U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 PM

15,118 posts, read 23,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That would be great if we have cicadas in California because they have a sort of loud singing similar to locusts. But I've never heard of cicadas in the West before.
But we DO have them in CA!!! You need to come hang out with me here in the desert and listen to the continuous buzzing of the cicadas in the trees all around us. Fire a cap gun, or make some loud sound, and they stop for a few seconds, then they go back to that loud buzzing sound. Occasionally you will find a dead one - they are huge!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:15 PM

354 posts, read 320,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We DO have cicadas in CA. In fact, my kids found a dead cicada in the yard yesterday in which a cricket had burrowed a hole and made a home in its underside. The cricket was dead too. It was like a "turducken" - only for insects!
Okay, that was my official guffaw for the day. The new holiday treat!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:22 PM

6,516 posts, read 13,491,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domsey View Post
The fig eating bugs I'm talking about lived in Van Nuys. They are bigger than the brown bugs, and green. Like this: http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/pes...hic16/bug3.jpg

Not sure what you're seeing though, as the green june bugs fly clumsily, much like the brown ones.
That is the bug I keep seeing in the patio. Slow flying, even more clumsy than a june bug if that is possible.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:26 PM

16,591 posts, read 18,434,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I was working in Palm Springs and one of my colleagues got bitten by a vinegaroon, they sent him to the emergency room.
Couldn't have been a vinegaroon, as they lack a sting as well as venom. Unless he reacts allergically to acetic acid, that wasn't a vinegaroon that sent him to the ER.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:30 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,312,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Ugh. They're awful. Far worse than scorpions. Not deadly, but if looks could kill... And to make matters worse, they come in many shades of black and brown, and can modify their color. I once reached for a doorknob and saw something move--it was a vinegaroon that had turned pure white to match the paint! I spent the next few minutes on the opposite side of the room shuddering and exclaiming, "eew! eww!"
Eeek! Eeek! You're really scaring me now!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:35 PM

5,930 posts, read 10,476,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Another bug that is irritating is a flying "daddy long-legs." I don't know the name for these large bugs that look like the spider; they don't bite or sting people. But they fly into the house at night and hang around on the ceiling only to land on my face while I am asleep. Ick!
Those are European Crane Flies.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:38 PM

4,877 posts, read 6,312,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Couldn't have been a vinegaroon, as they lack a sting as well as venom. Unless he reacts allergically to acetic acid, that wasn't a vinegaroon that sent him to the ER.
I recall there was some discussion about something unusual in this, that vinegaroon bites aren't generally that serious. Perhaps then it was some sort of allergic reaction.

Whatever, I give wide berth to scorpions or anything that remotely resembles them. Playing with insects is definitely not my thing, although if you want to play with an insect then a June bug would be a pretty good choice. Or sal bugs. (That's what we called them as kids, probably referring to sow bugs, the ones that roll up in a little ball when you disturb them.)

It's interesting to know that some scorpions glow under UV light. I bought a UV flashlight just to play with next time I camp in the desert. I'm totally a desert rat!

Old 08-14-2010, 01:38 PM

6,516 posts, read 13,491,207 times
From 1979 to 1989 I had a raccoon, he loved June bugs he ate them like pop corn.
After the Med Fly event in So CA, the nightly aerial malathion sprayings we lost June bugs for years. In the past June bugs were on the side of our house under the porch lights about 20 at a time. Now a days you might see one a night. We rescue them out of the pool when we swim, poor little buggers are so stupid they will fly right back in. Also dead at scene are all the frogs and salamanders we used to have around the houses, all lost to malathion.

I think the original bug we are discussing is that Fig bug, about the size of a half dollar coin. Different wing structure but still has the hard shell covering the wings like a June bug.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 PM

16,591 posts, read 18,434,593 times
Quote:
I recall there was some discussion about something unusual in this, that vinegaroon bites aren't generally that serious.
That's because they don't bite...

Quote:
Or sal bugs. (That's what we called them as kids, probably referring to sow bugs, the ones that roll up in a little ball when you disturb them.)
That's what we called them as well. Must be a So Cal in the fifties-sixties thing. Their real name is "Woodlice".

Old 08-14-2010, 01:58 PM

354 posts, read 320,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You're right, and I should have clarified. What we call vinegaroons in Vegas are actually wind scorpions or sun spiders. Seriously ugly, very fast, and those do bite. Can't stand 'em! I once fell out of a chair because I was sitting there flipping through a magazine and there was one between the pages. I launched the magazine across the room. My brother found that rather amusing, the punk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles