Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 04:40 AM

137 posts, read 454,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
If you have bugs that big then you must be in Vietnam. My buddy who served there told me they once mistakenly refueled a Huey (UH-1E helicopter) before they realized it was just a Vietnamese mosquito.

Seriously, you thought I was discussing mosquitoes? Sheesh!
no, no need to go to Vietnam. just come to Venice. i know, i was like you, i didn't believe it either. but mosquitoes breed wherever there is stagnant water, which would be the canals in Venice.

if you click the link i posted before, you will see that, "mosquitoes are the most dangerous animals on Earth."

Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I never visited Vietnam, partly because of the mosquitoes, partly because of the UH-1Es, mostly because of the flying lead... I never understood the "Kill a commie for Christ" thing...

Old 07-24-2012, 12:47 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,150,827 times
I've noticed them too, particularly on the hottest days.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:55 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Volkswagen Beatles

Old 07-24-2012, 07:35 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,875,003 times
My son said.he saw something here like that too

Old 07-25-2012, 04:59 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
That's what the OP was referring to. I know, because I started the topic. Thank you for the correct answer.

Yes, they are not June bugs. I know June bugs because I grew up here in L.A. I had never seen these green monsters before, or since. I had seen June bugs almost every year. Oddly, I haven't seen a single June bug this year...

If you have bugs that big then you must be in Vietnam. My buddy who served there told me they once mistakenly refueled a Huey (UH-1E helicopter) before they realized it was just a Vietnamese mosquito.

It may have been this too:

Cetonia aurata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-25-2012, 05:07 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I saw that in my garden last weekend. They are huge!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times
Quote:
They're big and black and look like bumble bees but they aren't, and if I sense it right they may have an iridescent green or emerald cast to their wings (or body).
What are they? Are they some kind of 12 or 14 year cycle?
I've lived here for decades and I believe I've seen them before, but never in such numbers!
I'm in Connecticut and what you describe does sound like what we call a "horsefly" or a "moosefly". If that is what they are, they WILL bite you and the little ***** sting like hell. Try looking either of them up online..goggle horsefly and see what happens.

Last edited by Count David; 07-25-2012 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: expletive

Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Quote:
That's what the OP was referring to. I know, because I started the topic. Thank you for the correct answer.

Yes, they are not June bugs. I know June bugs because I grew up here in L.A. I had never seen these green monsters before, or since. I had seen June bugs almost every year. Oddly, I haven't seen a single June bug this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I'm in Connecticut and what you describe does sound like what we call a "horsefly" or a "moosefly". If that is what they are, they WILL bite you and the little ***** sting like hell. Try looking either of them up online..goggle horsefly and see what happens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post

As it's been stated they're Fig-Beetles. Mistakingly called June bugs because they tend to come out in June.

June bugs look like flying peanuts with the brown skin (not shell) on.

I don't know what you people want but the correct answer was already posted.

It is for want of a better term a metallic green fig beetle.

You can post all you like about what bug the OP was looking at when he started this topic, but I'm the OP and that's the bug I was looking at, and that's the bug that inspired this topic.

You can continue to post "bugs that look what the OP was asking about" but none of you contenders will be right because the OP question has already been fully answered. My thanks again to harhar who posted the correct winning answer.

It's a metallic green fig beetle, okay?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
It's a metallic green fig beetle, okay?
No it's not. People online know more about what you saw than what you saw. Got it? If it's on the web, it must be true. That is the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles