Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,206,558 times

Advertisements

I moved to Boston recently, but I'm moving to California next month. I have an un-registered car that I'd like to sell, and I want to buy a car (and register it) while I'm in Boston as well.

I've been told I might have to pay sales/useage tax in BOTH states if I do this since I'll be moving to LA in less than 6 months. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, I looked up the taxes/fees if I bought a car for $16000 in LA, and I got this:

Tax & Tags Estimate for State

Registration Fee $31.00
Highway Patrol Fee $22.00
Vehicle License Fee $185.00
County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee $1.00
Fingerprint ID Fee $1.00
Smog High Polluter Repair Fee $6.00
Smog Abatement Fee $6.00
DUI Crime Deterrence Program Fee $1.00
Air Quality Mgmt District Fee $6.00
Reflectorized License Fee $1.00
South Coast Air Basin Fee $1.00
Alternative Fuel/Technology Smog Fee $8.00
Alternative Fuel/Technology Registration Fee $3.00
Use/Sales Tax $1,560.00
TOTAL OF TAXES AND TAGS $1,832.00

$1832? Does this sound right to you? In Mass, it's about $1000 (which also seems insane to me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,493,734 times
I don't know about paying the sales tax in both states; you can't buy the car in both states, after all! To reregister the car with CA plates, though, the other prices sound about right.

I found this in a Consumer Reports buying guide; maybe this is what you're talking about:

State sales tax

"If you’re buying a vehicle in the state in which you live, you’ll have to pay the sales tax. If you’re buying a car out of state, you’ll pay sales tax when you register the car in your home state. Most dealers can handle registrations in other states, too.

But if you intend to relocate soon after your purchase or lease, or if you’re buying the vehicle for somebody else who lives in another state, you’ll probably have to register it temporarily where you bought it, then reregister it in the new state of residence before the temporary title expires, usually within 30 days. You can claim a refund for the first state’s sales tax by submitting proof that you’ve reregistered the vehicle, and paid tax, in the state where permanent tags are issued. "

New car buying guide, check the numbers (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/car-buying-advice/guide-to-new-car-buying/closing-the-deal/check-the-numbers/index.htm - broken link)

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM

25 posts, read 343,079 times
For both the unregistered car and the new car you will need to show proof that you paid sales tax in the state you bought it in. If you don't have proof (and if you haven't been paying registration fees for a number of years to show that it's already been taken care of) then you will need to pay sales tax in CA. In most cases, you should have the necessary documentation. This rule is mainly designed for people trying to get away with something...like not paying sales tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles