Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,235 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Sorry if this post seems a bit British heavy / favoured, but any advice would be welcome.

I was wondering what have been peoples experiences been like of moving to Los Angeles from the UK - immigration, accommodation, areas to live, employment etc

I am currently based in London and looking to move to LA to further my career as a talented agent and want to get people opinions and experiences of making the move.

thanks for any advice (or better still offers of jobs in a Talent Agency!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 9,634 times
Thumbs up Moving to LA

I moved to LA last July.
It took me 6 months from start to finish to get the work permit and then a further 3 to get the green card.
I know a good lawyer in Santa monica which is a bit of a Brit enclave. Tip once you get here submit forms to Immigration through the Chicago office- LA is very, very slow,
LA is expensive compared to the rest of the U.S, house prices for example are comparable to London.
Traffic is awful be careful where you choose to live in comparison to work- Forget public transport!
Having said that - go for it, the pro's for outweigh the cons!!

Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 PM

723 posts, read 2,989,807 times
I worked with a company that was entirely made of brits...

Just make sure your paperwork is in order, and you'll be fine; that was everyone's biggest concern when they were here: paperwork status.

Outside of that, there are more than enough experiences and brits to keep you happy. I know one gang of guys that used to get up at 4am to go to a pub (yes, the pub would open extra early) so everyone could watch Arsenal kick Chelsea's arse via satellite. (Or some such business)

[queue "Englishman in New York"]

Except don't go to New York:

“When it’s fall in New York, the air smells as if someone’s been frying goats in it, and if you are keen to breathe the best plan is to open a window and stick your head in a building.” - Douglas Adams

Old 08-15-2007, 04:56 PM

225 posts, read 1,087,754 times
It's fine. Underneath the surface L.A. is quite a lot like London--e.g. it has several centres and lots of small houses, and most people own cars. Hollywood (the industry, not the neighbourhood) is crawling with Brits with accents in various states of confusion. Santa Monica is Brit central but it is horrendously expensive and you may not relish the idea of hanging out with your fellow countrymen. In general the cost of living is much like London. Rent is slightly more expensive, supermarket food is more expensive, eating out is cheaper, petrol is cheaper, cars are a lot cheaper.

By the way, is "talented agent" a typo or is that really what they are called? Too perfect if so...

Old 06-14-2011, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,208 times
any jobs for Patternmakers?

Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM

605 posts, read 2,374,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Sweeney View Post
any jobs for Patternmakers?
Do you make patterns?

Old 06-14-2011, 04:39 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,928,232 times
I'm from South London and I've been living in LA for 2 years now and getting jobs has been very easy for me. I'm a graphic/web designer/illustrator etc.
Immigration was a bit long but receiving my greencard took 3 months without any additional torture.

I absolutely love living in LA. In London I would get depressed a lot in the winter (S.A.D) but out here the sun is out 90% of the time and I just feel a lot better out here. I do miss London summers and the people. I miss how London was in the 90's and early 2000.

The only problem I've had has been my body adapting to the environment. It's all getting better now but I would develop allergies, the water would eff up my skin and sometimes the sun would make my thighs proper blotchy but with a change of diet it's all getting better.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,895,904 times
How did you get sponsored for the Green card?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 PM

605 posts, read 2,374,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
That's the 64 thousand dollar question - and the one that gets glossed over a lot on these threads.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post

If you're rich, I'm single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles