the employment opportunities there.

Nearby Pomona and Diamond Bar are more of the same although Pomona does have some light industry.

Walnut is a far out suburb, so public transit is not good. The one exception being the City of Industry Metrolink station (commuter rail) that serves downtown LA, so you will need a car, even to just get from where you may live to work and to school, that may be the biggest impact upon you: transportation. You will find that Walnut was not designed with the pedestrian in mind. It is the stereotype of some of the worst suburbs have to offer the pedestrian. Vast areas to cover, some of it undeveloped. With wheels, you can expand your area for employment as it is still not easy to find jobs, however, it seems the only openings are the entry level jobs like the ones described above. Your areas of employment increase to a fair amount of the San Gabreial Valley and even North Orange County cities such as Brea and Fullerton who may have better employment opportunities for you, IF you have a car.

Although Walnut is far out, the nearby junction of the 60 and 57 freeways is a MESS--even on weekends. On weekdays it can be maddening, and the 60 Fwy is bumper to bumper from Downtown LA all they way BEYOND Walnut/Diamond Bar area. And the 57 has it own congestion problems, not always a quick hop over the hills.

A car will also bring more entertainment accessible to you. Now, Walnut is a fine, affluent community with LA Sherrif's in patrol with only ONE deputy per car, but it is a sleepy place as far as fun things to do. Going over the hill to places like downtown Fullerton's busy night scene with unique restaurants bars and music (ridiculously packed on Fridays and Saturdays) with the Fullerton Amtrak (our national rail service) and Metrolink (commuter rail) train station or Anaheim and Downtown Disney or the Garden Walk and some of the decent restaurants in that area, The Block at Orange, and further south to south Orange County cites of Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, or even the Irvine spectrum with it IMAX theaters and restaurants, etc.

If you or your roommate don't have PERSONAL transportation while living in Walnut, you will be bored and miserable. Make friends at Mt. SAC so they can take you along when they go out for fun.

BTW, Mt. SAC is the largest community college in the nation or California, I think. It also is noted for its fine facilities.

So, good luck and do have some fun while learning.

Last edited by HarryKerry; 08-09-2010 at 10:02 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 05:39 AM

3 posts, read 4,421 times
There are loads of small businesses around MtSac (retail, food, etc.) for a p/t job. Head up Grand Ave. for more in the Covina area. Yeah, I agree w/Harry: not much to do with no transportation. But if you DO have a car, watch out: parking's difficult there (and was many years ago when I attended). Harry's probably right about it being the highest enrollment for a community college in CA. I'd also heard that a few years back. CalPolyPomona is also next door.

You wrote that you're an international student. MtSac has loads of international students, so finding someone familiar with wherever you're from shouldn't be an issue. Many clubs and opportunities, too. Also, if you excel at math or science, don't forget tutoring opportunities (to make that p/t job money). In that general area (Walnut/Diamond Bar), there are many younger, bright students who have parents more than willing to pay for tutoring to help them excel in advanced math and science while still in elementary/middle school. That will pay more than the other jobs, which probably hover close to minimum wage to start. Enjoy your time there!

Old 08-10-2010, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 9,605 times
Thanks so much guys, but you didn't reply for one question
what the minimum money to live in Walnut for 1year ?
does 10000$ enough ??

Old 08-15-2010, 03:34 AM

237 posts, read 667,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyass View Post
Thanks so much guys, but you didn't reply for one question
what the minimum money to live in Walnut for 1year ?
does 10000$ enough ??
Sorry. The short answer is NO! You will need your family to help make-up the difference from any part-time job you may have. In your spartan student lifestyle, maybe $20,000 since you will have no family for support here in the U.S. Forget being able to purchase, register, insure, feed (with gasoline) and maintain a car. Too bad, really because you will desperately need one in the far out suburbs of Walnut/Diamond Bar area as they really are among the least pedestrian friendly designed 'burbs with almost zero good public transit. The lengths of the walks to your part-time jobs will be beyond long.

Look, Walnut/Diamond Bar is nothing like some other LA area suburbs like Fullerton, Glendale, Pasadena, Orange, Riverside, Long Beach, etc., each having a downtown or village in a traditional design on a very human scale that have many businesses and retail and entertainment and education in a small area all mere blocks from each other and easily accessible by walking with somewhat workable public transit, even some with Metrolink train stations. Walnut/Diamond Bar area have the "power centers" (Google that term, I don't have much time) and an area designed with the automobile ONLY in mind with scant and infrequent bus services and the City of Industry Metrolink station that one drives a car to and boards a train to the high paying full time jobs in downtown Los Angeles. Go to Google Maps and get a clear picture of what you will be dealing with.

I'm not putting down Walnut/Diamond Bar; they are generally affluent areas with some very large and expensive homes with good people living there, but it is most likely among the last places someone who needs to walk to school, jobs, amenities, and will be transit dependent: not owning a car would ever want to choose to live. A car makes Walnut/Diamond Bar livable and an appealing place to live. I rather like the "power centers" there. They have just about everything and a great In 'n Out Burger, but it is driving a car that makes it all work, and owning a car takes a degree of affluence. Consult MTA.net and look at the maps and timetables of MTA busses in that area, and also check out Foothill transit and even Metrolink at metrolinktrains.com. You will have to make friends who are willing to drive you and pick you up, etc. Bring lots of money!

Last edited by HarryKerry; 08-15-2010 at 03:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles