Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times

Advertisements

People on stakes worked well for Vlad Tepes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,027,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Smith & Wesson, Marlin, etc. and a sturdy fireproof safe!
Nasty owner, large handgun, hot loads and hollow points, and an irritable noisy dog! If I need to call 911 I'm going to be telling them to not bother with the red lights and siren.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:40 PM

7 posts, read 50,608 times
I have a model 870 remington with a shell ready to be placed in chamber

Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,933,094 times
My Army buddy - Colonel Sam Colt

Old 08-12-2010, 03:20 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
security system? none needed. i guess if i wanted to i could put bars up, or a fence around my yard. blaring sirens and motion sensor lights. would a scarecrow work?

hmmmmmm.
And where can you get those bars? You can create a cemented wall around your home.

I advised my mother to put bars around the home, but she won't hear it. She thinks it's ghetto. I guess she's never seen barred homes in Venice.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,034,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Nasty owner, large handgun, hot loads and hollow points, and an irritable noisy dog! If I need to call 911 I'm going to be telling them to not bother with the red lights and siren.
But isn't it against the law to defend your home with a handgun? America has so many strict gun laws.

Criminals can carry guns, but not law-abiding citizens.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:42 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,519,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
But isn't it against the law to defend your home with a handgun?
Depends on the state ... to simplify things, you can defend your life, but not property.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:09 PM

448 posts, read 1,601,237 times
I'm sorry but bars over windows look so tacky. I guess I would do that if I had a lot of break-ins, but so far (knock on wood), I haven't had any problems. My security system is through Brinks, who renamed themselves Broadview and I heard were recently purchased by ADT. So far, the service seems the same and I like Brinks. Good quality stuff.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:08 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,710,669 times
Quote:
But isn't it against the law to defend your home with a handgun? America has so many strict gun laws.

California has a justifiable homicide(or castle doctrine) law that states that you are not required to retreat in case of a burglary and that lethal force is acceptable. It is conditional, though. In order to use lethal force, you must be threatened(perceived) with great bodily harm. If someone breaks in with a gun, that is justification. If someone breaks in with a wiffleball bat, that isn't.

As far as handguns, it is a poor idea to defend your home with a handgun because it requires precision aiming and lower calibers don't have great stopping power. Handgun bans have been overturned as unconstitutional as well, earlier this year. If you're using an unlicensed weapon I'm sure you'll still get in trouble though. I don't think shotguns require a license

/I am not a lawyer, I am not giving advice that should be taken that way

Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,027,990 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Depends on the state ... to simplify things, you can defend your life, but not property.
Defend your property with your gun in one hand and your phone calling 911 in the other. If the criminal approaches you then you are in serious risk of the criminal taking away your gun and harming you with it, so you shoot.

But if they walk away there's nothing you can do. On the other hand, walking away is what you wanted them to do, right? Then let the police do their job and apprehend the crooks.

If you shoot somebody who is damaging/stealing your property but not threatening your life and wellbeing then you're likely to go to jail and be prosecuted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles